Pete S

Bowel Screening - worth a read

Just back from the hospital after the Bowel Scope Screening. I was invited to attend this by the NHS who are targeting 55 year old men, I thought I'd be stupid not to have the check so off I went. Was it embarassing? No. Did it hurt? A little bit towards the end but no big deal. The results? Absolutely all clear. So that's one less thing to worry about.
The nurse told me that 45% of all men who book this test cancel their appointments for whatever reason, usually due to embarassment. I'd say if you're invited to go for the test, what is 10 minutes worth of embarassment compared to knowing that you're free of any bowel problems (for now anyway).
And I'd also like to thank the (all female) staff at Russells Hall Hospital for being absolutely brilliant with me and making me very comfortable.

Just back from the hospital after the Bowel Scope Screening. I was invited to attend this by the NHS who are targeting 55 year old men, I thought I'd be stupid not to have the check so off I went. Was it embarassing? No. Did it hurt? A little bit towards the end but no big deal. The results? Absolutely all clear. So that's one less thing to worry about.
The nurse told me that 45% of all men who book this test cancel their appointments for whatever reason, usually due to embarassment. I'd say if you're invited to go for the test, what is 10 minutes worth of embarassment compared to knowing that you're free of any bowel problems (for now anyway).
And I'd also like to thank the (all female) staff at Russells Hall Hospital for being absolutely brilliant with me and making me very comfortable.

Pete

Great news about the results matey.

Just had one myself & as you say not the best experience of my life but nowhere near bad enough to miss it.The piece of mind of finding out the all clear results (which I got also) out weighs any discomfort or embarrassment imo.

Cheers

Martyn

Is it a camera up the jacksee job (or colonoscopy to give it the correct title)?  Having been diagnosed with Crohn's Disease in the late 90's, I have a colonoscopy every 2 years or so.  The worst bit of the procedure is the industrial drain cleaner you have to drink beforehand, in order to completely clean out the bowels.  Reserve the shithouse for a couple of hours, because once that stuff kicks in it's like a tsunami.  Watching the live feed on the monitor is interesting, but the constant stream of air blowing out of the tube to keep the camera clean can be uncomfortable.

Steve, didn't have to drink anything, was sent a do it yourself enema kit

Hopefully in a plain brown package.  I suppose because they examine the whole of my lower intestine they need to go up further than an enema would reach.  The only time I've had an enema was in an Italian Naval hospital in La Spezia, performed by two male nurses.  At least I hope they were nurses.  They didn't speak English, and I was actually in hospital for a broken nose.  I just assumed they were being thorough.

When I was 60 I received a screening letter from the NHS with what seemed like a scratch card. You took a sample and smeared it on one of the lift up tabs and then posted it off. Some poor bastard has to screen it for blood. Fortunately, it was all clear.

I had a Colonoscopy with gas and air a couple of years ago. I have two siblings who have had cancer so was tested.  I have had more comfortable experiences. The clearout medication is something else. The world drops out of your bottom. The camera thing? I have had more comfortable experiences.  The staff at Leigh Infirmary were bloody marvelous.

Don't hesitate get it done it's not too bad and the staff are really good, same goes for getting your prostate checked out. The most unpleasant experience for me was an endoscopy twice, not that I'm a hypochondriac or anything.

stateside

yes,same here three tabs, of it went and wait for the

results,mine was also clear,thank goodness.

ricky.

once you reach 60 you get one of these tests to do every 2 years. It's a no brainier really for a couple of minutes inconvenience .

Comment now!

Comments are members only

Join Soul Source - Free & easy!

Sign in

Sign in here.

Sign in now!

Related Soul Music Links

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.