Newbie questions

young81

I am new to the scene, and I dont know anyone who is into northern soul, most people I know like modern music.

1) I am considering buying a record player. Does anyone know what I should look for? Any brands to recommend? I am after a portable player.

2) Most of my buying will be done via ebay. Is a record labelled rare really rare on ebay or do they put rare to trick unsuspecting buyers? Is there anything I should look out for? My guess is to buy the best my money can afford.

Thanks in advance, although I have listened to a few songs in my short lifetime, most of them have been mp3s. Unfortunately I am finding that the albums tend to duplicate tracks and I am finding it a bit restrictive. I am going into vinyl but am clueless.

Social source share

People use the term rare sometimes to hype up the price on ebay , first purchase should be the price guide and the bootleg guide from john manship to check originals etc

popsike gives a guide of what records have sold for and also check the completed listings on ebay , buy from sellers with good feedback and dealers on here etc that you can trust , decide if you want to collect originals or reissues / bootlegs , both are ok it just depends on what you want to do with them and how much money is available.

Just because a record is expensive doesn't mean its good , listen on youtube etc for most things  , dont buy what your mates like as it will be your collection

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Hi Youngsoulie81. 

1. Why portable? I have a Riga Turntable which is great, pretty basic in terms of design but all the investment goes into the tone arm which is the most important piece.

2. Buy with confidence from many sellers on here. Listen to snippets of the records and buy what you like to listen to, not for its rarity. There's so much good quality stuff to start a collection with without busting the bank.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Watch out for hyped up so called rare records theirs plenty on eBay and alike don't jump in do your research to confirm your purchase and set your self an affordable limit most titles will come around in time start on the cheaper titles if you are new to collecting in case you get caught out most of us have at one time or another good luck the books as suggested are the best start to help guide you good luck some great cheaper end titles around that are over looked - 

Social source share

Research absolutely everthing buying wise!....loads of information on the internet so you can't go wrong.....if you attend do's ask people....people are great and will normally give you loads more info than you need, and sometimes bore you to death with there knowledge!!!!......I suggest looking on here to buy....Pete s, and des Parker (soulinc) are two who sell at very reasonable rates....other sellers are available though!!!....good luck my friend.....kind regards...Rob

Social source share

Some good advice so far Newbie. If you're looking for portable players there are some around but the sound quality is not that great. I think Vestax used to be a popular one, but the most popular was the Sound Burger but they are no longer made, so difficult to pick up. Some great static decks can be had for around 100 or so.

As for collecting the advice you have got so far is good. Look on here for sales as there are many bargins. Check Popsike for price checking and ask any questions on here, everyone will help. Dig into YouTube, as there are tons of soul tunes to listen to, but most of all collect what you like and don't listen to the Charlie's who tell you "this is the next big thing".

There are tons of five quid records which are great. Start there and work up is what I'd say.

Andy

Edited by Andy Mac
spelling
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Some good advice so far Newbie. If you're looking for portable players there are some around but the sound quality is not that great. I think Vestax used to be a popular one, but the most popular was the Sound Burger but they are no longer made, so difficult to pick up. Some great static decks can be had for around 100 or so.

As for collecting the advice you have got so far is good. Look on here for sales as there are many bargins. Check Popsike for price checking and ask any questions on here, everyone will help. Dig into YouTube, as there are tons or soul tunes to listen to, but most of all collect what you like and don't listen to the Charlie's who tell you "this is the next big thing".

there are tons of five quid records which are great. Start there and work up is what I'd say.

Andy

I forgot....like Bitchdj PM me your address and I'll pop you a couple of bits in the post :thumbsup:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Try to find out which types of the music you like ie 60's , northern ,  crossover , r&b , modern , 70's  , oldies etc than ask on here for people to recommend records in that style up to your £ limit

Remember not everyone knows everything and there is a lot of bulls**t spoken by some people on the scene especially if they are looking to buy a record ( its not rare , could have bought it for £10 last week , etc , trying to talk it down ) , or its a floor packer , really rare , not had this since the torch / wigan days etc when they try to sell it

Social source share

Ha-ha.....I love that Dave....... everone is an expert!......just study on the web, listen to everything, find your thing, happy days...your taste will change as time goes on.....it's a fab thing to be into and different to your friends!...you never know they might even get into it, and you can start them on the path of this mad obsession.....good luck.....Rob

Social source share

Hi Youngsoulie81. 

1. Why portable? I have a Riga Turntable which is great, pretty basic in terms of design but all the investment goes into the tone arm which is the most important piece.

2. Buy with confidence from many sellers on here. Listen to snippets of the records and buy what you like to listen to, not for its rarity. There's so much good quality stuff to start a collection with without busting the bank.

The reason why I said portable is because I am a bit limited for space (I live in a one bed flat) and I dont have the space for a great big thing. I was guessing (perhaps wrongly) that a portable would take up less space, meaning more room for records.

Thanks for everyone who took their time to reply, I have been mainly listening on youtube and buying mp3s from amazon, that way I dont feel so bad if it turns out to be rubbish since I can just press delete and not worry about having to sell it. Or go next in the case of youtube.

I will shortly pm those members who have very kindly offered to give me some records - any is welcome!

Social source share

"Support local talent, even if it's not from around here"

Wherever you are there has got to be a dealer, someone with a box full of spares / not really needed, that they can't be assed to put up for sale.
Find out who they are, ( or someone on here speak up) go round their house. You get to play all sorts of bits & pieces , see what shape they're in for real and have a bunny & a beer.
They get a few quid and rid of some stuff, you get some, to you, good stuff.  There are 100s of great records for a few bob.
Someone's probably got a deck, an amp and some dodgy speakers sitting in the attic / shed doing nothing as well.
I have all of that but I'm in NYC which is a long way on the bus.
You might even learn something and find a friend to help you in your quest. There are some great , friendly people on here.
Also some idiots, but that's another topic entirely.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!