Joni Wilson: Volt

Thanks folks but I think I'm covered for it now and thanks for the link to the flip which is a great slower number. You were close Docfish but it was actually the LeBaron Taylor side of the Detroit deal that brought this about. The gist of the story will be in the sleevenotes.

Cheers

Ady

Social source share

• 4 years later...

I am new to this site and found these comments on the web and would be interested in any more thoughts as it was also reported that LeBaron had taken some masters from Ric Tic with him when he moved and connection to "The Debonaires"

"Detroit disc jockey LeBaron Taylor left Detroit in the late 1960's, joining Philadelphia station WDAS in the position of general manager, whereupon he met Liz Bacone. Ms. Bacone had written ‘Please Don’t Rush Me’ recorded by Kenny Gamble for his Gamble label in 1968 on the Baby Dolls. When Bacone’s husband was shot in a gang war, Taylor came to the family’s aid."

soul Joni

soul Lebaron

A CD of Bacone Records has just been released. Maybe they know

soul Bacone Front

soul Bacone Back

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
Social source share

That Joni Wilson track was CLEARLY recorded in Detroit, and was likely a George Clinton production.  I don't know how or why Lebaron Taylor would have gotten his hands on a Ric Tic master tape.  He WOULD, however, have had access to Revilot and Solid Hit tapes from Solid Hitbound Productions, which was co-owned by himself and Don Davis.  The sound of the instrumental background of Joni Wilson's Volt cut written by George Clinton (ostensibly for Solid Hitbound Productions), is perfect for George Clinton's time with them.  "Flame, Flame, Flame, on the other hand, sounds like it was recorded in Memphis at Stax's usual studio.  Because Don Davis was working with Stax at that time, I assume that he had no problem with Taylor having his own Philadelphia artist use one of their previously-recorded Solid Hitbound tracks, as he, himself, would get money out of it if her record would become a hit.  In fact, Taylor probably only got to place that record deal with Stax because Davis was working with them as a major producer and A&R man at that time.

Edited by Robbk
Social source share

49 minutes ago, Robbk said:

That Joni Wilson track was CLEARLY recorded in Detroit, and was likely a George Clinton production.  I don't know how or why Lebaron Taylor would have gotten his hands on a Ric Tic master tape.  He WOULD, however, have had access to Revilot and Solid Hit tapes from Solid Hitbound Productions, which was co-owned by himself and Don Davis.  The sound of the instrumental background of Joni Wilson's Volt cut written by George Clinton (ostensibly for Solid Hitbound Productions.  The sound is perfect for George Clinton's time with them.  "Flame, Flame, Flame, on the other hand, sounds like it was recorded in Memphis at Stax's usual studio.  Because Don Davis was working with Stax at that time, I assume that he had no problem with Taylor having his own Philadelphia artist use one of their previously-recorded Solid Hitbound track, as he, himself, would get money out of it it her record would become a hit.  In fact, Taylor probably only got to place that record deal with Stax because Davis was working with them as a major producer and A&R man.

Thanks Robb can you expand on Enigmatic Productions please if you know as they appear on this release too 

soul Limitations

Social source share

As we've only seen the name, "Enigmatic Productions" on production of two old songs that were previously Co-owned by LeBaron Taylor and Don Davis, I assume that Enigmatic Productions stands for co-productions by Don Davis and LeBaron Taylor made AFTER Davis moved to Stax, and the latter had made his working arrangement deal with Al Bell, and are situations in which Davis is producing a recording which is using a background track still co-owned by both Taylor and Davis, according to their own deal made when Solid Hitbound Productions broke up in 1968 (e.g. Taylor didn't come to Memphis and sit in on the recording sessions of Joni Wilson, but his 1/2 owned old 1966 or 1967 recordings were used in new productions).  Notice that Liz Bacone got production credit for "Flame, Flame, Flame".  And I would guess that the flip of The Limitations' release would have been an "Enigmatic Production", ONLY if an old Solid Hitbound backing track was used on it.

Edited by Robbk
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

10 hours ago, Ady Croasdell said:

That’s very interesting, any chance of sending me an MP3 of the LP track for research purposes? 

Unfortunately, I don't have a copy of the album. The title seemed very familiar ( mostly because of the iconic 60's ad)

and I googled a title search and came up with the picture.  Sorry ........

Social source share

14 hours ago, Ady Croasdell said:

That’s very interesting, any chance of sending me an MP3 of the LP track for research purposes? 

According to a comment on You Tube in relation to the Joni Wilson track, The Parliaments version is better known as All Your Goodies Are Gone. Apologies if you knew that already Ady.

Edited by Autumnstoned
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

25 minutes ago, Autumnstoned said:

According to a comment on You Tube in relation to the Joni Wilson track, The Parliaments version is better known as All Your Goodies Are Gone. Apologies if you knew that already.

It is the flip to the classic '' Don,t be sore at me '' always like the Parliaments version but the Joni Wilson is good also.

George Clinton recorded it again with the funk ensemble who were Parliament nothing like the original though .

Edited by Shinehead
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

3 minutes ago, Shinehead said:

It is the flip to the classic '' Don,t be sure at me '' always like the Parliaments version but the Joni Wilson is good also.

George Clinton recorded it again with the funk ensemble who were Parliament nothing like the original though .

When I listened earlier to the Joni Wilson cut and heard the repeated lyric “All Your Goodies Are Gone”,  I thought to myself that I’d seen that title before but wasn’t sure where. If it’s the flip of Don’t Be Sore At Me it makes it a double sider.

Will check out the later Parliament version.

Social source share

9 minutes ago, Autumnstoned said:

When I listened earlier to the Joni Wilson cut and heard the repeated lyric “All Your Goodies Are Gone”,  I thought to myself that I’d seen that title before but wasn’t sure where. If it’s the flip of Don’t Be Sore At Me it makes it a double sider.

Will check out the later Parliament version.

“All Your Goodies Are Gone” was the only side of that 45 they played on the radio where I was (Chicago, L.A. San Francisco Bay Area).  I got a nice bonus, and was very happy to find out that the flip was right up my alley, and MUCH, MUCH MUCH more to my taste than the "A" side.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Such a great record. I found a copy in Philly in the late 90s. This topic is also making me realize that as a young kid I went to school with another kid whose dad owned WDAS at the time (late 70s/early 80s). I was around age 10 at the time though and totally oblivious to all the music history surrounding me in the city.

Social source share

On 28/10/2019 at 19:41, Johndelve said:

It sounds to me as if Joni Wilson is simply singing over the Parliaments "All Your Goodies are gone" original. Both backing track and backing vocals seem more or less identical on each record to my ears.

I agree Johndelve (of QPR notoriety?) - I have the Track compilation  and 'Let Hurt .... Place' is Parliament's 'All Your Goodies are gone'.  The mix on the LP version is slightly different with the lead singer's vocal higher in the mix. This, of course could just be a stereo/mono trick. My old ears can't tell.

Edited by Firecrest
Grammar
Social source share

• 3 years later...

It's been bugging me for years who Joni Wilson was and why did she not record anything else. 

I am beginning to wonder whether Joni Wilson is in fact Naomi Wilson.

I noticed that the last track on the "The Black Man Sings: Best of Bacone Recordings" CD is credited to Naomi Blount, and is clearly a demo version of the B side of the Joni Wilson 45 "Flame Flame Flame".

Naomi Wilson's married name was Blount, and she was born and raised in Philly. Listening to "More Than I Do" by Naomi (Wilson) & Harris (Hughes) I could start to convince myself the voice is similar. Naomi's other recorded material is too fast to draw comparisons, and were also recorded a few years prior when she was very young. Maybe they used the name Joni Wilson as she was still contracted to Atco?

Naomi did have a sister, but it couldn't have been her as Naomi has stated that her sister was 4 years older and she died of lung cancer at age 19.

Naomi was descending into drink and drug addiction by the 70s I think from interviews she has given recently, which could explain why she never recorded again. And then in 1982 she was wrongly convicted of murder and spent 37 years incarcerated.   

Thoughts?

• Up vote 1
Social source share

6 hours ago, Eddie Hubbard said:

Not sure if this has been mentioned,but the title of the Joni Wilson track is a very clever take on a Hertz car advert titled “Let Hertz Put You In The Drivers Seat “ .Genius from George Clinton and co …

Indirectly mentioned. I did know that only after Red Kelly told me about 15 years ago now. He then emailed me earlier last year to say that this 45 is only one of 8 Stax and Volt 45s that are not on the Stax Museum wall, It's a rare one. Only a few weeks after that email Red Kelly was dead. A tragic loss to the soul music community.

4 hours ago, Hometownmusic said:

just wanted to say that, although the name would have to be a big coincidence, I don't think this is the same person as the Debonaires' Joni Wilson, who was a (male) drummer from Pittsburgh (name pronounced 'Johnny') & not known for singing.

this Volt record is so good! 

No, I went down that rabbit hole a few years ago.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!