Winnie :-)

The Ashes almost upon us

So the greatest contest in world cricket gets underway in a few days. Are the viewing public in for any surprises, what's the best England can hope for, can they realistically look at regaining 'Little Urn'? 

Ryan Harris now retired from all forms of cricket, he's terrorised England in the past, so don't see that as a bad thing. Would the Aussies really consider playing Starc and Johnson in the same bowling attack. 

Come on punters give me some clues.

Predictions for the match score at the end of the series?

3-1 sounds about right.....unfortunately to the Aussies. 

Think the games will be tight and i dont see England being steamrollered but their pace bowling is better and their lower order has the knack of squeezing out vital runs.

A lot has to go right  for England to win, while the Aussies will probably have to under perform.

At times like this I thank whoever is responsible for moving the satellite that is responsible for my not being able to get any British TV programs here in the south of Spain.  I've almost forgotten what cricket is:D

Really want to say we can win the series but I just think we might come up short & the series will be drawn?

Think there will be plenty of results as both side score quickly,hope the weather doesn't play too much of a part unless it helps us :D

Think it only takes a couple of there bowlers not to fire like Johnson did that tour & a couple of our younger player have brilliant series then all of a sudden we could find ourselves sneaking it.

Can't wait,I'll be glued to the tele Wednesday for the morning session..............Australia 62 for 8 at lunch :thumbup:

Cheers

Martyn

Good last session today & they could nearly be out the game?

The Aussies don't look fit to me?Certainly there heads aren't right.Saying that we'll set them 600 & they'll get em :D

Cheers

Martyn

Not a good last session?Suppose I'm typical England supporter I think we're a few short,another 89 & only us can win but 412 in two days is get-able?The problem is they don't have to chase the score they only have to bat 2 & a bit an over,hopefully the pitch will play it's part & Moeen bowls well.

Cheers

Martyn

Not a good last session?Suppose I'm typical England supporter I think we're a few short,another 89 & only us can win but 412 in two days is get-able?The problem is they don't have to chase the score they only have to bat 2 & a bit an over,hopefully the pitch will play it's part & Moeen bowls well.

Cheers

Martyn

It's definitely get-able and I'm a bit nervous now. There's so much time left and both teams will need to be patient. 

I agree the last session was not good by England, although 412 is a pretty tough call in the last innings. WHY did England start to try and knock every ball out of the ground in that session, what was the big rush ?. Maybe they were worried about the weather in the next two days. The Aussies just need to occupy the crease for two days, weather permitting, and they will get those, no mad rush required.

Edited by Kegsy

412 is a formidable target and one that should be easily enough. We will have to bowl poorly not to win from here. Could have made it even harder had we not gifted wickets with some careless play in the last session, but the attitude and their cricket has generally been so good I can forgive them the odd rush of blood.

The problem today will be the field setting especially if the Aussies get to a ton without loss. The Aussie don't have to score quickly so how aggressive can England be in setting the field ?. Four or Five slips leaves a lot of gaps for ones and twos.

joes a yorkshireman tha noes , thev no chance of a pint .

Obviously I meant a half of mild..............now he's got a wicket he might splash out for that:D

Cheers

Martyn

Edited by hullsoul

Don't know what people was worried about,never in doubt :thumbup:

Can't write the Aussies off after one game but think there's a few of there guys under pressure.Think they'll bring Siddle in who I rate?

Cheers

Martyn

Very encouraging start.  Out played the Aussies in every department, Cook made the right decisions throughout.  Let's hope they can keep up the momentum.  Australia will be looking at a few changes before Lords next Thursday.

Classy display from the boys , dominated for all four days , roll on Lord's next week ... :thumbup:

Now where are those gobby Aussies I was chatting with so amicably at 10 'o' clock this morning , time to set a few things straight methinks ... :wicked:

I always worry because you never can tell what will happen. I can't believe it was so straight forward. I'm sure they'll be twists and turns in the tests ahead.

joes a yorkshireman tha noes , thev no chance of a pint .

Obviously I meant a half of mild..............now he's got a wicket he might splash out for that:D

Cheers

Martyn

We were watching it in the pub, before Root got his first wicket, I was shouting at the telly something like "What the f*ck is Cook doing bowling Root and Ali at the same time clueless pillock". Needless to say I took some right stick from lads over the next hour or so. Kegsy is to Cricket what Marian Ryan is to soul music.

Having watched every ball bowled Friday & Saturday live & now watched the highlights (twice:wicked:)

I think Mark Wood is going to have massive say in this series,he looks like a massive part of the jigsaw we've been missing for so long,he looks like he's been playing test cricket years instead of weeks.

The Aussie seem OK bowling 90 m.p.h but don't look too keen having it bowled at them?So if we do get a firmer pitches along the way I think he'll have them jumping about as much as Johnson & Starc will do to our lads.

Anderson & Broad haven't balled like that in tandem for ages,they were outstanding.

Hope Cookie doesn't get caught up in this gun-ho attitude & just sticks there gets his hundreds at an easy pace while the fireworks are going off at the other end.

The Aussies have a lot of experience & when they are down they are dangerous but they just look to have a lot of things to put right in 4 days?If they lose the next test or even draw it having been out played for big parts of the game I think they could disintegrate quickly?

So I hope we go for the jugular from ball one :thumbup:

Cheers

Martyn

Great performance by England.  As long as we prepare the wickets like this one to suit us then we have a chance.  I've been one of Cooke's biggest critics regarding his captaincy but no complaints this time, everything worked for him.

If the Aussies change tjhings a little, drop Haddin, maybe get a wicket that suits there bowl;era then it could be a different outcome but for now will revel in this thrashing of the Aussies.

Fantastic game at Cardiff, great wicket that produced a great game and ultimately the right result. Then we get this crick o shite. Do they not realise spectators are fed up with wickets like this?

Tough day. Really nothing in the pitch for the bowlers. Dropping a catch didnt help but this was a good toss to win and in fairness the Aussies batted very capably.

Better day today & shows there is a little bit in the wicket if you bowl in the right areas.

Hopefully our top order turns up,Cookie nice & steady 350 ball 200 will do nicely please.

Cheers

Martyn

Bat all day,get to the follow on,rain forecast for tomorrow.

Cheers

Martyn

The pressure will tell in the end mate, despite the recent renaissance I doubt we have changed in that department.  

Dropped a big boo boo with a wicket to attempt to nullify their quicks, all it did was reduce ours to pedestrian bowling attack. 

The pressure will tell in the end mate, despite the recent renaissance I doubt we have changed in that department.  

Dropped a big boo boo with a wicket to attempt to nullify their quicks, all it did was reduce ours to pedestrian bowling attack. 

Chalky

You're probably right  but while Cookie's there I have hope?? The thing that has impressed me is Stokes has a great leave,should show our top 3 how to do it?

Heard a comment this morning on Sky that they should do away with the toss & give the away captain the choice each time,that would make countries produce good cricket wickets that are a contest between bat & ball.

Cheers

Martyn 

With wickets like this they are undoing all the good work by the team pre ashes. Shame as I thought Strauss was moving us on to an attacking team with flair?

Lyth looks out of his depth to me, attacking before he get's in. Ballance's technique is being tried and tested and coming up a failure, to far into his crease, needs to come forward a foot so he can play the ball on it's merits. God knows what's happened to Bell, he looks like he's had enough to me, best technique in the team, but so haphazard at the beginning of the innings. 

We have bowlers who can bowl at 90 mph, at least one of them needs to be in the team. Broad's pace second innings probably averaged just under 80, just not good enough for a strike bowler. Only plus side so far, Rogers and Smith both dropped early in their innings, by that I mean, if they had of been caught, there would have been parity in the first innings scores, so Australia aren't as good as they're being made out. 

Could be another test match over in 4 days if we don't dig in?

Don't follow county cricket as such (just Yorkshire's scores of course),is there any top order/openers in the frame if further down the line we keep failing & need new personnel??

The Aussies were in disarray last week no reason we can't re-group for the next test on a better wicket?

Lyth has been great for Yorkshire both with bat and in the field.  I do believe England made a massive mistake bringing Trott back when someone like Lyth should have had a gentler introduction to test cricket against other teams rather than in Ashes series against The Aussies.  He is certainly lacking confidence...is he out of his depth, who knows, I believe he is goodenough but again he was let down by the management.

Bell, his palce has to be in doubt or arw we going back to the old days of reputation picking the side?  Balance as well should be worried.

but too many basic mistakes have cost wickets.  Not grounding your bat, a village cricketer would have done better.

A fair bit is in the head with pressure again a telling factor and our batsmen still dont seem able to handle the pressure.

as Win said a quick should be in the team, the bowling has been pedestrian at best at times, I know the wicket hasn't helped, again stupid management but the Aussies have put the effort in with the ball and got rewards.

That was shamefully bad. To be blown away like that was utterly spineless. Top players have to handle pressure - and they were under it from ball one in this test. To lose to a good Australian side is one thing, but to get beat like that is unacceptable.

Several players need a kick up the backside and a few should be under serious consideration for the next game.

I couldn't believe the reaction to the the Cardiff result. Yes, there were some decent performances, but the Aussies were poor, and still made a game of it. England just don't look any good with the bat. They always seem to lose early wickets, which has a big effect on confidence on both sides. 

Comment now!

Comments are members only

Join Soul Source - Free & easy!

Sign in

Sign in here.

Sign in now!

Related Soul Music Links

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.