HARRY CROSBY

Your earliest memory in life

Was sat thinking last night,and realised my earliest memory in life, was losing my mam whilst out shopping in York, with my her and my aunty. Can still see it as plain as day, screaming my head off with fright. Then finding my mam and aunty watching me and laughing behind a nearby coat rack. Ive got a few memories from before I started school. Whats your earliest life memory??

Was sat thinking last night,and realised my earliest memory in life, was losing my mam whilst out shopping in York, with my her and my aunty. Can still see it as plain as day, screaming my head off with fright. Then finding my mam and aunty watching me and laughing behind a nearby coat rack. Ive got a few memories from before I started school. Whats your earliest life memory??

Would this explain your morbid fear of coat racks?

As a toddler, I used to get dropped off at a neighbour's when my mam went to work, and would hate it.  One day I hid in the coal bunker and fell asleep.  Major search all over the neighbourhood, local park, everywhere.  You can imagine everybody's relief when I eventually woke up and emerged from the bunker covered in coal dust.

Good question - but obviously a bit difficult to precisely date stuff that far back. The earliest memory I THINK I can date is being in a car bringing my

younger sister back from the maternity hospital.

That would be when I was 2 years and 11 months.

But could be just my vivid imagination!! :D  

Another one. My mam had a job, on a local building site, cleaning out the new homes, before they went up for sale. It was before I started school, so she used to take me with her, as you can imagine I was bored to death and driving my mam crazy. A joiner made me a little fishing rod out of an offcut and string for line and a bent nail for a hook. Can still remember this, and sitting on the kerb at the side of the new road, fishing in one of the road gullies. Wonder why I still love fishing eh:thumbsup:

Good question - but obviously a bit difficult to precisely date stuff that far back. The earliest memory I THINK I can date is being in a car bringing my

Ha ha nice one:thumbsup:

Can still remember this, and sitting on the kerb at the side of the new road, fishing in one of the road gullies. Wonder why I still love fishing eh:thumbsup:

I can remember sitting on a kerb in a cul-de-sac with my best mate, totally engrossed in whatever we were doing.  We would be about four year old at the time.  The bloke who lived at the end of the road used to deliver fruit and veg.  He reversed his van over my mate's foot and broke his big toe.

My first conscious memory is of waiting to cross a road with mum and dad. One of them was holding my hand, but I don't recall which now. I can only guess that the light of self-consciousness had suddenly flicked on because I asked something along the lines of "why are we here?"

It would be great to think that my first self-conscious moment resulted in one of the greatest philosophical question ever to pop out of my young, potentially-genius mind, but alas not. Instead I got an explanation of why we'd just moved to Scotland from the south of England and so presume it was the unfamiliarity of the locale that prompted my wondering.

I would have been around three years old.

Mine's similar -- I would have been 3 years and 2 months and I'm sitting in the chair in the lounge holding my newborn baby sister who has just come home from hospital and I remember that I'm wearing red fluffy slippers with white pom poms...

I distinctly remember being made to wear a knitted hat that had a pointed "cats ears" type effect. I hated it. No one in the family believed me until we recently found an old photo amongst many at my mothers. There I was sat in a pram wearing that bloody silly hat. I was about 9 months old. :yes:

:hatsoff2:- Kev

I distinctly remember being made to wear a knitted hat that had a pointed "cats ears" type effect. I hated it. No one in the family believed me until we recently found an old photo amongst many at my mothers. There I was sat in a pram wearing that bloody silly hat. I was about 9 months old. :yes:

Nice one Kev. I remember my mam used knit everything. Woollen Balaclava`s, were a nightmare, especially when they were first knitted or in the rain.:thumbsup:

Nice one Kev. I remember my mam used knit everything. Woollen Balaclava`s, were a nightmare, especially when they were first knitted or in the rain.:thumbsup:

Yep, mine was a knitaholic too Harry.

If you reckon balaclava's in the rain were bad you obviously never had to try knitted swimming trunks. :ohmy:

Yep, mine was a knitaholic too Harry.

If you reckon balaclava's in the rain were bad you obviously never had to try knitted swimming trunks. :ohmy:

:lol::lol: Bet they were a bit baggy, getting out of the swimming baths:lol:

I recall falling in a fish pond when I was about three. When my mum asked what had happened I replied "The bloody fish pulled me in".

And as with other posters my mum knitted loads of stuff - cheaper than buying stuff from the shops. I always knew when it was time for a hair cut - mum would start knitting a new hat! 

She was a superb knitter and even in her 70's she was knocking out Andorra garments which were being sold in a high end shop in London.

Peter 

Mine was sitting on the family sofa, an orange and brown 70s weave fabric thingy having a hissy fit as the buckles on my patent baby shoes had snagged and I couldn't move my legs....about 14 months old

nik :-)

As a toddler, I used to get dropped off at a neighbour's when my mam went to work, and would hate it.  One day I hid in the coal bunker and fell asleep.  Major search all over the neighbourhood, local park, everywhere.  You can imagine everybody's relief when I eventually woke up and emerged from the bunker covered in coal dust.

Hard to say exactly which one but theres loads from around when I would have been around three ish that I remember in story telling format ie me going here and this happening and x was there and said (Y was as something often said in response to things I did from much older onwards up until now).

I remember being playing outside with my sister and being pushed over landing in a pile of wet muck and cutting my knee on a bit of broken glass hiding there like some form of booby trap soft mud  hides sharp glass,Very quickly blood appeared on my outer calf from a crescent moon shaped cut.I went indoors crying to my mum who was sitting talking to her neighbour,"Mum Ive got a mouth on my leg", I wailed,she thought I said mouse and grabbed a bit of cane nearby and said," quick show me and I will knock off with this stick!".Luckily she realised what I had really said as I cowered awaiting the blow on my already cut leg and the whacking action stopped in mid air.Happily to say I had stitches put in at the hospital and was giving sweets not a whack on the leg.She my mum that is didnt go to work till all us kids had started juniors  and before we went to infants  school would spend ages playing games and doing little projects with us kids.I can remember doing the done thing which was for kids to hide behind the sofa when doctor who came on the spluttering b and  w telly,no carpets,little furnitue but everywhere and one else in the same boat around us.

As I said on a previous posting lots of great memories from the days when gangs of kids and packs of dogs would roam the streets by day and the aroma of dinners cooking wafting from windows would tell you it was time to make your way back home after the days adventures.Where alsatian dogs were looked on with awe as lion like beasts and pedigree  was the first name of an expensive dog food not the word that came before the type of dog you owned and when it was there in front of that certain brand of dog food your parents would ignore it and your beloved canine would be bought instead tins of finest ".Chappie".. 

Edited by manusf3a

This is difficult  because when trying to think of the very earliest by the very way memory tends to work a whole cluster start to emerge around the one you think of.An oldi for me though maybe not the ealiest is the toy section at Woolworth and being drawn by it like a magnet when out shopping, a place of pleasure it could well be as you could  look in wonder at all the toys within reach and  even  hold  while you  looked  at many of them it could also be a place of pain as now and then on visits you would hear a child cry out out after being given the very politicaly uncorrect but then done in full view of whoever, slap across the face because of  whining and demanding to be bought a toy the parent couldnt afford   or just wasnt on the shopping list.If on going round Woolies you heard a child crying or screaming you knew which part of the shop it came from.Woolies done it on purpose of course putting all the toys out on display the way they did because from this from my memory , wasnt there always lots of fairly cheap stuff out on display that could be used to silence demands from screaming kids,paying them off  that is, here you cant have that big expensive toy you are demanding ,have this instead if the kid hit lucky ,if not well "The Slap".

Good old Woolies,I guess the  type of memories it evokes from the sixties  era  because off the toy section set alone makes it stand out out there as being among folk who were young children thens earliest memories not  least for the dramas that were fought out  over  toys.

Edited by manusf3a

NO I would go with you on that one I have some memories that could only have occured when I was around that age and I certainly remember my brother being born at home when I was around the age you were when you brought your sister home and being led into the bedroom by my auntie and Dad to see him and my Mum,I would say your memory is fact rather than imagination.

Edited by manusf3a

Another early memory, probably only a few months after my being in a coma, I remember waking up to a Christmas present of a carpentry set (maybe in an effort to see if I could be a direct descendant to a fictitious carpenter in a fairy tale), it certainly wouldn't be allowed in these days of health and safety, but there was a small tenon saw, hammer and nails etc.  I can't remember the intricate details as this was 50+ years ago.  I do, however, remember that whilst the women were slaving over the family dinner and my father was doing his usual thing of falling asleep I was left alone with my Christmas gift and no f*cking wood, so, using my initiative I decided that as the dining room table was made of wood maybe it would be OK if I sawed the legs off to see how sharp the saw was, I managed three before the "David's suspiciously quiet" thoughts entered the other family member's collective heads and I was sought out.  Needless to say, Christmas was never the same after that, I was given books, clothes and other innocuous gifts until I finally left home at 17. 

Another early memory, probably only a few months after my being in a coma, I remember waking up to a Christmas present of a carpentry set (maybe in an effort to see if I could be a direct descendant to a fictitious carpenter in a fairy tale), it certainly wouldn't be allowed in these days of health and safety, but there was a small tenon saw, hammer and nails etc.  I can't remember the intricate details as this was 50+ years ago.  I do, however, remember that whilst the women were slaving over the family dinner and my father was doing his usual thing of falling asleep I was left alone with my Christmas gift and no f*cking wood, so, using my initiative I decided that as the dining room table was made of wood maybe it would be OK if I sawed the legs off to see how sharp the saw was, I managed three before the "David's suspiciously quiet" thoughts entered the other family member's collective heads and I was sought out.  Needless to say, Christmas was never the same after that, I was given books, clothes and other innocuous gifts until I finally left home at 17. 

I love reading these type of postings Dave,they are part of ,a very rich part of family and personal history!I can just visualise the sawn off legs and your Dads and familys reaction at the sight that greeted them at the end of their search for you!Like you say those early days carpentry kits would never make it out of the toy warehouse these days as the health and safety would have a real fit ,these days all  the sets I have seen  for a long time actually are made of bloody rubber or plastic and what good is that !Its memories as you describe that you never fail to get a good laugh about when meeting up with family  years after ,they never fail in ur family and I would say many more to have us all laughing over a couple of drinks when we are having a journey down memory lane.Lots of my escapades from my early days were rewarded in the time honoured traditional parenting style of the time with a good old politicaly incorrect slap across the ear,I dread to think what I would of got if I had cut the legs of my Mums table (It was though the sort of thing I would do as a child).The fact of it happening on Christmas day makes it all that more special.

Talking of christmas presents and toys that back then could do some damage one I was bitterly disapointed with was a great big chemistry set I got the year I started juniors,I remember much against parentel advice  which I overcame and because of the strength of that  opposition was convinced even more that  my hopes and wishes would truly be realised when I got the thing,it must be really dangerous if they didnt want me to have it that much.From massive anticipation of what now lay ahead when I opened the thing on christmas day and was confronted with masses of test tubes full of chemicals and a bunsen burner plus parrafin burner  to dejection as I soon realised that day and the following I wasnt going to be making any bombs or exploding things ,not ever and the most I could look forward too was watching some chemicals change colour or evaporate over a little glass burner and note these reactions down in a book,I was gutted.I came to realise afterwards my Mum and Dad knowing what sort of kid I was at that age especially would be bored as hell with a chemistry set.So I was fucked as us kids would get one big present and a selection of smaller toys plus selection boxes of chocs etc.,it sat unused for years till given away.Funny enough when I got older and started seniour school I used to like chemistry.Later on I would like chemistry a bit too much.

Edited by manusf3a

I love reading these type of postings Dave,they are part of ,a very rich part of family and personal history!I can just visualise the sawn off legs and your Dads and familys reaction at the sight that greeted them at the end of their search for you!Like you say those early days carpentry kits would never make it out of the toy warehouse these days as the health and safety would have a real fit ,these days the sets I have seen and for a long time actually are made of bloody rubber or plastic and what good is that !Its memories as you describe that you never fail to get a good laugh about when meeting up with family  years after ,they never fail in ur family and I would say many more to have us all laughing over a couple of drinks when we are having a journey down memory lane.Lots of my escapades from my early days were rewarded in the time honoured traditional parenting style of the time with a good old politicaly incorrect slap across the ear,I dread to think what I would of got if I had cut the legs of my Mums table (It was though the sort of thing I would do as a child).The fact of it happening on Christmas day makes it all that more special.

Talking of christmas presents and toys that back then could do some damage one I was bitterly disapointed with was a great big chemistry set I got they year I started juniors,I remember much against parentel advice  which I overcame and because of the strength of the opposition was convinced even more my hopes and wishes would truly be realised when I got the thing,it must be really dangerous if they didnt want me to have it that much.From massive anticipation of what now lay ahead when I opened the thing on christmas day and was confronted with masses of test tubes full of chemicals and a bunsen burner plus parrafin burner  to dejection as I soon realised that day and the following I wasnt going to be making any bombs or exploding things ,not ever and the most I could look forward too was watching some chemicals change colour or evaporate over a little glass burner and note these reactions down in a book,I was gutted.I came to realise afterwards my Mum and Dad knowing what sort of kid I was at that age especially would be bored as hell with a chemistry set not to mention the thing being aimed at kids a lot older than I was then.So I was fucked as us kids would get one big present and a selection of smaller toys plus selection boxes of chocs etc.,it sat unused for years till given away.Funny enough when I got older and started seniour school I used to like chemistry.Later on I would like chemistry a bit too much.

Edited by manusf3a

I love reading these type of postings Dave,they are part of ,a very rich part of family and personal history!I can just visualise the sawn off legs and your Dads and familys reaction at the sight that greeted them at the end of their search for you!Like you say those early days carpentry kits would never make it out of the toy warehouse these days as the health and safety would have a real fit ,these days all  the sets I have seen  for a long time actually are made of bloody rubber or plastic and what good is that !Its memories as you describe that you never fail to get a good laugh about when meeting up with family  years after ,they never fail in ur family and I would say many more to have us all laughing over a couple of drinks when we are having a journey down memory lane.Lots of my escapades from my early days were rewarded in the time honoured traditional parenting style of the time with a good old politicaly incorrect slap across the ear,I dread to think what I would of got if I had cut the legs of my Mums table (It was though the sort of thing I would do as a child).The fact of it happening on Christmas day makes it all that more special.

Talking of christmas presents and toys that back then could do some damage one I was bitterly disapointed with was a great big chemistry set I got the year I started juniors,I remember much against parentel advice  which I overcame and because of the strength of that  opposition was convinced even more that  my hopes and wishes would truly be realised when I got the thing,it must be really dangerous if they didnt want me to have it that much.From massive anticipation of what now lay ahead when I opened the thing on christmas day and was confronted with masses of test tubes full of chemicals and a bunsen burner plus parrafin burner  to dejection as I soon realised that day and the following I wasnt going to be making any bombs or exploding things ,not ever and the most I could look forward too was watching some chemicals change colour or evaporate over a little glass burner and note these reactions down in a book,I was gutted.I came to realise afterwards my Mum and Dad knowing what sort of kid I was at that age especially would be bored as hell with a chemistry set.So I was fucked as us kids would get one big present and a selection of smaller toys plus selection boxes of chocs etc.,it sat unused for years till given away.Funny enough when I got older and started seniour school I used to like chemistry.Later on I would like chemistry a bit too much.

I used to get the belt from my father, frequently, I always seemed to be in trouble for something, I guess I had an enquiring mind, as in I wonder what would happen if all of next doors chipmunks were let out their cages?, or what would happen if I poured the contents of various bottles down the toilet?

I guess I was to blame for a lot of ruined Christmas traditions in the family home, after the carpentry set we all sat with lunch on our knees, out of necessity the first year, obviously, but after that it became the norm.  No Christmas tree and decorations either, it was almost like living in the Scrooge house.  I would have liked a chemistry set, though I don't know what I might have cooked up, I wouldn't have been content with just the experiments laid out in the instruction books.  I took Chemistry at school until the end of the third year, until I had to choose my O level subjects, but as it bored the pants of me then I gave it up.

Comment now!

Comments are members only

Join Soul Source - Free & easy!

Sign in

Sign in here.

Sign in now!

Related Soul Music Links

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.