What's your favourite Motown Song?

Guest johnny hart

"Beware Of A Stranger" Rita Wright , From cellarful cd vol 3 ,Nick and Val written produced,from 67 ,a funky edge invictus style chugger. While im on topic from cellarfull Vol 4; " In The Cool Of The Night" David Ruffin, "I Need You More than Ever " Paul Williams {what a guy This Tempt Has got the timing ,delivery ,mellowness of a very soulful Sinatra} all on u tube  lol johnny ,great popular post Mary, LOL Johnny

Social source share

When I saw this thread, I agreed with the comment that we have done this several times before and I thought that it would disappear swiftly. But we are suckers for Motown and some of the tracks mentioned on here - well known and not so well known - are just amazing and I have thoroughly enjoyed reading it.

My number one Motown track has to be Stevie Wonder I Hear a Symphony...just about the best record ever made. I love all Motown, particularly the uptempo/northern stuff, but 2nd place goes to the Tops version of Do What You Gotta Do. 

Err, can anyone put Stevie up for me?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Far to many Gems to chose from and if you did choose you would probably change  your mind five minutes later the choice with Motown is Overwhelming.

Cheers Mick L

I'm with you on that one (and no doubt others are too). I love them all, but occasionally loathe them when overplayed at venues or more especially on radio or at weddings, the latter thinking there were only 8 releases on the label.

OMO (that's Only My Opinion as opposed to IMO)

Regards

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Goodbye Cruel Love was released on Motown and is, by far, the most common.  If you have it on yellow Tamla with Globes, it's the Canadian pressing.  Yes, now I remember that there was one small batch that had the wrong word (guessed wrong by the printer).

The title credit 'Good bye cruel WORLD' was issued only on the firsts promo pressings with the bold Motown design.  Then quickly corrected. So I guess like you that it's the printer's mistake/lapsus since the map Motown design didn't suffer that faith as none of the commercial releases. But indeed what a morbid tune that would have been LOL.  55a18e261ac5b_Capture_dcran_2015-07-11__55a18efd3035e_Capture_dcran_2015-07-11__55a18f0f428e1_Capture_dcran_2015-07-11__

Social source share

Ten front room floorfillers for me - love them all:-

Bobby Taylor - Don't be afraid

Kim Weston - A thrill a moment

The Originals - Don't stop now

Four Tops - Can't seem to get you out of my mind

Marvin Gaye - Come get to this

Jr Walker - What does it take

Stevie Wonder - If you really love me

Barbara McNair - Forget you ever met me baby

Martha & The Vandellas - Love guess who

Dynamic Superiors - One Nighter

• Helpful 2
Social source share

As previously mentioned, with such a huge portfolio, my own Motown  favourites include many previously mentioned, however a few I have been airing regularly at home,are coincidentally all on the same label.

Ivy Jo -I can feel the pain-VIP

Vows-Tell me -VIP

Underdogs-Loves gone bad-VIP

Social source share

Far to many Gems to chose from and if you did choose you would probably change  your mind five minutes later the choice with Motown is Overwhelming.

Cheers Mick L

I used to play It's A Shame' every set so overdid it a bit haha but still a solid fave! Recently started playing it again now & then

Social source share

I would say a rather difficult question so I will go with Marvin Gaye who at the time said his favourite was 'Little Darlin', so good enough for me!   another that I have heard a thousand times but always gets me dancing, Temptations 'Get Ready'.

Social source share

Might make a list..but meantime how about the perfect double header: the UK 45 of The Tempts sublime 'loneliness made me realize...' has the earlier 'a love i can see' on the flip. What a very splendid piece of plastic.

dean

Social source share

In no particular order, some favourite recordings rather than favourite songs, but first two listed are both -

What's Going On - Marvin Gaye

My Love Is Your Love - Isley Brothers

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tell Me It's Just a Rumour Baby- Isley Brothers 

My Weakness Is You - Edwin Starr

Jimmy Mack - Martha Reeves & The Vandellas 

(wooden blocks used instead of drums to recreate sound of American Civil War army)

Can't Seem To Get You Out Of My Mind - The Four Tops

(Ashford & Simpson meet Levi Stubbs = Soul Heaven)

Ain't No Mountain High Enough - Marvin & Tammi

Baby I Need Your Loviing - Four Tops 

Helpless - Kim Weston

I Got A Feeling - Barbara Randolph 

(met her and told her about being 16 and getting this on Walsall Market and then looking at it on the bus all the way home and then playing it 20 times in a row, she must have thought I was mad)

Lucky Lucky Me - Marvin Gaye

(All the time when we were kids in love with "All For You" this vocal was lost in the vaults, tragic)

Just A Little Misunderstanding - The Contours

Keep on Loving Me - Frances Nero

Shotgun - Junior Walker 

Come On And See Me - Tammi Terrell

Ain't Too Proud To Beg - The Temptations

There's hundreds isn't there!

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest manusf3a

Love the  Spinners  I'l always love you!.......................what a soulful song love it .

One of those thats with you all through your life and there for events that matter brings memories flooding back.One of many that do that but for me everytime I hear it its memory lane time for events in my life.

Edited by manusf3a
Social source share

Guest nickw

Like most, it changes - almost daily.

Lately I have been playing Jimmy Ruffin - Gonna Give Her All The Love I've Got quite a bit along with Motown Spinners - Sweet Thing 

Social source share

Cheers Mick L

"Lonely, lonely girl am I" - Velvelettes, lesser known "I've got to find it" - Brenda Hollaway.

Social source share

Richard Searling on his show today played an hour of classic Motown and featured two sublime Marvin duets, When we're together with Kim and Your precious love with Tammi. Both tracks are so utterly beautiful and pretty much perfect down to the last note. 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Richard Searling on his show today played an hour of classic Motown and featured two sublime Marvin duets, When we're together with Kim and Your precious love with Tammi. Both tracks are so utterly beautiful and pretty much perfect down to the last note. 

Ace can't wait to listen I've been away on hols will catch up tomorrow.

Any other shows you recommend?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!