memory failing you?...which record did you forget you had?

Bitchdj

i had a dig about after reading the young soulies venture into vinyl buying i thought i will look a few things out for the lad ( i assume its a lad) anyway i do have a lot of records so it took some trawling and i opened a long time untouched box of what from memory i assumed to be garbage...for a start i had forgotten what was in said box and in fact it really wasnt garbage at all...nothing mega rare but some quality records i had forgotten i even had...anyhow i played more than a few and was transported back years and for all the snobbery of record collecting nothing quite compares to a classic oldie...the song that put a smile on my face this evening was jj barnes please let me in...so which records did you forget you had? how and why did you look for them?...did any of them make you say f**k me that sounds good?

Social source share

Ronnie Forte -That Was Whisky Talkin' - Tarx ... :thumbsup:

I can remember where , when , who from and how much with most of my modest collection , but have no recollection of buying this at all ... :lol:

Needless to say it was a very nice surprise whilst trawling through a box , some 20 years since my last purchase ... :yes:

Social source share

Ronnie Forte -That Was Whisky Talkin' - Tarx ... :thumbsup:

I can remember where , when , who from and how much with most of my modest collection , but have no recollection of buying this at all ... :lol:

Needless to say it was a very nice surprise whilst trawling through a box , some 20 years since my last purchase ... :yes:

nice indeed i once drove a car full of soulies mad after one of them asked me did you buy anything tonite? i replied yes and for the life of me could not remember who or what the track was so i sang it to them all the while repeating erm well its on a red label and goes la la la la...oddly enough i can remember where i bought most things but that one eludes me even to this day....i know it was called long time no see bit like me and the dusty record box earlier lol...

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Was about to buy another copy of The Chymes - My baby's gone away (had one years ago before selling up!) and someone found a copy I had bought recently at the back of one of me boxes. Maybe time to start listing what I buy cos I can't remember what came a few weeks ago.

Who're you Bitchdj ? xx

Social source share

On a similar note I bought a motown green and white demo tmg 652 the Isley bros why when the love is gone, when I put it in my  collection of motown demos (around150ish) which were all in order I found I already had tmg 652  Take me in your arms and rock me , and guess what was on the other side !! I felt like a right donut but then again at least I had 2 copies

• Helpful 1
Social source share

nice indeed i once drove a car full of soulies mad after one of them asked me did you buy anything tonite? i replied yes and for the life of me could not remember who or what the track was so i sang it to them all the while repeating erm well its on a red label and goes la la la la...oddly enough i can remember where i bought most things but that one eludes me even to this day....i know it was called long time no see bit like me and the dusty record box earlier lol...

Cookie. Hope your well. Very long time no see. Did you buy anything tonight. !!! When I do that I always end up going back to who I bought the record of to ask them what it was, not just the same night though it will go on for weeks

Steve.X

Social source share

In scarfing up thousands of 45s in the '50s and '60s, I had hundreds of instances of thinking I already had a record and passing it up, only to find that I didn't have it, and going the other way, not sure if I had it, and, so, buying it, only to find that I already had it, with 3-4 extras among my duplicates.  It was impossible to take lists around with me and look all up and down a list each time I looked at a record.  With prolific groups like The Platters, Flamingos, Drifters, and single artists like, Muddy Waters, Bobby Bland, etc., it was virtually impossible to remember which non-hits I had by them, and which I didn't have.  That's how a collector builds up a stock of tradeable and saleable duplicates, in addition to condition upgrading. 

Social source share

There are loads of records I've forgotten I've got, the thing is I can't remember the artists or titles :g:

Like the original poster i had some boxes, in the garage for about 15 years, I had discounted as not good enough, these included multi copies of Big Daddy Rogers, Patience Valentine on SAR, Eskeew Reeder on Instant plus quite a few others that got played as tastes changed.

Edited by Kegsy
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Was about to buy another copy of The Chymes - My baby's gone away (had one years ago before selling up!) and someone found a copy I had bought recently at the back of one of me boxes. Maybe time to start listing what I buy cos I can't remember what came a few weeks ago.

Who're you Bitchdj ? xx

im me i think...who are you? lol.x

Social source share

Cookie. Hope your well. Very long time no see. Did you buy anything tonight. !!! When I do that I always end up going back to who I bought the record of to ask them what it was, not just the same night though it will go on for weeks

Steve.X

im very well thanks just sort  of getting back into the swing of things after a long time in retirement from the scene...never stopped buying mind you thats one addiction i wont ever be cured of...x

Social source share

Guest nickw

Was digging through some boxes just yesterday and found these amongst others!

Travis Wammack - Scratchy (on British Atlantic)

Stevie Kimble  - All The Time In The World (Decca)

Great to hear them again though and B side on the Travis Wammack is just brilliant!

Social source share

Hi Kim. Good to see you're alive and kicking. It's a good place to be when you discover records you didn't realise you had. Recently heard Joe Murphy - So Blue Without You played out, liked it, went and bought it on a white label. Saw it again on a white label this time labelled DJ Copy so bought it. A few weeks later, found Joe Murphy in the Filofax lists of records in the collection, picked up 20 years ago in Pittsburgh - not yet stumbled on this copy but rather hoping it's not a duplicate that will be sold on... not a clue what colour label this is...

Social source share

Hi Kim. Good to see you're alive and kicking. It's a good place to be when you discover records you didn't realise you had. Recently heard Joe Murphy - So Blue Without You played out, liked it, went and bought it on a white label. Saw it again on a white label this time labelled DJ Copy so bought it. A few weeks later, found Joe Murphy in the Filofax lists of records in the collection, picked up 20 years ago in Pittsburgh - not yet stumbled on this copy but rather hoping it's not a duplicate that will be sold on... not a clue what colour label this is...

ive got an issue of joe murphy in sales at the mo...its red 2 cracking sides IMHO..x

• Helpful 1
Social source share

ive got an issue of joe murphy in sales at the mo...its red 2 cracking sides IMHO..x

This gives me hope I actually have an issue tucked away in a box - I just can't visualise it at the moment, but let's hope it's a red one. When I heard it at Soul On The Square at London University Union, I thought great tune, gotta have it but oblivious to its existence in the house. I've often said one of the best places to discover new sounds is in your own collection.

Social source share

Often digging out 45's I've half forgotten or not played for ages - just been spinning (out of the attic) LITTLE TOMMY  ' LOV'H'  / ' I'M HURT ' (Sound of Soul) / PINKOOSHINS ' MAKE IT EASY ' (Mercury) / TIMI YURO ' CAN'T STOP RUNNING AWAY ' (UK Mercury) ... and PATTI STOKES (Mir-a-don) !

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!