He who dares...... Making an unplayable record come to life

Hammie

Have a white demo of BUSTER AND EDDIE, had it for a while and got it off ebay. The guy selling it

to be fair said it had a nasty edge warp BUT it DID play thro with a lot of weight on his record players

tone arm. Hardly any bids obviously, left well alone too risky ? I put a speculative bid of $75 and actually

won it. When it arrived, sure enough it had a bad edge warp and for the first ten or so revolutions it would

jump wherever at the start grooves i placed the arm. I had to heavily load the tone arm to get playing success.

So I thought oh well I didnt pay a lot for it, it was worth a punt, then I just stuck it in my record box and forgot

about it.

Over time however, and having been asked several times to play a request for BUSTER AND EDDIE it started to 

get to me as I would'nt interfere with peoples Dj equipment to weight up the arm on a deck so I could risk playing

said record.

So I had heard of a crude method to FLATTEN the edge warp so I thought 'he who dares' just give ita go.....

Taking a domestic clothes iron set at the lowest heat I cut a foot square area out of a newspaper(most of the sheets

thickness) and folded the paper in half to a thickness of about 2-3mm. Letting the iron (switched off) cool for about

a couple of minutes I placed the record inside the folded newspaper (2-3mm thick) either side of the record vinyl area

effected by the bad warp. Laying the record with paper either side on a hard flat surface like a kitchen work top I the

applied the nearly toucheable iron plate to the top layer of paper covering the record.Then with a gentle ironing motion

locally over the warp for a minute or two transfering, not to hot a heat thro' the newspaper, I was able to gradually flatten

the offending warp. Doing this did leave a kind of light sheen on the vinyl, obviously apply heat to B SIDE of record but

after a couple of goes I was able to play the record successfully without having to add any weight to the arm. RESULT !!!!

I now have a BUSTER AND EDDIE to play out at gigs, bring on the requests :thumbsup:

Incidentally I dont recommend trying this with a STYRENE record, I just think vinyl is a bit more workable with a heat process.

If you have any records in the same state maybe a cheapie, then give  it a try, remember be patient better to only put a 'warm'

heat into the method and keep checking your record and gradually trying a little more heat and a little longer with the ironing

pressure.   It worked for me          

My Mark 1v on Brite lite was sold to me with a skip(back in 80s),i just pushed down hard on needle and and moved disc back and fourth over skip.Played fine since though i never play it these days.

Got some shirts that need doing Hammie!

Social source share

some dealer gave me a really badly warped eddies my name - parkway , now this does work,  get a big, big book, hold the record over the gas ring on a cooker, quite high above..say 8 inches, watch carefully and it will slowly start to melt, quickly put it in the middle of the book and slam shut, comes out straight as a die and plays fine!!

Social source share

some dealer gave me a really badly warped eddies my name - parkway , now this does work,  get a big, big book, hold the record over the gas ring on a cooker, quite high above..say 8 inches, watch carefully and it will slowly start to melt, quickly put it in the middle of the book and slam shut, comes out straight as a die and plays fine!!

Jules , which book does it have to be , not being much of a reader I may struggle ? :g::thumbsup:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Don't suppose you've any tips for removing scratches on a Roy Roberts caused by Darth Vader's (Lego) head at all? :( I've tried stamping Darth into the floor but the scratch is still there....

...and my heel really hurts........

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!