Records And Hand Luggage Plus Buying Tunes In La

• Replies 45
  • Views 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest vinylvixen

Going out to LA in 3 weeks,whats the score with records and hand luggage,i was gonna take about 200 with me to dj,can i keep them with me or do they go in the hold?????also need some info on places to pick up tunes in and around LA,Southern California..

cheers

steve

Steve, ring your carrier. Each airline is being UBER strict with hand luggage and I think the dimensions allowed on board must resemble something like a large attache case. I know laptops are allowed but double check. Would you want to risk putting your vinyl in the hold
:P
Have an amazing time and report back with your adventures
:yes:
Jo x

Social source share

Thanks for the info Jo...Its hard to think of losing all my stardust collection if i let them go downstairs :P:P ..It sounds like a 50 box will be ok,i am going with my girlfreind,we could carry one each then...Not many folk would be happy to let tunes go through the hold..Good to here from you Jo,hope you are well and getting what you want :yes: ...Any places to buy records out there????please help...

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Thanks for the info Jo...Its hard to think of losing all my stardust collection if i let them go downstairs :yes::yes: ..It sounds like a 50 box will be ok,i am going with my girlfreind,we could carry one each then...Not many folk would be happy to let tunes go through the hold..Good to here from you Jo,hope you are well and getting what you want :wicked: ...Any places to buy records out there????please help...

Steve -

As Jo says, you really do need to check with your airline, and you probably need to explain to them, in words of one syllable or less, exactly what you're hoping to be carrying on board, almost down to giving them the titles of the records if necessary. None of my globetroting DJ mates has been allowed to carry on any form of vinyl, anywhere in the world, since the most recent round of terror alerts arrived - and they've mostly been going to countries that aren't run by George W. Bush.

With the 9/11 anniversary coming up, US airlines are going to be even more - well, 'paranoid' is the only word that comes to mind - about what can and can't be carried on as hand luggage, that they have already been in recent times. You would be advised to take every upfront precaution, that you possibly can, to find out excatly what the lie of the land is going to be on the day you travel out - AND on the day you travel back, for that matter...

TONE :thumbsup:

Social source share

Steve -

As Jo says, you really do need to check with your airline, and you probably need to explain to them, in words of one syllable or less, exactly what you're hoping to be carrying on board, almost down to giving them the titles of the records if necessary. None of my globetroting DJ mates has been allowed to carry on any form of vinyl, anywhere in the world, since the most recent round of terror alerts arrived - and they've mostly been going to countries that aren't run by George W. Bush.

With the 9/11 anniversary coming up, US airlines are going to be even more - well, 'paranoid' is the only word that comes to mind - about what can and can't be carried on as hand luggage, that they have already been in recent times. You would be advised to take every upfront precaution, that you possibly can, to find out excatly what the lie of the land is going to be on the day you travel out - AND on the day you travel back, for that matter...

TONE :thumbsup:

Some airlines are now relaxing the controls. Some folks HAVE travelled throughout Europe with vinyl as handbaggage over the last few weeks.

Hitsville is next weekend and the guys attending with vinyl are coming from both inside the States and outside. We'll know more about the TransAtlantic rules once this weekend has happened. I'll post the results up ina couple of weeks Steve to give you heads up.

Rgards,

Dave

www.theresthatbeat.com

www.hitsvillesoulclub.com

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Going out to LA in 3 weeks,whats the score with records and hand luggage,i was gonna take about 200 with me to dj,can i keep them with me or do they go in the hold?????also need some info on places to pick up tunes in and around LA,Southern California..

cheers

steve

I carried 200 45s on Thompson airlines from Canada. They were wrapped in bubble wrap in 100s and carried in a small holdall. Exactly 3kilos so no problem as hand luggage. There's no way i would have put them in the hold :thumbsup:

I think everyone's right though, check with your airline.

Social source share

Thanks for the info Jo...Its hard to think of losing all my stardust collection if i let them go downstairs :thumbsup::wicked: ..It sounds like a 50 box will be ok,i am going with my girlfreind,we could carry one each then...Not many folk would be happy to let tunes go through the hold..Good to here from you Jo,hope you are well and getting what you want :yes: ...Any places to buy records out there????please help...

Theres four of us taking a box each to Belfast. We are going to take plastic bags too in case the boxes are too big, but we agreed we would go in the hold ourselves and give the records the seats if we have to!!

Who needs hand luggage anyway? :yes:

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

i checked recently for the trip to lavarone amongst others and was told that it must fit a loptop case size check ..a 50 box fits within that but a 100 doesn't ...

personally for lavarone i'm going on my own so i am buying a swanflight 200 box and putting them in the hold

Social source share

i checked recently for the trip to lavarone amongst others and was told that it must fit a loptop case size check ..a 50 box fits within that but a 100 doesn't ...

These are the terms of carriage used by Bmibaby at the moment

on-board baggage allowance

Passengers may carry onboard one (1) piece of hand luggage weighing up to 7kg and not exceeding dimensions of 55cm x 40cm x 20cm.Passengers are also able to take on-board with them a laptop computer encased within a computer case.

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

Passengers may carry onboard one (1) piece of hand luggage weighing up to 7kg and not exceeding dimensions of 55cm x 40cm x 20cm.Passengers are also able to take on-board with them a laptop computer encased within a computer case.

those dimensions would take my 100 box , but these weren't the dimensions given to me by flybe which contradicted their own website

Edited by dundeedavie
Social source share

On my ticket for Flybe I was given these dimiensions - Maximum dimensions 50cm x 35 cm x 23cm and total weight of 10kg.

But the birmingham airport dimensions were -

A maximum length of 45 cm, width of 35 cm and depth of 16 cm (17.7""Â13.7""Â6. 2" approx) (including wheels, handles, side pockets etc.). A handbag will be classed as one item. There are no exceptions.

Bit of right hand not knowing what the left hands doing.... :thumbsup:

Edited by Rugby Soul Club
Social source share

I've been invited out to Milan to DJ on October 21st, now at first i said i was unable to attend due to the current restrictions, having checked the RyanAir website the details are pretty much to what Dave Rimmer has listed, if the weight is slightly more then you have to pay a supplement of about £5.00 which is a pretty small price to pay, as it's been said all airlines will be different so best to check directly with them, no way was i gonna put my babies in the hold, i think if i'm refused to take them in the cabin then i will be walking to Italy....lol

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

I've been invited out to Milan to DJ on October 21st, now at first i said i was unable to attend due to the current restrictions, having checked the RyanAir website the details are pretty much to what Dave Rimmer has listed, if the weight is slightly more then you have to pay a supplement of about £5.00 which is a pretty small price to pay, as it's been said all airlines will be different so best to check directly with them, no way was i gonna put my babies in the hold, i think if i'm refused to take them in the cabin then i will be walking to Italy....lol

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

they are national restrictions mark and not for indiviual airlines ......for example my flight info said bigger than the updaed website ....i also looked at the bmibaby site that dave quoted and they have also changed to new uk wide universal rules

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

if it's any comfort for you mark , it only applys to outbound uk flights and not inbound

Bloody nuisance when you realise that a normal little box is 19cm..... :tumbleweed3:

i'm in the same position for belfast , what you need is a carpenter lol , make the equivelent of 2 50 boxes side by side

Social source share

if it's any comfort for you mark , it only applys to outbound uk flights and not inbound

i'm in the same position for belfast , what you need is a carpenter lol , make the equivelent of 2 50 boxes side by side

Davie, i pulled out of Belfast because of this restriction hated letting them down but the Italy thing was booked way before this crap, amazes me that everyone suffers i mean decent people for the actions of madmen, looks like we are gonna either put them in the hold or get a smaller box made either way it's a pain in the arse mate.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

Davie, i pulled out of Belfast because of this restriction hated letting them down but the Italy thing was booked way before this crap, amazes me that everyone suffers i mean decent people for the actions of madmen, looks like we are gonna either put them in the hold or get a smaller box made either way it's a pain in the arse mate.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

i'm currently putting my engineering brain to work and thinking of a way round it, i wonder if they would baulk at 2 50 boxes duct taped together.

for the italian thing though , i'm afraid mine is a weekender and therefore at least a 200 box will be needed and will have to go in the hold...

ps i imagine it was different belfast do's we are talking about

Edited by dundeedavie
Social source share

Davie -

Having just had 3 cases that I checked in the hold "mislaid"**

on my recent flight back from holiday there's no way i'd risk putting any records in there!

**got two back since but one is still AWOL! :tumbleweed3:

Edited by Rowly
Social source share

cheers

steve

Last year i took a box of 45s to Oslo,dimensions were,

15" long

8" wide

9" high

holds around 120/5 45s,i took this on as hand luggage with no problems,then again i never asked if was okay i just took them on :tumbleweed3:

Dave f..................

Social source share

Guest Kevin J

regarding record huntin in LA ... i say hook up with the likes of Tommy Potts, sure he could show you around. there are a few records shops, but i wouldnt bother with most. best bet in the los angeles area is going to be pawn shops, coin shops, second hand stores, etc.

Edited by Kevin J
Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

Last year i took a box of 45s to Oslo,dimensions were,

15" long

8" wide

9" high

holds around 120/5 45s,i took this on as hand luggage with no problems,then again i never asked if was okay i just took them on :tumbleweed3:

Dave f..................

last year is no longer relevant ....been on planes with a 120 box many times , but not anymore

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

regarding record huntin in LA ... i say hook up with the likes of Tommy Potts, sure he could show you around. there are a few records shops, but i wouldnt bother with most. best bet in the los angeles area is going to be pawn shops, coin shops, second hand stores, etc.

Hi Kev

Thanks for the info,will try out the second hand stores etc and see if i can get to meet Tommy,can anyone tell me what a coin shop is????....

Social source share

I flew out here on September 8th with BA, and there was absolutely no chance of taking any of my records onto the plane as hand luggage.

I ended up couriering them over, signed delivery in three padded boxes. They arrived safely the next day. No way were they going in the hold.

And they're also extremely strict at immigration at the moment. If you intend to play, you're not native US, and don't have a visa, and they catch you....they will send you straight back on the next plane. LA is probably the strictest US airport I've come across.

Edited by Belson
Social source share

I emailed the airline were using next week and this is what i got back,

"One piece of hand luggage in a transparent plastic bag max size 45cmx35cmx16cm"

I then emailed them again to ask about records and they said this,

"Yes but all you bring must be in a see through plastic bag as you board the plane"

Dave f.............

Social source share

Guest lifeandsoul

And they're also extremely strict at immigration at the moment. If you intend to play, you're not native US, and don't have a visa, and they catch you....they will send you straight back on the next plane. LA is probably the strictest US airport I've come across.

This is a key point also I would suggest, not only UK to US but vice versa too. I have known people turned away and sent back by UK customs. Europe's OK though of course.

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

I saw on the news and in the papers a couple of days ago that they may be relaxing these restrictions in the next week or so??? i can see this Italy / Milan trip being a nightmare.....let's just hope it all works out soon, strange the actions of madmen and everyone suffers..total bollocks.

Mark Bicknell.

well i've got it sussed for 100 records even with the regulations as they stand

Social source share

well i've got it sussed for 100 records even with the regulations as they stand

How have you managed to work that out then Davie ?

Bmibaby are still saying this on their website tonight

Important Travel Information

In most instances passengers are permitted to carry ONE item of cabin baggage through the airport security search point. The dimensions of this item must not exceed: a maximum length of 45 cm, width of 35 cm and depth of 16 cm (17.7""Â13.7""Â6.2" approx) (including wheels, handles, side pockets etc). Other bags, such as handbags, may be carried within the single item of cabin baggage. All items carried by passengers will be x-ray screened.

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

How have you managed to work that out then Davie ?

Bmibaby are still saying this on their website tonight

Important Travel Information

In most instances passengers are permitted to carry ONE item of cabin baggage through the airport security search point. The dimensions of this item must not exceed: a maximum length of 45 cm, width of 35 cm and depth of 16 cm (17.7""Â13.7""Â6.2" approx) (including wheels, handles, side pockets etc). Other bags, such as handbags, may be carried within the single item of cabin baggage. All items carried by passengers will be x-ray screened.

i bought an expanding briefcase that takes two lots of 50 records ......i'll take a photo tomorrow if i remember and post it up

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

The 200 cases i sell

used to be ok as hand luggage

But who knows nowadays?

from what i think it would be perfect if someone would make a 100 box that is 2 lanes of 50 , that would fit as i've checked the measurements

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

i have had an email from flybe saying the baggage restrictions have now been lifted ....meaning for example that a prostyle 200 box is allowed

Davie

Social source share

cheers

steve

Steve,

The guys who came to Hitsville carried records through in 50 boxes, in a 150 box, in a hold all, and in a carrier bag. Everyone reported they were questioined but then allowed to carry them through. Hope this helps.

However, If you're on at the Bullet you'll be fine as it's all iTunes off a laptop. No records required! ranting_1.gif

Regards,

Dave

www.theresthatbeat.com

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

I suggest asking airlines if you can take records on board however if it was me and was told no i doubt i would want to go. Why would someone be daft to risk not taking on flight records which are sent without you when you might not get them all back

don't these people understand it's collectable records here that could go missing not your every day items you take on board with you

Social source share

This is all a mountain out of a molehill. I'll be travelling to LA with my records, just like everyone did who came to The Hitsville Weekender. I think the "drama" has passed now guys. Common sense is finally beginning to filter through again.

Regards,

Dave

www.theresthatbeat.com

Steve'll be OK.....looks like I'm playing Bullet that night too, so there'll be at least two boxes of 45's there that night. :)

Hey Belson,

You coming to the Central Soul Club gig? Say Hi if you're there.

Regards,

Dave

www,hitsvillesoulclub.com

www.theresthatbeat.com

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

I suggest asking airlines if you can take records on board however if it was me and was told no i doubt i would want to go. Why would someone be daft to risk not taking on flight records which are sent without you when you might not get them all back

don't these people understand it's collectable records here that could go missing not your every day items you take on board with you

THE RESTRICTIONS HAVE BEEN LIFTED ....... thought i'd put that in capitals as you obviously didn't read it the first time

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!