Lucky Cordell, RIP

I've just heard that Lucky Cordell, legendary DJ at WVON in Chicago has died.  There was a fire in his home last week and he had been in intensive care. 

Here is an article about the fire.  Not seen a more up-to-date one yet.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-2-hospitalized-after-south-side-fire-20150628-story.html

I was lucky to have met him a few times.  He sold records to many UK dealers over the years (John Anderson and I swapped some stories about him several years ago.)

Edited by solidhit
typo
Social source share

Well 18 hours after the start of this thread I see the great unwashed of Soul Source have really shown the extent of their knowledge, with the passing of a true pioneering legendary DJ like Lucky Cordell goes virtually unoticed !!!

I've lost count of how many times of I've seen and read the accolade of 'Legendary DJ' being awarded to some trumped up ebay over bidding tinpot Northern Legend in his own lunch box hot boxer, who are nothing when held up against the likes of Lucky Cordell. If this scene spent more time reading up on it's true history and not the latest over commercial TV coverage that seems to be rammed down everyone's throat then, they just might find out that it was the likes of Lucky Cordell who first spun The Savadors "Stick By Me Baby", The C. O. D.s She's Fire", Nolan Chance "Just Like The Weather" Gene chandler "Mr BIg Shot" ete, etc, etc

Rest In Peace Lucky you deserve it.

Dave

Edited by Louise
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Well 18 hours after the start of this thread I see the great unwashed of Soul Source have really shown the extent of their knowledge, with the passing of a true pioneering legendary DJ like Lucky Cordell goes virtually unoticed !!!

I've lost count of how many times of I've seen and read the accolade of 'Legendary DJ' being awarded to some trumped up ebay over bidding tinpot Northern Legend in his own lunch box hot boxer, who are nothing when held up against the likes of Lucky Cordell. If this scene spent more time reading up on it's true history and not the latest over commercial TV coverage that seems to be rammed down everyone's throat then, they just might find out that it was the likes of Lucky Cordell who first spun The Savadors "Stick By Me Baby", The C. O. D.s She's Fire", Nolan Chance "Just Like The Weather" Gene chandler "Mr BIg Shot" ete, etc, etc

Dave

I agree David it is sad his passing has seen little reaction. especially as I know there are a fair few on this site that knew him. But anyway for those that didn't know him here is a little more.................................

Lucky Cordell R.I.P, Chicago radio legend

Sadly he lost his life due to a house fire that he and his daughter Pat of Pat & Pam singing fame, were rescued from last week. He had attempted to save his daughter in the fire, but sustained 70% burns in the process and lost his fight for life yesterday (Tuesday).
Lucky was a legendary Chicago radio DJ who eventually went on to manage his beloved WVON station. He grew up along side a generation of great radio DJ's, Frankie Croker, Jimmy Bishop, Al Perkins as well as his friends E.Rodney Jones and Herb 'The Cool Gent' Kent in his home city.

Besides DJing he also turned his hand to record producing, occasionally singing and label owning. The musical talent was passed down to his daughters Pat & Pam who recorded the pretty 'Hey love on Daydream Records. He was also very proud of getting the career of Heaven & Earth off the ground working very much behind the scenes on their first stuynning LP on GEC. 
He became good friends with many record collectors in the U.S. and across Europe.and was always ready to help track down that elusive 45 and the people behind them for many of us. I spent many a happy hour down in his basement full of 45, digging and chatting with him. 
He will be sadly missed by many ...............................

lucky cordell.jpg

Edited by Dave Thorley
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Dave

harsh

surely time be better spent informing rather than trashing

someone could ask why were you waiting 18 hours to post ?

anyway the threads about the passing on of Lucky Cordell

better off using feedback forums for comments on the site members or their posts rather than such news thread

Edited by mike
Social source share

I agree David it is sad his passing has seen little reaction. especially as I know there are a fair few on this site that knew him. But any way that didn't know him here is a little more.................................

Lucky Cordell R.I.P, Chicago radio legend

Sadly he lost his life due to a house fire that he and his daughter Pat of Pat & Pam singing fame, were rescued from last week. He had attempted to save his daughter in the fire, but sustained 70% burns in the process and lost his fight for life yesterday (Tuesday).
Lucky was a legendary Chicago radio DJ who eventually went on to manage his beloved WVON station. He grew up along side a generation of great radio DJ's, Frankie Croker, Jimmy Bishop, Al Perkins as well as his friends E.Rodney Jones and Herb 'The Cool Gent' Kent in his home city.

Besides DJing he also turned his hand to record producing, occasionally singing and label owning. The musical talent was passed down to his daughters Pat & Pam who recorded the pretty 'Hey love on Daydream Records. He was also very proud of get the career of Heaven & Earth of the ground working very much behind the scenes on their first stuynning LP on GEC. 
He became good friends with many record collectors in the U.S. and across Europe.and was always ready to help track down that elusive 45 and the people behind them for many of us. I spent many a happy hour down in his basement full of 45, digging and chatting with him. 
He will be sadley missed by many ...............................

lucky cordell.jpg

thanks for sharing dave

maybe worth adding as a news article 

the 'promote' feature is no longer with us so its all manual nowadays

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!