JOHN MANSHIP AUCTION RESULTS 8-7-2015

10089_1sm.jpg

10089_1sm.jpg10089_2sm.jpg

Willie Tee

First Taste Of Hurt / Funky Funky Twist

Listen and absorb, some of the most effectual lyrics ever committed to a Soul 45. William Turbinton’s masterpiece was hidden away on the flipside of an OK Funky session; but will stand the test of time, as being the perfect example of the lost-art of writing poignant lyrics, that once heard will stay with you for life.

“Lost-Art” indeed, as today, whatever music genre you choose, the poetry of life has for me been been “lost”. It is words of this stirring standard that first drew me into Soul music as a kid..

This Old Heart Of Mine (Been Broke A Thousand Times) Is Weak For You… etc etc.

Enjoy, the simplistic piano intro, joined by controlled horn-caressing blows.. then Willie effortlessly giving up the Soul equivalent of Soul’s “William Blake”

“You Don’t Know What It Is, To Be Lonely”

“Oh No”

“You Don’t Know What It Feels,To Be Left All Alone… Girl”

“But Pretty Soon You’ll Be Grieving, Because I’m Leaving…”

“Baby, Get Ready, Get Ready, For Your First Taste Of Hurt..”

If I’m ever gonna take a verse of a song to the grave.. it will be this one.. because you cannot listen to Willie singing without feeling the extreme cocktail of despair, revenge and regret woven into one understated production.

NOTE: You are looking at the very RARE First press - You are listing to the seldom heard First Mix! and all in totally perfect condition. My biggest quandary this week was whether to auction my personal horrid condition DJing copy or to set free this totally flawless prize… The lyrics persuaded me, the listing needed to offer perfection - for such a perfect creation from the heart, that this Rare Record is…

Act accordingly.. you ain’t gonna meet another in this condition perhaps ever again..

Sorry, this item has already been won!
The winning bid was £ 652.00

10084_1sm.jpg10084_1sm.jpg10084_2sm.jpg

Bill Brandon

The Streets Got My Lady / Tag Tag

When Moses Dillard does a session he does a proper one, no 1/2 measures. BOTH sides of this genuine original 1st. press gives up scintillating Soul of two differing genres but equally impressive.

Top side has been a dancefloor favourite for decades. I remember the glee on Mick Godfrey’s face when we found a single lone copy in Los Angeles more than 30 years ago. It was then a tune of the moment.. but neither of us had any idea at the time that the New York “Island” scene was equally frantically trying to track down a copy or two, for the beautiful Sam Dee’s crafted flipside “Tag Tag”

Take time, to listen to two sides delivered by an artist at the “Top Of His Game” whether it be dance or a Deep Soul ballad this 45 provides them at their finest!

The “Island” scene had little success meeting the demand for “Tag Tag” and ended pressing their own - be assured this “full colour” 

The winning bid was £ 363.00

10077_1sm.jpg10077_1sm.jpg10077_2sm.jpg

Jim Gilstrap

When You Come Back Down

Sweet, Sweet ballad - Soulful stroller dripping with class…

The muted intro of a solitary drum beat glides into a bank of stings; you could be forgiven for thinking “The Sound Of Philadelphia” has just started pouring from your speakers. But no, this lush production is most likely a California session, from one of the Golden States most-prolific music-men Jerry Fuller, a lyricist & producer of renown; teaming up with the equally respected “name” of H. B. Barnum, as the pair pull heavily from 1974’s Philadelphia influences.

This session will spark the interest of those many “Sweet Soul” collectors who delight in the Philly Sound. Listen to what could easily have been Stan Watson, Thom Bell or Kenny Gamble at the controls ..

This disc is no certainly no easy find and fits perfectly into our “make it interesting” policy, as i don’t think many of you will have heard it before, and even less actually own a copy.

VINYL - Flawless LABELS - Perfect SLEEVE - Perfect

The winning bid was £ 80.00

10086_1sm.jpg10086_1sm.jpg10086_2sm.jpg

Nolan Porter

If I Could Only Be Sure

Collecting British release Northern Soul DEMO copies is one of the most challenging but at the same time satisfying branch of the Rare Soul vinyl collecting phenomena.

I adore those Red & Whites or the Green & White and even more attracted to the startling MGM Pink & Silvers; things of beauty from which the truly dedicated suffer, from vinyl-visions pulse-racing effects.

So, unfortunately the 70s Rare-Soul UK Demo’s rarely trigger the same “Goospimple” fall out.. but their are a few exceptions to the rule and this listing is one of them. Not only because it is arguably the best-loved of all Northern Soul 70s recordings, filling the floors for well over two decades now and still no signs of weariness from overplay! But because I’ve so seldom encountered a promo copy - I’m finding that colour-scheme of Pink/Black/Plum a thing of real-artistry.

Rare, totally alluring and of course a perennial dancefloor-stampede-starter… what’s not to love?

The winning bid was £ 452.00

10083_1sm.jpg10083_1sm.jpg10083_2sm.jpg

Yvonne Vernee

It's Been A Long Time / Your Touch

There is something totally inevitable about the vision of a Detroit rarity in flawless condition..those chilling words “To Have And To Hold From This Day Forth..” are forcibly blocked from your mind..

This Daughter of Detroit has a most impressive singing CV especially under the Correc-Tone’s wing. The voice behind George Harrison’s choice to persuade The Beatles to record The Donays - Devil In His Heart - a Correc-tone recording.

Correc-tone was a label that could easily have rivaled the likes of Motown; as their stable of talent included the likes of William Mickey Stevenson, Sonny Sanders, Wilson Pickett, Don Juan Mancha, Gino Washington, Robert Bateman, Richard Popcorn Wylie, Theresa Lindsey etc. all passed through the door of 9031 12th Street, Detroit on a regular basis…

Yvonne on this occasion is guided by William Mickey Stevenson and gives up a fabulous Motownesque screaming dancer, drenched in every characteristic of the 60s Motor City era.

But it’s on the flipside when you hear the real depth of Yvonne’s “Soul” as she delivers on searing harmony ballad, backed by an uncredited gathering of girls.. Harmony collectors consider this side a very special recording indeed..

Yvonne of course later filled the vacancy left by Saundra Mallett within the Elgins and deservedly became a Motown artist..

Vocally Yvonne Vernee was one Significant Soul Sister who was undoubtedly under recorded as these two “saturated in Soul” sessions will confirm…

VINYL - Flawless LABELS - Perfect

The winning bid was £ 103.00

10076_1sm.jpg10076_1sm.jpg10076_2sm.jpg10076_3sm.jpg10076_4sm.jpg

Hesitations

Hesitations 4 Track French Ep

PIED PIPER!!

Yes, I know; I sound like a Parrot, I sound like a Parrot, I sound like a Parrot, I sound like a Parrot, I sound like a Parrot, I sound like a Parrot, ..

PIED PIPER are without question the most talent studio gathering to ever create of Soul Recording - but you knew th\at already.

Thought we would remind you of the unsurpassed 60s Soul Sound they crafted by listing this extremely desirable 1967 French 4 track EP from the Detroit Office of “Pied Piper”

All four tracks are killers, as is the imaginative laminated Picture Cover depicting thumbnail “facials” of this highly regarded five man Soul Gang..

VINYL - Flawless LABELS - Perfect FRONT COVER - Mint - BACK COVER - tape residue over one 1/3rd left hand side (See Scan)

The winning bid was £ 74.00

10078_1sm.jpg10078_1sm.jpg10078_2sm.jpg

Sherrell Bros

The Price

Well this tune did snooze for a few decades in the obscurity of the world’s most-comprehensive Soul Collections,didn’t it. Limited to a few early doors spins; The Topic of intelligent bar stool conversations, forums or a quick play to the wife to vindicate why she hasn’t once been taken to a restaurant in the last 20 years.

It’s because you’ve invested all your spare money in rare Soul tunes with huge potential for the bigger-ticket. Well if you already own this disc, its time your lady experienced a KFC Bucket at a local beauty spot.. because like so many stand-out 45s before it, the Northern Soul scene, not before time, has give turntable-time to this superior recording.. and the hunt is on.

A NS rising star that needs catching ASAP

The winning bid was £ 677.00

10082_1sm.jpg10082_1sm.jpg10082_2sm.jpg

Mixed Feelings

Sha-la-la / Love Will Find A Way

When it comes to the rare, best-loved 70s dance 45’s. This infectious rarity takes some beating… TOP TUNE for Top Jocks for many years now with no sign of it losing any flavour..

Instantly appealing vocal-group

The winning bid was £ 3,570.00

10079_1sm.jpg10079_1sm.jpg10079_2sm.jpg

Paul Smith

I'll Run / Ain't That Something

Two top-drawer Chicago Soul tunes, that have captured the imagination of all the varying Rare Soul scene worldwide. This listing is of course the 100% authentic original press.. beware of the New York repro press that can catch the unwary collector napping..repressed to meet the demand of “Island” scene.

We lead with the “Island Scene” preferred side, as it exhibits Beat Ballad Heaven at it’s most convincing. Silky smooth, seamless stroller of the very highest order, you can understand why the demand from “Island” stronghold in New York triggered a “repro” press.

Flip it over and you’re treated to concrete Northern Soul in the classic style, of Chicago as Johnny Haygood’s label again gives the collector a remarkable release to hunt…

Having said “Ain’t That Something” is purely-perfect Northern Soul; today in 2015 on the back of selected Sunday Pub Soul sessions, Facebook’s Beat Ballad Heaven, You Tube exposure “I’ll Run” we think has leapfrogged the stomper with carefully crafted “Soul-Bliss”, a true mid-tempo delight that is gracing the turntables where the “New Appreciation of NS” is taking place…

Carib Soul is one such place championing this style..

A two for the price of one - genuine 100% original first press

The winning bid was £ 264.00

10075_1sm.jpg10075_1sm.jpg10075_2sm.jpg

Metrics

Wishes / I Found You

Two sides of distilled 60s vocal-group Rare Soul.

Superior and decidedly fabulous East Coast vocal-group Northern Soul on the highly coveted by sadly short-lived offshoot of the iconic CARNIVAL Records of New York. Imaginatively christened by label owner Joe Evans as he lived at 350 Chadwick Avenue, Newark, New Jersey.

This eye-catching local label also boasted the slightly more possible to capture, Topics 45; But strangely nothing else. Leaving the CHADWICK label with an air of mystic, with both 45s being more than extra-special vocal-group recordings.

Again a case of there never being enough copies around, for it ever to become a Northern Soul classic, even though it has everything required to be one.. so if your a DJ looking for something to turn-heads, this will certainly do the trick..

Or if you’re a collector gathering up as many top quality seriously-rare vocal-group Soul 45’s, both sides of this disc deliver the characteristics we are all seeking..

Seldom if ever comes to market, and certainly never in this gleaming condition. this is not a listing to start stroking you chin over… but you knew that already..

The winning bid was £ 288.00

10080_1sm.jpg10080_1sm.jpg10080_2sm.jpg

Pointer Sisters

Send Him Back

Genuine VINYL press PROMO copy

VINYL - Flawless LABELS - Perfect SLEEVE - Perfect

I’m sure that is all the information required for this current Leviathan of the TOP 500 Northern Soul choices..

The winning bid was £ 410.00

10087_1sm.jpg10087_1sm.jpg10087_2sm.jpg

Deloris Ealy & The Kenyattas

Traveler In Space

Funk Fan here a 45 you never see on the market - from a California Sister who really knows how to deliver a Funk tune. Backed by her faithful “Kenyattas”

The winning bid was £ 61.00

10081_1sm.jpg10081_1sm.jpg10081_2sm.jpg

Lonnie Lester

You Can't Go / You Choose

The power of Northern Soul R&B saw us list this set-sale last month and it stay on the website for less than a day… those proper guaranteed spins that trigger dancefloor congestion, just fly off the shelves.

So when we got lucky this week and acquired a totally pristine copy we figure the auction may give the many of you who desperately want a chance of ownership..

No embellishments on the sheer devastating power Lonnie emits during Duane Johnson productions that insists you take to the dancefloor, we have all witness the wildebeest stampede whenever that long held Hammond note drones.. you don’t even have to wait for Lonnie despairing pleas.. but when that insane Sax break kicks it…you are reminded just how very special this urgently beseeching dancer really is…

One “angry tune” you can’t grow tired of hearing - so get yourself a MINT minus, pristine copy to cherish!

The winning bid was £ 362.00

10090_1sm.jpg10090_1sm.jpg10090_2sm.jpg

Johnny Angel

The Two Together / A Touch Of Venus

Those old-school British release collectors are finding it year on year more and more difficult to add to their collection; Many turning into serial “upgraders” to keep their enthusiasm burning.

But when an impeccable condition Red & White PROMO comes to market offering something different, we are guessing very few of these guys will own a copy. Because it’s “Popcorn” Northern Soul which has only become really fashionable with the DJ’s in relevantly recent times.

I’ve always adored these Belgium “Popcorn” grooves and when it lives on a Red & White British DEMO I love it even more.

Dirty, sulking, dark n’moody dance grooves are now so darn “In” as Northern Soul clubs push the criteria required for turntable drops..

Love this and it’s Dog-Rare! It’s Gorgeous and totally addictive!

We have soundfiled the flipside too, as there is a multitude of our members who just scramble for the impossible TEEN records.

But POPCORN you just can’t ignore the sound..

The winning bid was £ 51.00

Social source share

is the Nolan Porter the LP version or something?

Lonnie Lester crazy too. I get that prices of things go up, but this was £100 for 15 years with always one available, so why didn't these bidders grab one in that small window of opportunity? they cant all be youngsters, spending that sort of money.

Social source share

Guest Gogs

Pointer Sisters Demo makes sense as issues are controversial. Lonnie Lester now hard to find but this price is off the wall. Mind you, lots of cheapies from 20 years ago are now impossible to locate in the USA.

I thought the same about the " Pointer Sisters" thought that it might have made £500.

Social source share

10080_1sm.jpg10080_1sm.jpg10080_2sm.jpg

Pointer Sisters

Send Him Back

Genuine VINYL press PROMO copy

VINYL - Flawless LABELS - Perfect SLEEVE - Perfect

I’m sure that is all the information required for this current Leviathan of the TOP 500 Northern Soul choices..

The winning bid was £ 410.00

I stand to be corrected but I'm certain that those  "Distributed By The Atlantic Atco Group" sleeves were never used for the main label releases and,  furthermore , those sleeves were not even in use after 1969. The Pointer Sisters was released in 1972 and ought to be housed in this type sleeve:

24a.jpg

Edited by sunnysoul
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Yes but Pointer Sisters isn't rare, why would anyone pay more than £125 for it?

And before you ask - at least 3 copies in the last 3 years...

Hi Pete. Was rare in my house. Had two fake issues now replaced by two demos, one vinyl the other styrene. Not cheap, but they sure look good alongside Tony & Tyrone, Cliff Nobles. Soul Brothers Six red and white demos. Much prefer the red and white demos to the black and white ones.

Social source share

I stand to be corrected but I'm certain that those  "Distributed By The Atlantic Atco Group" sleeves were never used for the main label releases and,  furthermore , those sleeves were not even in use after 1969. The Pointer Sisters was released in 1972 and ought to be housed in this type sleeve:

24a.jpg

John must have a barn full of company sleeves. When he's run out of records to bid on, he'll auction sleeves for us to start a thread on.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!