Greg Perry "Heart" when & where

Clifton Hall and Cleethorpes Winter Gardens and everywhere in between I think Ady.I think the 7 was played first but I could be wrong - it was a long time ago!

Great dance track.

Peter

:thumbsup:

Edit - Probably worth mentioning that it was also booted on that SOS label.

Edited by Peter99
Social source share

Was it first played? As a 1982 release, maybe everywhere. Was it first of 12" or 7"? Ta Ady

It was played as a 'new release' so to speak.  A lot of 7"s came via Soul Bowl and the 12"s from Ian Clarke. I  ordered a 12"  from Ian to pick up at the 100 Club. In the queue, about 3-4 people in front of me,  someone had one so I asked if it was for me & Ian said "If I had known your hair was that short, I would have refused to sell it to you"!

Edited by simon t
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Now here's a funny thing. I've always thought that this had a dodgy line/lyric - even posted it up on here before and no one challenged me. But, I've just listened to the record again and it appears I've been wrong for the last 30 odd years! Doh! :elvis: 

Have a listen at 2.09 - I thought he was singing "you can move a car" - but just realised he says "you can over come". LOL

Edited by Peter99
Social source share

I don't get out much nowadays, but the last time I was out I was astounded at a DJ, who only had a half hour slot played the 12 of this(I didn't know it, but it sounded like a male version of Evelyn Kings, "Shame", to me). Could have played 3 northern soul records in the same time!!!!!!!!

Paul

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I don't get out much nowadays, but the last time I was out I was astounded at a DJ, who only had a half hour slot played the 12 of this(I didn't know it, but it sounded like a male version of Evelyn Kings, "Shame", to me). Could have played 3 northern soul records in the same time!!!!!!!!

Paul

Shame.

:D

• Helpful 2
Social source share

First heard it on Robbie Vincent's Sunday show on Radio 1 (if it moves - funk it!).  Still have it on a tape of the show but can't be sure of the date, could be between 82 and 84. In fact , I still have an 'If it Moves - Funk It' car sticker too!  I'll get the tape out of the garage this weekend to check the date.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

First heard it on Robbie Vincent's Sunday show on Radio 1 (if it moves - funk it!).  Still have it on a tape of the show but can't be sure of the date, could be between 82 and 84. In fact , I still have an 'If it Moves - Funk It' car sticker too!  I'll get the tape out of the garage this weekend to check the date.

It was definitely played at all niters as a new release in 1982.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I think it's a "shame" that DJ's who used to play relatively funky new releases like this back in the day.....and have no issue with telling us so when the opportunity arises before anyone berates me for saying this.......seem to have largely given up on new releases unless they sound like they were produced in the 60's or 70's!!

Is it an age thing......comfort zone. ......vinyl availability. .....or just gave up?  Don't tell me "it's because there are no good new releases"! !

Cheers, 

Mark R

• Helpful 3
Social source share

it was a decent size soul hit in the usa... would seem odd how it would not be easy to get in the shops that stocked imports at that time

I bought my copy from my local import shop in Swindon so definitely available as a 'normal' import.........

• Helpful 1
Social source share

massive at morecambe always seems to get no recognition it deserves the first 3 years at the central pier were unreal. Possibly the best attended allnighter in the country at that time. Shame had some quality nights there great mixture of oldies and modern. talked to richard  searling and he said the pier was an unreal allnighter one of the best in his opinion   

• Helpful 2
Social source share

massive at morecambe always seems to get no recognition it deserves the first 3 years at the central pier were unreal. Possibly the best attended allnighter in the country at that time. Shame had some quality nights there great mixture of oldies and modern. talked to richard  searling and he said the pier was an unreal allnighter one of the best in his opinion   

couldn't agree more with your comments it was massive at the central pier & the place really did bounce when the stomping started! 

Triode

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Yep was a massive record at Clifton Hall John. I reckon Sean Hampsey and Steve Mannion.

Peter

Yep - I played it from new release, every weekend for a couple of years in fact (right up until Parr Hall and Morecambe).

Was a big play at Clifton Hall, KGB, Cleethorpes and Bradford Queens Hall.

And you're right Peter, a couple of us played it, probably Steve and Pat from memory.

Humungous Clifton record.

Sean

Edited by Sean Hampsey
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Yep - I played it from new release, every weekend for a couple of years in fact (right up until Parr Hall and Morecambe).

Was a big play at Clifton Hall, KGB, Cleethorpes and Bradford Queens Hall.

And you're right Peter, a couple of us played it, probably Steve and Pat from memory.

Humungous Clifton record.

Sean

Hi Sean

Hope you're all well Sir.

Peter

Social source share

Hi Sean

Hope you're all well Sir.

Peter

Very good Peter thanks mate.

Just thinking, Steve Croft would probably have played it a few times too at Cleggy from the 'share' box.

Reading the comment above, I understand it wasn't 'classic Northern' but these were very creative times and we were committed to playing the whole of Soul, which often meant the best of the new releases in particular!

Sean

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Maybe all of the above Mark :)

A very quick answer, because I don't have time for a long debate, but I do think your question is a fascinating one (that we've touched on before) and deserves an answer, albeit short and sweet.

I can't speak for all of us, from back then, but I think in my case I always included new releases if they were 'good enough' for many years but, in the past 10 years, simply got tired of wading through all the average stuff and the terrible stuff, because time is much more limited for me these days (than it would have been 20-30 years ago) and (to my ears at least) there are simply fewer good new releases in comparison to the 70's & 80's.

To be fair, although I was working every weekend at the dawn of the 'Modern Soul' era I never saw myself as simply a 'Modern' DJ in the first place. I was more a 'Whole of Soul'  or 'No Era' DJ and always played both decades (60's and 70's) from when I first started DJing in the early 70's and then  promoted 60's, 70's and 80's in the 1980's and beyond.

The 'decade' thing never bothered me in the slightest and I don't think it did for most of my peers at the time either. It always struck me that those who declared themselves as being 'Modern' DJ's had to be more interested in being 'upfront' than in playing just great records, regardless of the era. That's understandable. When you DJ or 'run' a Modern Night' what else would you play? But, for me, I soon developed an intolerance of the 'modern' productions I was hearing and kissed the 'Modern Scene' goodbye. I think the likes of Arthur Fenn would agree with me that some of us felt it didn't suit us to try and plough a purely 'Modern' furrow.

This is why I decided to move into places like Pitches, Phoenix, Soul Essence and more recently 'Just Soul' because I got to only play great records (to my tastebuds at least) regardless of when they were made.

Does any of that make sense Mark?

Sean

It does mate.......and yes, I do find the subject fascinating!

Cheers,

Mark R

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I think it's a "shame" that DJ's who used to play relatively funky new releases like this back in the day.....and have no issue with telling us so when the opportunity arises before anyone berates me for saying this.......seem to have largely given up on new releases unless they sound like they were produced in the 60's or 70's!!

Is it an age thing......comfort zone. ......vinyl availability. .....or just gave up?  Don't tell me "it's because there are no good new releases"! !

Cheers, 

Mark R

All of the above Mark :wicked:

First I heard play it was Steve Mannion but think that all of the people above were onto it at roughly the same time so it's all a bit irrelevant really.

Also know that Mr Perry still has a garage full of mostly 12" copy's but there are a few 7's in there too but he won't let them go cheap as loads have tried. 

Edited by Cunnie
Social source share

Not forgetting it was a staple part of any scooterist playlist during the 80's!

Had mates who were into the scooter scene in the 80's and as you say records like Greg P and Alfie Davison were big plays at the time for them. Funny when the majority of stuff they seemed to like was northern oldies such as Fortune teller, Our love will grow, Better use your head, etc. Presumably just a case of a couple of the bigger modern tunes crossing over from the soul scene? Hard to imagine the scooter guys digging modern soul like this though

Social source share

Guest Harry Hippie

Had mates who were into the scooter scene in the 80's and as you say records like Greg P and Alfie Davison were big plays at the time for them. Funny when the majority of stuff they seemed to like was northern oldies such as Fortune teller, Our love will grow, Better use your head, etc. Presumably just a case of a couple of the bigger modern tunes crossing over from the soul scene? Hard to imagine the scooter guys digging modern soul like this though

I remember it getting played at a big scooterist mid-week night in Kingston upon Thames (the now long gone Dolphin pub), possibly twice a night circa 84/85. It was so catchy and powerful I can see why it was (I remember it going round in my head after hearing it and wanting to get a copy - and then got the SOS copy. And later got the less interesting 12" off Ian Clarke). Also remember Eloise Laws Love Factory and Eddie Hollman I Surrender amongst some of the not too obvious (to me at least) oldies that got played. But generally, yes, scootersit sounds then (and ever since?) tend to be fairly limited. 

Social source share

This came over on 12" format in quantity, and was played by most jocks on both the club and the then modern soul scene alike. actually got mine from Top shop! in Norwich the same week it was imported. So a topic on who played records like this first is crazy and compleat guess work, given that so many people bought it at the same time. Mr Vincent also played some good indie soul during that period, which very few gave him credit for. Good shout Bobby.

Social source share

Yep - I'm sure Sam would have played it, along with Arthur too. 

Robbie Vincent may well have played it on Radio one, but he didn't join the Beeb until 1983, so that would have been after the event, so to speak.

It was a Top 5 Northern tune through most of 1982 and most of the top half doz DJ's of the time will have played it!

See 1982 Northern Soul DJ's, Venues & Tracks chart which should show what was going on at the time... 33 years ago!

Cheers,

Sean

1982 (2).jpg

Edited by Sean Hampsey
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Hi Simon

That's a tricky one!  Maybe Brothers Guiding Light for Sean (he'll soon correct me) and Steve - I want to say that I can remember but eeerrrrrrr..............! You'll be better equipped due to the recording prowess of your ghetto blaster! :wicked:

Hope you're well my friend.

Peter

Social source share

Yep - I'm sure Sam would have played it, along with Arthur too. 

Robbie Vincent may well have played it on Radio one, but he didn't join the Beeb until 1983, so that would have been after the event, so to speak.

It was a Top 5 Northern tune through most of 1982 and most of the top half doz DJ's of the time will have played it!

See 1982 Northern Soul DJ's, Venues & Tracks chart which should show what was going on at the time... 33 years ago!

Cheers,

Sean

great Sean your right the windmill Rotherham was a great venue on a sunday I used to travel up with Rob Smith and George  you used to play some cracking modern tunes along with Steve Mannion if I remember right

regards steve

Social source share

Hi Simon

That's a tricky one!  Maybe Brothers Guiding Light for Sean (he'll soon correct me) and Steve - I want to say that I can remember but eeerrrrrrr..............! You'll be better equipped due to the recording prowess of your ghetto blaster! :wicked:

Hope you're well my friend.

Peter

Cheeky ****!

https://www.mixcloud.com/hippopotami/

Edited by simon t
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Typically, I can't find the tape with Brothers G L on it, to give me a clue. I've put some other Wintergardens stuff up.

You set one of those questions that just goes round and round in your head - pretty sure it was BGL for Sean - and I know that Steve had a stand out record but can't remember! :dash2:

Sean/Steve?

Social source share

You set one of those questions that just goes round and round in your head - pretty sure it was BGL for Sean - and I know that Steve had a stand out record but can't remember! :dash2:

Sean/Steve?

Richard deffo had a 12 of GP, think Sean had a 7 like I did. 

You are correct about BGL being a record made huge originally by Sean. He told me to get a copy and it went massive. 

Interestingly although Alfie Davison was a big record at the same time as GP at CH and Cleggy, it was in fact a re activation as Arthur Fenn had it big at amongst other places the Masborough School of Dancing about eighteen months earlier. 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Richard deffo had a 12 of GP, think Sean had a 7 like I did. 

You are correct about BGL being a record made huge originally by Sean. He told me to get a copy and it went massive. 

Interestingly although Alfie Davison was a big record at the same time as GP at CH and Cleggy, it was in fact a re activation as Arthur Fenn had it big at amongst other places the Masborough School of Dancing about eighteen months earlier. 

Cheers Steve

So, put me out of my misery - what was your biggest record at the time - or as Simon said, your signature tune.

Hope your well by the way.

P

Social source share

Cheers Steve

So, put me out of my misery - what was your biggest record at the time - or as Simon said, your signature tune.

Hope your well by the way.

P

I'm fine thanks Peter, hope you're doing well. 

Dont think I ever had one, not like Sean with Ujima, Norman Connors and the like. ( Mind you he did play Annis!!!)

I always think you have to bear in mind some of Arthur and SAMs plays sometimes took a while to hit the nighter scene. Certainly I had Jan Jones very very early and suspect you may be thinking of Willie Darrington on Rav, the Ebb Tide cover up. Although everyone had them I was onto Charles Sherrrell Johnny Scott and Lucky Davis early and the Donna Washington cover up was mine (24 Karat Gold) which I got off Dave Raistrick I believe with an early copy of Timeless Legend. I recall Sam being not too pleased about TL and asking where I'd got it. 

I had some nice sixties things off John A as well. I recall buying Frankie Beverly on Fairmount and Lynn Varnado off Pat Brady for £35 each which seemed a fortune at the time, on the same night at CH both of which I still have. Then Adam rocked up with that Rouser copy one night! 

Good times! 

Social source share

I'm fine thanks Peter, hope you're doing well. 

Dont think I ever had one, not like Sean with Ujima, Norman Connors and the like. ( Mind you he did play Annis!!!)

I always think you have to bear in mind some of Arthur and SAMs plays sometimes took a while to hit the nighter scene. Certainly I had Jan Jones very very early and suspect you may be thinking of Willie Darrington on Rav, the Ebb Tide cover up. Although everyone had them I was onto Charles Sherrrell Johnny Scott and Lucky Davis early and the Donna Washington cover up was mine (24 Karat Gold) which I got off Dave Raistrick I believe with an early copy of Timeless Legend. I recall Sam being not too pleased about TL and asking where I'd got it. 

I had some nice sixties things off John A as well. I recall buying Frankie Beverly on Fairmount and Lynn Varnado off Pat Brady for £35 each which seemed a fortune at the time, on the same night at CH both of which I still have. Then Adam rocked up with that Rouser copy one night! 

Good times! 

Cheers Steve

Best of my all niter times. I always enjoyed your sets - some nice modern with some good 60's picks too. Funnily enough I bought a Willie Darrington last year - great record and yes I do recall you plating it.

Peter

Peter

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!