Greg Perry "Heart" when & where

massive at morecambe always seems to get no recognition it deserves the first 3 years at the central pier were unreal. Possibly the best attended allnighter in the country at that time. Shame had some quality nights there great mixture of oldies and modern. talked to richard  searling and he said the pier was an unreal allnighter one of the best in his opinion   

Morecombe pier was a bit mad: Richard played new stuff then went home and it became northern...different dance steps meaning you had to change your legs at three in the morning. Have you tried fitting a set of spare legs in a adidas sports bag?

Edited by dean jj
Social source share

kind of get what your saying dean it was 80% oldies /10%60 newies /10%modern but to me it had a great mixture to my tastes at the time. with not going to wigan as i was to young, the music was all new in a way and didnt mind the mixture of music. as with time your taste changes and the top 500 northern records become mundane and wanted to here unheard or rediscovered tunes id missed but to me morecambe was were i cut my teeth as it where and love it great fond memories of the pier allnighters  

Social source share

Robbie Vincent may well have played it on Radio one, but he didn't join the Beeb until 1983, so that would have been after the event, so to speak.

Point of order and slightly off the GP topic, Sean, but whilst Robbie Vincent's Sunday show might have started in 1983, he was with the Beeb much earlier with a Saturday evening show - I have a tape (actually recorded by my Mrs) from 1977!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Point of order and slightly off the GP topic, Sean, but whilst Robbie Vincent's Sunday show might have started in 1983, he was with the Beeb much earlier with a Saturday evening show - I have a tape (actually recorded by my Mrs) from 1977!

Yeah, and he probably played it first in 1978! :D

Seriously, it wouldn't surprise if he did play in as a new release in 1982. He was quite good.

Social source share

Guest son of stan

correct about BGL being a record made huge originally by Sean. He told me to get a copy and it went massive.

???? 

Slightly too young to have gone but I've always understood Brothers Guiding Light to be well known from Blackpool Mecca?

Also was a big underground club hit in New York from around the time of its release and came out on UK Mercury around then on a sampler/ compilation LP.

Social source share

???? 

Slightly too young to have gone but I've always understood Brothers Guiding Light to be well known from Blackpool Mecca?

Also was a big underground club hit in New York from around the time of its release and came out on UK Mercury around then on a sampler/ compilation LP.

BGL was played earlier but Sean had huge success with it in terms of a "reactivation" record.

:thumbsup:

Social source share

BGL , like Ujima and others were Mecca plays. We knew that at the time as did many many others. They reached a much bigger audience in the early eighties, as they deserved to. No one  thought they were brand new plays nor pretended they were. In fact BGL was bootlegged earlier, I think, with the Aristocrats on the other side. Possibly a NY boot. 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

BGL , like Ujima and others were Mecca plays. We knew that at the time as did many many others. They reached a much bigger audience in the early eighties, as they deserved to. No one  thought they were brand new plays nor pretended they were. In fact BGL was bootlegged earlier, I think, with the Aristocrats on the other side. Possibly a NY boot. 

la coupe.jpg

Social source share

Guest son of stan

correct about BGL being a record made huge originally by Sean. He told me to get a copy and it went massive.

Ok. That's interesting. And yes, I think that bootleg (on LaCoupe or something) was done for the New York crowd, judging by the other stuff that came out on that label..

Edited by son of stan
Social source share

???? 

LP comp also had Don Covay - It's better to have, wasn't it on Philips?

Social source share

Guest son of stan

LP comp also had Don Covay - It's better to have, wasn't it on Philips?

It's also got Aaron Neville's fantastic tribute to Steptoe and Son's horse 'Hercules' which I think goes for a few quid on 7" and Etta James 'Out on the Streets Again' which sounds a bit like Patti Jo. Good LP!

Yeah - Philips- you're right!

Edited by son of stan
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!