Modern Soul Lovers

TenyuHamakiRolandTreaudoManuelHerreraJr.jpg

Funkkkky! Modern soul isn't my bag - I'm rooted well into the 60's sound, preferably R&B but moreso hitting the Latin riff's right now.Anyhow, got an email today from Hollygrove Records - there are sound files available there for listening... They're plugging a new album by Family Underground called Once In A Lifetime. I must say, even for modern soul, the vocals are chocolaty and drizzle down your neck like honey. Call me racist but you can't beat a black singer, EVER! They are just awesome (sorry white guys, you just don't cut it!). Kudos to you guys, I'm sure you'll sell lots of albums here in the UK and indeed, across the World. One small criticism though... $50 for an album's a bit steep init? Especially for 8 tracks! That's if your website lists the entire playlist from the album... 4 tracks each side is what I see.

After a year's worth of committed work we've finally finished one of the best soul albums ever recorded in New Orleans.

Please note majority sales are royalties paid to Family Underground musicians who persevere and struggle daily in the aftermath of Katrina.

I don't like the 'feel sorry for us' paragraph at the end... very shallow! And the trouble is, only half the amount of people will shell out 50 dollars after umming and aahing... so if you'd made it more reasonable in price you would have seen more sales because 20 dollars doesn't need so much thought. After all, good music sells because it's good, not because the public should feel sorry for you. That said, the production sounds sweet but I shalln't be buying it as it's not my bag as I said. Plenty will though. Good luck guys thumbup1.gif
Social source share

• Replies 36
  • Views 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

TenyuHamakiRolandTreaudoManuelHerreraJr.jpg

Funkkkky! Modern soul isn't my bag - I'm rooted well into the 60's sound, preferably R&B but moreso hitting the Latin riff's right now.Anyhow, got an email today from Hollygrove Records - there are sound files available there for listening... They're plugging a new album by Family Underground called Once In A Lifetime. I must say, even for modern soul, the vocals are chocolaty and drizzle down your neck like honey. Call me racist but you can't beat a black singer, EVER! They are just awesome (sorry white guys, you just don't cut it!). Kudos to you guys, I'm sure you'll sell lots of albums here in the UK and indeed, across the World. One small criticism though... $50 for an album's a bit steep init? Especially for 8 tracks! That's if your website lists the entire playlist from the album... 4 tracks each side is what I see.

I don't like the 'feel sorry for us' paragraph at the end... very shallow! And the trouble is, only half the amount of people will shell out 50 dollars after umming and aahing... so if you'd made it more reasonable in price you would have seen more sales because 20 dollars doesn't need so much thought. After all, good music sells because it's good, not because the public should feel sorry for you. That said, the production sounds sweet but I shalln't be buying it as it's not my bag as I said. Plenty will though. Good luck guys thumbup1.gif

nah, but thanks for the tip angel XX laugh.gif

Social source share

They're plugging a new album by Family Underground called Once In A Lifetime. I must say, even for modern soul, the vocals are chocolaty and drizzle down your neck like honey. Call me racist but you can't beat a black singer, EVER! They are just awesome (sorry white guys, you just don't cut it!). Kudos to you guys, I'm sure you'll sell lots of albums here in the UK and indeed, across the World. One small criticism though... $50 for an album's a bit steep init? Especially for 8 tracks! That's if your website lists the entire playlist from the album... 4 tracks each side is what I see.

You need to change your name to 60sonlysoulgirl as Soulgirl could obviously get you in trouble with the Trades Descriptions people!! :shhh: "Even for modern soul" . . . what a ridiculous statement to come out with!! :shhh:thumbsup.gif:lol:

Social source share

What do you mean... a ridiculous statement - which statement exactly. Please elaborate laugh.gif

I believe I quoted the relevant bit . . "Even for modern soul".

Social source share

I believe I quoted the relevant bit . . "Even for modern soul".

I fail to see how it was a ridiculous statement. It's how I feel about modern soul. The vocals were great.. I just don't like the production of modern. Not gritty nor emotionally charged enough for me.

Social source share

It's ridiculous to generalise in such a way about any genre. "Modern soul" doesn't just actually consist of music that is played under that guise at northern soul events you know!! laugh.gif

Edited by Dodger
Social source share

"Modern soul" doesn't just actually consist of music that is played under that guise at northern soul events you know!!

I know that... I'm not stupid! If I didn't generalise my post would have been 25 fooking feet long! The point I was making, before you decided that disection was required, was that I don't like it!

I apologise for bringing a new album of modern soul to the attention of modern soul likers.

Jesus, do we now have to write politically correct fucking posts to appease every reader? girl_sigh.gif

Social source share

"Modern soul" doesn't just actually consist of music that is played under that guise at northern soul events you know!!

Still 'not a very nice sound' wherever it's played laugh.gif:shhh:

Wonder if you would have re-acted the same if someone had said oldies were S*** Shane ?

Over zealous mate, it was tongue in cheek hence the whistling smily & the smiling smily

get real eh ?

Edited by Bogue
Social source share

do we have to read posts like this!?

i suggest you edit the swearing out of your posts and refrain from doing it again.

gabriel, that post is just not welcome. delete it or i will. not having crap like this on here.

can we start respecting the forum and it's members please.

Shane

Social source share

Do I have to read posts like this?
That's rather sarcastic and belitteling with a rather boorish tone.

It's ok for threads such as the nonsense Marcelle had to put up with then?

The swear word was an extension, an exacerbation, of my feelings, not a personal insult to a particular person. It added oomph to those feelings to portray how annoyed I was at remarks pertaining to my intelligence not to mention an undermining of my zeal for a genre I hold so close to my heart.

Gabriele was making it clear that he doesn't like the modern genre, that's clear. Again, not a personal attack to an individual and seeing as I made the initial post, I certainly don't feel offended by his remark.

Social source share

do we have to read posts like this!?

i suggest you edit the swearing out of your posts and refrain from doing it again.

gabriel, that post is just not welcome. delete it or i will. not having crap like this on here.

can we start respecting the forum and it's members please.

Shane

One other thing, could you please enlighten me as to the difference between S*** & Cr**

Social source share

The swear word was an extension, an exacerbation, of my feelings, not a personal insult to a particular person. It added oomph to those feelings to portray how annoyed I was at remarks pertaining to my intelligence not to mention an undermining of my zeal for a genre I hold so close to my heart.

Gabriele was making it clear that he doesn't like the modern genre, that's clear. Again, not a personal attack to an individual and seeing as I made the initial post, I certainly don't feel offended by his remark.

Where did I make any undermining comments on what you like???????????? If anyone was undermining anyone's zeal for a genre someone holds so close to their heart it was you doing it to me!!!!!!!! whistling.gif:(:(

Social source share

Where did I make any undermining comments on what you like???????????? If anyone was undermining anyone's zeal for a genre someone holds so close to their heart it was you doing it to me!!!!!!!! :(:(:(

I've checked out your website.. surely, you should be making positive comments about this album rather than concentrating on the negatives of what you feel I've put across.

You're a modern fan, I'm not! Don't tie me to a tree and set me on fire... I posted the information as I felt others might be interested... not to start a genre war.

Thanks for the information about the CD by the way. :yes:whistling.gif:lol:

Will you pay the 50 dollars then? bigwink.gif

Social source share

No difference at all Gabriel.

It appears you are fluent in speaking both.

As must be you if you are so expert at being able to desiphor it, eh :(

P.s.

What's " Cunnie" long for ? whistling.gif:(

Edited by Bogue
Social source share

Hi Karen,

I don't think you understand what Hollygrove the 17th ward of New Orleans is like today. I was there a few months ago and its a ghostown. At least 95% of the homes have been untouched since the flood and are still rotting over a year later. You see the few living there because they have a FEMA trailer in their front yard. Obviously the media doesn't show what is and isn't going on in New Orleans, its simply bad publicity to inform the public the city especially the poor black communities weren't intended to be rebuilt. When I walked around Hollygrove taking pictures the only sign of life I saw were methamphetamine dealers driving around their cars making transactions dead middle of the road.

Is it shallow to provide a charity benefit where anyone who buys the album is giving a direct $27.50 donation to Family Underground artists? If you don't care about New Orleans or its musical heritage perhaps you should encourage people to give their money to the Red Cross where it gets recycled back into the military industry to help fund our oil wars.

And yes one should buy the album on its musical merit which is self evident, also understand there is no other soul label today that presses vinyl directly from the master tapes ie the exact same way all your records from the sixties and seventies were made. Everyone else cuts from CD and fails to preserve vintage music as what it really is a historical artifact. The senior engineer at Frankford Wayne Michael Sarsfield mastered this record and told me this is the first time in 12 years he's cut from dolby tape, been so long the tape machine had to be repaired for my sessions.

You can see some pictures I took in June in this thread:

https://www.fryer-mantis.co.uk/modules.php?...opic&t=6307

There must be better things to do than slag off a fundraiser for Family Underground, whether you're aware of it or not does not change the fact they are real victims of Katrina.

Social source share

Great pics tenyu, well not so great for the people of New Orleans, but you know what i mean, and $50 seems hardly much for a Album to help bring soul music back to a city devestated buy the affects of a natural disaster........hardly shallow is it :rolleyes:

Social source share

If you're trying to make me feel guilty about what I have written you wont :rolleyes: There are disasters all over the world that don't get help either... unable to do anything to raise funds let alone cut records. Not to mention the poor kids of Brazil and Etheopia who forrage for life on rubbish dumps - no one to help them either really.

Personally I think it's disgusting that America hasn't sorted this out - that's the bit I DON'T understand. And what about insurance - buildings/contents - larger scale city policies etc? Unbelievable that there hasn't been any way in which to get the rebuilding started. Anyway, I'm babbling on now :rolleyes:

Hope you paid good money for your records and 15 reels :sleep3:

Social source share

If you're trying to make me feel guilty about what I have written you wont :rolleyes: There are disasters all over the world that don't get help either... unable to do anything to raise funds let alone cut records. Not to mention the poor kids of Brazil and Etheopia who forrage for life on rubbish dumps - no one to help them either really.

Personally I think it's disgusting that America hasn't sorted this out - that's the bit I DON'T understand. And what about insurance - buildings/contents - larger scale city policies etc? Unbelievable that there hasn't been any way in which to get the rebuilding started. Anyway, I'm babbling on now :sleep3:

Hope you paid good money for your records and 15 reels :lol:

Fully agree Karen. If $27.50 is going to charity that leaves $22.50 - still more than double the price of a CD so they are making an extremely healthy profit.

What happened was a tragedy - but shouldn't the government of the self proclaimed "greatest nation on earth" be dealing with it? In fact, why haven't they?

Oh, and on the off chance that this is still a soul music forum, I'm afraid I didn't really like the tracks on the site - but I respect the right of others to like them! :rolleyes:

J.

Social source share

Fully agree Karen. If $27.50 is going to charity that leaves $22.50 - still more than double the price of a CD so they are making an extremely healthy profit.

What happened was a tragedy - but shouldn't the government of the self proclaimed "greatest nation on earth" be dealing with it? In fact, why haven't they?

Oh, and on the off chance that this is still a soul music forum, I'm afraid I didn't really like the tracks on the site - but I respect the right of others to like them! :lol:

J.

yeah it still a soul music site

If you're trying to make me feel guilty about what I have written you wont :lol: There are disasters all over the world that don't get help either... unable to do anything to raise funds let alone cut records. Not to mention the poor kids of Brazil and Etheopia who forrage for life on rubbish dumps - no one to help them either really.

Personally I think it's disgusting that America hasn't sorted this out - that's the bit I DON'T understand. And what about insurance - buildings/contents - larger scale city policies etc? Unbelievable that there hasn't been any way in which to get the rebuilding started. Anyway, I'm babbling on now :P

Hope you paid good money for your records and 15 reels :P

shallow

Social source share

Mike, I've never said I'm anything else. I'm me, honest, brutal and quite clearly a nauseating bimbo. However, the post you chose to example my shallowness wasn't really shallow at all :lol:

I do say about myself:

Now, apart from my obvious obsession with Northern Soul I am also a back seat whiner, rambunctious muppetatious nauseating bimbo and attention whore of chronic proportions. You will find that my blog is littered with obscenities, outspoken views and outrageous contempt! I make no apology I am what I am, which to be fair is passionate and honest. If you're offended then don't bother to complain, just don't come here again!
Edited by ♫ Soulgirl ♫
Social source share

Hope you paid good money for your records and 15 reels :lol:

What are you referring to? I don't pay anything for their records or masters. I broker artists' old stock for a small commission and manufacture/retail unreleased masters. The artists get payed when their music sells because they still own their music, I only take 10% copyright for the endless amount of work required in running a record label, which amounts to nothing without licensing deals.

Calling yourself a blonde bimbo bitch doesn't excuse to insinuate I'm ripping anyone off. :lol:

Social source share

J.

That's hilarious.

Never heard of business costs huh?

This thread is great, bunch of pop oldies fans griping about a soul record they don't like.

Social source share

What are you referring to? I don't pay anything for their records or masters. I broker artists' old stock for a small commission and manufacture/retail unreleased masters. The artists get payed when their music sells because they still own their music, I only take 10% copyright for the endless amount of work required in running a record label, which amounts to nothing without licensing deals.

Calling yourself a blonde bimbo bitch doesn't excuse to insinuate I'm ripping anyone off. :lol:

I didn't insinuate that at all.. you must feel guilty :lol: I merely stated that I hoped you had paid for those recordings.

Come on, I'm not belittling what you do at all. I'm from a small quarter of the English Isle.... I know nothing about soul nor do you know nothing about me.

I'm obviously a 60's fan yet get attacked because I bring to the attention of soul-source an album that'll potentially make them money.Free advertising. No one else has mentioned this album at all have they?

I have, and for my trouble I get fucking slated!

In truth I don't like it. I hope it sells loads as they're obviously brilliant artists (as I said, the vocals are fab) and I'm sorry for the shite sorry affair in their area. It's not my fucking fault and I don't have to bow to the atrocities that occur there nor do I have to pay for it.

Jesus... for advertising something that doesn't appeal to me I'm cornered and flogged. You should be glad that someone is blowing a trumpet into their corner for this unheard of album not slashing the wrists that deliver the news.

Social source share

I don't consider the original post pasted onto your visually disturbing blog site advertising at all. That is belittling by association and though not too worried about its influence would be nice if you took it down.

blush.gif

Social source share

It's my opinion... I'm entitled to that Tenyu. I haven't done any more than report on what I saw or heard. That's my prerogative.

My blog is my personal thoughts... it's not there for debate whether it should be there or not. Sorry.

No personal offence to you, or anyone else. If I'm not permitted to convey my true feelings I might as well die.

As I say.. if you don't like it, don't complain - just don't visit again.

hug4.gif

Social source share

visually disturbing blog

How dare you say that! That's as belitteling as you say my blog entry was? judge.gif

Don't worry.. I'm a blog whore.. it'll be off my front page in 48 hours girl_sigh.gif

Social source share

Almost as offensive as your avatar. blush.gif

thanks! :D

Moderators! I would like to officially complain about this member. How dare he report that I'm offensive in looks. How dare he offend the ugly of this world. I'm truly offended.

You've not only hurt my feelings, you've hurt the feelings of all ugliness across the globe! I cannot believe on one hand you're jubilant of the lives of others yet so freely dismiss and throw away the sad lives of those such as I. You took me, screwed me up in one hand, and threw me in the waste paper basket. I'm left reeling.. feeling like a spent prostitute with nothing but a soggy pair of pants as a memory. The sky has turned grey, my night dark. My memory ruined by your ugliness remarks. I'm scathed... I'm hurt and belittled... I'm left hung in mid air like a discarded oak leaf in the Autumnal breeze left to become some sodden sludge in the cycle of the seasons of this pathetic planet.

Because I have faith in mankind, and because I know you're using me I'll pour another beer and praise the soul god for forgiveness .... praise soul in every genre, down every avenue.... in every key :D

Tenyu... you owe me a beer!

Edited by ♫ Soulgirl ♫
Social source share

blonde bimbo bitch

Oh! shock1.gif You added blond and bitch! I never mentioned those two words at all!! girl_cray.gif

You're embracing all that's bimbo and appending it to me... to someone you don't know, I'm heartbroken mended_heart.gif

Edited by ♫ Soulgirl ♫
Social source share

Moderators! I would like to officially complain about this member. How dare he report that I'm offensive in looks. How dare he offend the ugly of this world. I'm truly offended.

You've not only hurt my feelings, you've hurt the feelings of all ugliness across the globe! I cannot believe on one hand you're jubilant of the lives of others yet so freely dismiss and throw away the sad lives of those such as I. You took me, screwed me up in one hand, and threw me in the waste paper basket. I'm left reeling.. feeling like a spent prostitute with nothing but a soggy pair of pants as a memory. The sky has turned grey, my night dark. My memory ruined by your ugliness remarks. I'm scathed... I'm hurt and belittled... I'm left hung in mid air like a discarded oak leaf in the Autumnal breeze left to become some sodden sludge in the cycle of the seasons of this pathetic planet.

Because I have faith in mankind, and because I know you're using me I'll pour another beer and praise the soul god for forgiveness .... praise soul in every genre, down every avenue.... in every key blush.gif

Tenyu... you owe me a beer!

Haven't you had enough already? Surely you can't be that two-faced when sober?

You insult the company by saying they are shallow for mentioning the Katrina disaster, thus getting into an argument in which you are clearly out of your depth, then make out you are hard done-to! graynone.gif(post-1535-1157765859.gif

Social source share