Steve Lane

Pegs....what`s your preference?

Being quite new to this house-husbandry (Not yet able to get back working after spinal surgery, that`s my excuse) I was pegging out the washing the other day....(why waste the the free life-giving drying power of our nearest star? ):g: and as I marveled at the family of  pigeons in next doors big conifer which over hangs our yarden were crapping on my wheelie-bins again..... I noticed we have an assortment of clothes pegs, plastic hinged ones, plastic one-piece, about 3 different types of wooden ones including the ever reliable old standard one with the kind of mouse-trappy springs. And I wondered, what`s the preferred choice of the SS members. This would make a very interesting summertime thread.

Personally....and this is only my preference, in no way am I trying to sway anyone's choice.......I would choose the old fashioned wooden ones we all loved through our childhood.

Over to you! :thumbsup: 

I'm not allowed to buy the pegs but I seem to have permission to use them- "Don't forget to put the washing out- I'm going now" as Gill exits.

The only type allowed are the old "dolly" type , wood and no springs. Hard to find now so any small hardware shop in far flung towns have to be checked out for proper pegs. Stocks have to be replenished as they tend to split due to the wood being machine sawn and not split like they used to be, progress eh.

Rick

This thread has finally convinced me that the majority of regular posters on Soul Source are "Three Sheets To The Wind" as my grandma used to say.

As to the question of pegs, it obvious really, the answer is blowing in the wind.

And if they're very lucky, a mangle.

But that would surely require in depth and comprehensive training, for them to operate such a sophisticated, complicated and dangerous piece of equipment.

But that would surely require in depth and comprehensive training, for them to operate such a sophisticated, complicated and dangerous piece of equipment.

Yes, my Aunty Mabel had a bit of a mishap with the aforementioned machinery.

I didn't realise there was a right way and a wrong way to hang clothes out to dry :ohmy:  my Mrs. asked me to put some out the other week

and I was cruelly ridiculed and slightly humiliated to be honest :lol:.

The reason was , I had been foolish enough to hang the shirts from the Shoulders and the trousers/Jeans by the bottom and not the waist !!!:huh:

Apparently you should hang from the middle , i.e. waistband of trousers/Jeans and bottom of shirts , but you all new that I suppose lol !!

Swifty

I find retractable washing lines very handy, and probably one of the major innovations in home laundry during the latter part of the last century.  That, combined with an extendable prop and a hanging peg bag, and the womenfolk of today have never had it so good.

PS I've just noticed that someone has stolen the wife's knickers off the washing line.  They can keep the knickers but she'd like the two dozen pegs back.

I didn't realise there was a right way and a wrong way to hang clothes out to dry :ohmy:  my Mrs. asked me to put some out the other week

and I was cruelly ridiculed and slightly humiliated to be honest :lol:.

The reason was , I had been foolish enough to hang the shirts from the Shoulders and the trousers/Jeans by the bottom and not the waist !!!:huh:

Apparently you should hang from the middle , i.e. waistband of trousers/Jeans and bottom of shirts , but you all new that I suppose lol !!

Swifty

Once again the breadth and depth of knowledge on Soul Source proves invaluable, what would we do without it ?.

Due to the new found interest in traditional clothes pegs, the government have issued a warning to soul sourcers to expect a massive influx of Rumanian and Gypsy members. No soul source spokesman was available for comment, due to them all being confined in dark rooms and drinking soup through straws, after the recent update.

Edited by Kegsy

Swifty

I was always told to peg shirts underneath the armpits. Something about maximum drying combined with minumum creasing.

Have I been doing it wrong all these years?

:facepalm:

:hypo:

:dash2:

Some jobs best left to the experts. :yes:

Edited by MBarrett

Once again the breadth and depth of knowledge on Soul Source proves invaluable, what would we do without it ?.

Join us later today when we'll be discussing that most quintessential of English tea time treats, the Victoria Sponge Cake.

Join us later today when we'll be discussing that most quintessential of English tea time treats, the Victoria Sponge Cake.

No matter what pegs you use mate, you won't get a sponge cake to hang on the line, you're just being silly now.:D

Due to the new found interest in traditional clothes pegs, the government have issued a warning to soul sourcers to expect a massive influx of Rumanian and Gypsy members. No soul source spokesman was available for comment, due to them all being confined in dark rooms and drinking soup through straws, after the recent update.

all called Papa Lazarou

How very modern we all are whatever next manbags and guyliner.

I'm not too sure I like the sound of Guy Liner, don't know what it is and not sure I actually want to, especially before breakfast..

Edited by Kegsy

I do like a bit of order in my life. (Some say mild OCD LOL!)

All of each colour facing the same way too!

And when using two pegs on a garment always prefer two of the same colour! :D

IMG_1931.JPG

Edited by MBarrett

I was always told to peg shirts underneath the armpits. Something about maximum drying combined with minumum creasing.

Have I been doing it wrong all these years?

:facepalm:

:hypo:

:dash2:

Some jobs best left to the experts. :yes:

What ! No Yellow pegs , tut tut .. :ohmy:

Edited by SWIFTY

I no longer have the conundrum of which type of peg to use.  I have now started taking all my dirty clothes to charity shops.  After they've washed and ironed them I buy them back for a pittance.

Edited by Steve S 60

I no longer have the conundrum of which type of peg to use.  I have now started taking all my dirty clothes to charity shops.  After they've washed and ironed them I buy them back for a pittance.

Looking at your picture, would that be the same charity shop you got them from "as new". :thumbsup:

Looking at your picture, would that be the same charity shop you got them from "as new". :thumbsup:

I'm a firm believer in recycling.  Waste not want not, and all that.  Incidentally, a clothes peg baited with a small piece of poo makes an ideal fly trap.

I'm a firm believer in recycling.  Waste not want not, and all that.  Incidentally, a clothes peg baited with a small piece of poo makes an ideal fly trap.

I've never understood this recycling carry on, if i have cycled somewhere why would I go back and do it again.

I've never understood this recycling carry on, if i have cycled somewhere why would I go back and do it again.

I cycle to work and back every day, so a regular recycler...  :)

Regarding the proper way to hang tops, please pay attention Dave Rimmer, if they are made of woven material, like a button down Ben Sherman, you can pretty much hang them any way you like, but if they are made of KNITTED material, they MUST be hung from the bottom hem of they will get stretched out of shape...!

I cycle to work and back every day, so a regular recycler...  :)

Living at the top of a big hill, I used to free wheel down to work in the morning, and push my bike up the hill in the evening.  Does that make me a unicyclist?

Living at the top of a big hill, I used to free wheel down to work in the morning, and push my bike up the hill in the evening.  Does that make me a unicyclist?

No Steve, it makes you a wuss:wicked: Or a delivery boy for Hovis

No Steve, it makes you a wuss:wicked: Or a delivery boy for Hovis

Used to be an errand boy for a department store when I was at school, and I had a  butchers bike that weighed a ton, no gears, big basket on the front, and I don't think Bradley Wiggins could have rode it up some of the hills in town, especially not loaded up with parcels.  Great downhill until you had to stop with the ropey caliper brakes.

Used to be an errand boy for a department store when I was at school, and I had a  butchers bike that weighed a ton, no gears, big basket on the front, and I don't think Bradley Wiggins could have rode it up some of the hills in town, especially not loaded up with parcels.  Great downhill until you had to stop with the ropey caliper brakes.

I had a fixed wheel bike as a boy and that could be fun, balancing on one pedal, fine downhill, but a beast otherwise.  I've tried cycling up Gold Hill in Shaftesbury too, the one in the Hovis add, and failed miserably, and that was on a mountain bike with 27 gears!!

Has the in depth and invigorating discussion relating to the mechanics, dynamics,chemical make up and relative colouration of apparel hanging implements now pegged out ?.

Has the in depth and invigorating discussion relating to the mechanics, dynamics,chemical make up and relative colouration of apparel hanging implements now pegged out ?.

I think it's been hung out to dry.

I use the wooden ones in the freezer to fasten opened bags of vegetables, the plastic ones tend to perish for some unknown reason (to me, as I failed chemistry), but the wooden ones survive.  I just have to keep the dog away from them.

Comment now!

Comments are members only

Join Soul Source - Free & easy!

Sign in

Sign in here.

Sign in now!

Adverts

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.