TMAS (Tamla Motown Appreciation Society)

I'm in the midst of compiling an account of TMAS and the Motown acts that came to the UK during its era (1963-66). I have a question about the free `Greetings from Hitsville` disc that was sent to the UK in late Sept '64. Motown's log shows that 300 were pressed "to help raise funds for the fan club". Here's the Q - did members have to buy them? If so how much. If not how did Dave Godin select those to receive them as TMAS membership was in excess of 300 at that time. Lastly, there were mint copies around into the 80s, where from?

Thanks

Social source share

• Replies 8
  • Views 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

I got mine from a car boot in Preston about 87 along with the badge for 50p 

Stand out track for me was The Miracles - Gotta Dance To Keep From Crying,  quite quirky with tracks and the artists introducing themselves in between 

Both now long gone,  however I would probably of got a lot of funny looks nowadays wearing the badge as it clearly states at the top " Swinger and Friend " !!!!!!

Last one I saw in a sales box was about £40.00 

Edited by 123-motown
Social source share

There was certainly more than 300 pressed. Dave gave me my copy some 25+ years ago. He always had piles of them around the house, in light blue sleeves, just as they were the day they were pressed. When he died I saw at least 30 copies in his collection, before they went. Infact I know where 30 mint and unplayed copies are right now.

Sean

Social source share

Guest MBarrett

Some people on here will know far more about this than me, but I thought that the "Greetings from Hitsville" record was going to be sent out with one of the copies of "Hitsville USA" the TMAS magazine. If it ever did happen - timing wise that would probably have been issue No. 2. I've got facsimile copies of 1 and 3 and several of the later ones here but I haven't got No. 2. If someone here has got it and there is no mention then it probably never happened.

I've got a copy of a letter here to TMAS members about the winding up of the Society. It is undated but I guess must come from early 1966(?). It talks about 2 ongoing organisations namely The Friends of American Rhythm & Blues Society and the Tamla-Motown Fan Club. It might be of interest so as soon as I get the chance to scan it I'll post it up.

Mark

PS Just looking in edition 1 of "Hitsville USA" magazine it says "TMAS now over 530 members strong and growing." So hard to see how 300 copies of the record could have been sent out with the magazine. Perhaps that was the original plan and it was shelved. :huh:

Edited by MBarrett
Social source share

Hi Mark

Commencing in December '63 there were six editions of `The Mary Wells and Tamla Motown Newsletter` issued. Then In January '65 The Mary Wells bit was dropped and simplified to the Tamla Motown Appreciation Society and Hitsville Vol 1, No 1 came out, with one each month until issue 12 in Feb '66. In October '65 there was a one-off memorial edition for member Mick Page. Issue 2 that you asked about is called `Clive's Report`, an account of Clive Stone's trip to Motown in December '64. I'd be happy to send you a colour scan of issue 2 in exchange for a scan of the letter you have?

Re the 45, I still don't understand how some folk who were members of TMAS were never offered it in the autumn of '64 and then as seems likely when more were sent over, they were still unaware of them but by all accounts DG had shed loads of them? It is hard to tell how accurate DG's membership figures were.

Hitsville 12.jpg

Hitsville Mick.jpg

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!