For Vinyl Collectors Only

Guest Brett

What is the thrill of collecting rare soul vinyl to you all about...?

As an avid and near obsessive vulture of this wonderful and at times ' soul' destroying addiction, I often wonder why I am a filthy and depraved slave to this sexual and dominant force that is the VINYL RECORD..(7" or 12") Is it just the sheer thrill of the chase and the near suicidal feeling of a love lost that drives the vinyl addict to these depths of despair...I believe we are akin to the heroin addict that like me and you seeks the 'Holy Grail' at any cost. Like the addict we seek and capture the thing near and dear to us. When upon capturing it we place the Raven spherical object upon the altar........My throat then becomes dry, my index finger feels the weight of Damocles, but I let the stylus fall and at the moment of contact, everything becomes apparent.............the signal runs through the cable like the heroin through the junkies blood stream, it reaches the Easter Island like monuments of speakers...then attacks the nerve endings resulting in a nuclear and rabid explosion that results in near like euphoria..........I GUESS WE WON......

Edited by Brett
Social source share

• Replies 14
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

What no collectors.........but i know hundreds........only the baggies and self obssesed followers of fashion(albeit very dubious......well us up North laugh at it.......) don't collect records........

Edited by Brett
Social source share

I believe we are akin to the heroin addict that like me and you seeks the 'Holy Grail' at any cost.......

Flowery bit of prose that Brett :yes:

Once at a Blackburn nighter, I was chatting ( as you do!!) to Graham Conroy and seeing Saus on his usual trawl through the record boxes,said, "Look at Saus still searching for the Holy Grail," Graham threw back, "Well he'll never find it, 'cos I've fukcing got it!" :yes:

Social source share

However the feeling of euphoria is only short-lived, before long the record is lost in the murky depths of ye olde record box (or ikea shelving :yes: ). And the strange yearning feeling returns and washes over oneself, as you move onto the next one down on the wants lists. wacko.gif

Edited by Supercorsa
Social source share

Guest mrs norman maine

Once at a Blackburn nighter, I was chatting ( as you do!!) to Graham Conroy and seeing Saus on his usual trawl through the record boxes,said, "Look at Saus still searching for the Holy Grail," Graham threw back, "Well he'll never find it, 'cos I've fukcing got it!" :yes:

:yes:

Social source share

Their should be a Syndrome for this addiction and Psychiatrists paid large sums of money to cure some of us. How about Pychotherapy groups for Soul addicts! No medication required on this one as or maybe they should have pills with micro photos of records on them. Yep Im talking crap but guess what some bloody idiot will be on News at whatever time it is discussing with some quack about this horrible disease which affects our nation - Its called collecting soul records! Maybe not today but in a few years time. Its time to go and lie down!

Social source share

Their should be a Syndrome for this addiction and Psychiatrists paid large sums of money to cure some of us. How about Pychotherapy groups for Soul addicts! No medication required on this one as or maybe they should have pills with micro photos of records on them. Yep Im talking crap but guess what some bloody idiot will be on News at whatever time it is discussing with some quack about this horrible disease which affects our nation - Its called collecting soul records! Maybe not today but in a few years time. Its time to go and lie down!

Hence the diagnosis of Vinylitis, or Vinyphilia?

Social source share

Oh My God Ernie....It would be like finding someone to cure you of Lust.

Regards

A Vinyl Whore

Social source share

As an avid and near obsessive vulture of this wonderful and at times ' soul' destroying addiction, I often wonder why I am a filthy and depraved slave to this sexual and dominant force that is the VINYL RECORD..(7" or 12") Is it just the sheer thrill of the chase and the near suicidal feeling of a love lost that drives the vinyl addict to these depths of despair...I believe we are akin to the heroin addict that like me and you seeks the 'Holy Grail' at any cost. Like the addict we seek and capture the thing near and dear to us. When upon capturing it we place the Raven spherical object upon the altar........My throat then becomes dry, my index finger feels the weight of Damocles, but I let the stylus fall and at the moment of contact, everything becomes apparent.............the signal runs through the cable like the heroin through the junkies blood stream, it reaches the Easter Island like monuments of speakers...then attacks the nerve endings resulting in a nuclear and rabid explosion that results in near like euphoria..........I GUESS WE WON......

wicked.gif:shhh::shhh::lol:

Social source share

Guest MARTIN SNOW

although very few people on this site will probably like the record musically, they will definately id with the lyrics. its a downtempo hip hop style groove by Fink, from about 2000/01, in which the vocalist talks of his overwhelming addiction to collecting records. Starts off "No matter how many records I own I'm never gonna be satisfied, this addiction is driving me crazy...." sure it can be heard somewhere on the net.

Social source share

Know where you are coming from Brett whistling.gif Well sort of :(:(

Does anyone, like me, find that the lables appeal from an artistic point of view, as well as the music contained within the vinyl ?

Strangly enough i was thinking of putting a thread up to that effect the other day.

I think the Okeh demo's with the flesh coloured A are the most quintisential 60's Northern lable but some of the others are great too. Got a "Tuff" demo due to come in the post, absolutly beautiful if you have never seen one !

Added a pic, aint she beautiful eh ? Great tune that too :lol:

Tuff_demo.jpg(post-5566-1157585628.jpg

Edited by Bogue
Social source share

Does anyone, like me, find that the lables appeal from an artistic point of view, as well as the music contained within the vinyl ?

Many's the time I've set out to play some records and ended up just looking at 'em, love me labels, like "SEEL" comes to mind, a lovely bright pinky/red colour whistling.gif

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!