Lost Record Boxes, Collection Thefts & GPS Tracking

Not sure if this has been discussed before, but there have been various awful stories circulating about thefts of collections, or lost record boxes, and it got me thinking…
I keep all my 45s in padlocked flight-cases, and maybe I’m a bit paranoid but I was wondering about the use of GPS tracking chips – for instance if you embed them into the internal foam lining of your case.

In particular, I was thinking it might be a good idea to have one embedded and in your playbox for when you take it out and about.

This would need to be linked up, I presume, to some kind of tracking device, or maybe a smart phone app or computer – but if you can chip and track a car/ phone/ bike/ dog/ cat then you can surely chip a record box hey?

I’ve done some background reading on the subject, and there is a plethora of different things, and in truth I have no idea what I’m even looking at yet or what might be appropriate – potentially like with many things I presume that you get what you pay for so it’s going to be worth spending some more time making sure it’s fit for purpose, and then spending some £££.

Has anybody explored this before/ does anyone indeed do this currently – and importantly does anyone have any recommendations?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

It's never occured to me, but it sounds like a very good idea. Unfortunately, I know absolutely nothing about the subject, and suspect there's a bit more to it than we see on TV shows.

Cheers

Mick

Let's face it the thought of a box going missing is a horrendous thought really and for the sake of a few quid, it would be a great thing to pinpoint it on a map on your computer and go retrieve (possibly with a bit of assistance if necessary).

I know they "chip" peoples pets.... so it simply must be possible. 

I will keep on searching for something suitable, and if I come across anything I will update.

Jim

Social source share

Jim, I've had a GPS tracker fitted inside the lid of my main playbox for at least two years now. It comes with a SIM card and a phone number. If I send it a text it sends back its location which you can view on a smartphone Google map. I can also set up a perimeter so if the box goes outside this area then the device sends me a text with its location. It comes with two rechargable batteries and the SIM card. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/111201679112? This is the one I use, though there are many others. It just gives you that added security if you leave your box in a taxi or something like that. I'm also a geek so like a gadget. 

Edited by Des Crombie
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Jim, I've had a GPS tracker fitted inside the lid of my main playbox for at least two years now. It comes with a SIM card and a phone number. If I phone it it sends back its location which you can view on a smartphone Google map. I can also set up a perimeter so if the box goes outside this area then the device sends me a text with its location. It comes with two rechargable batteries and the SIM card. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/111201679112? This is the one I use, though there are many others. It just gives you that added security if you leave your box in a taxi or something like that. I'm also a geek so like a gadget. 

Great stuff Des, thanks for the recommendation - exactly the sort of thing I'm after!

Jim

• Helpful 1
Social source share

No problem Jim, I have mine cut into the soft foam in the lid of my record box but it is about half an inch in depth so it may not fit some boxes in the same way. As its not bolted onto the lid I also move it to other record boxes if I use them out and about too. I just take a few less records and put it in a record mailer then place the mailer in my box. Someone needs to invent one that's fits into 45 centre hole. 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!