gwen owens: bootleg or real

dean jj

What's stamped in the runout will tell you.  Also, if I'm not mistaken, all the boots I have seen were styrene, pressed at Monarch(and so, have the etched delta (with the following etched number with a telltale 10,000 series number from the late 1970s). And, their label colour is a lighter and brighter shade of green, with slightly more yellow in the green hue.  The originals were not only a slightly more blueish and green, but darker. The only originals I have seen were vinyl, if I remember correctly (and were pressed in one of the smaller Detroit plants).  I used to remember the name of that plant.  But, I've forgotten it now.  I'm now in Munich, away from my records.  So, I can't check.

Edited by RobbK
Social source share

That explains why the boot goes for more than a real one on discog....the strange world of little round black things!

dean

Really?!?

A Gwen Owens boot at more than £5k ...?!

Come off it. Or is some misguided fool selling an original for less than £100? If so, let me know who they are ... I'll have as many as they've got.

Edited by Peter Richer
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Really?!?

A Gwen Owens boot at more than £5k ...?!

Come off it. Or is some misguided fool selling an original for less than £100? If so, let me know who they are ... I'll have as many as they've got.

i kinda think its because the real one has never been on discogs pete

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Well If you actually look at discog:

2011 bootleg goes for less than £10 and there are a few for sale

A listing for the original [i don't know if that is true] has gone for no more than £50 in vg+ condition according to the sales history. None for sale at present!

The listing for the 70's boot last sold Dec. 2014 for £90. 4 on offer at present from £40 to £70

I offer no analysis merely report.

dean

Social source share

Well If you actually look at discog:

2011 bootleg goes for less than £10 and there are a few for sale

A listing for the original [i don't know if that is true] has gone for no more than £50 in vg+ condition according to the sales history. None for sale at present!

The listing for the 70's boot last sold Dec. 2014 for £90. 4 on offer at present from £40 to £70

I offer no analysis merely report.

dean

I am highly sceptical (to say the least).

Please provide a link to the vg+ one sold as an original for £50. It is almost certainly mis-described if listed as an original. If it is genuine someone got an almighty bargain ... and the seller will be pig sick if they ever read a topic such as this and find out what they've let go.

Honestly Dean, the going rate for a decent copy will be about £5k.

Cheers, Peter

Social source share

Just opened the preview of this sale. Record dated as from 1966,Price was actually £48.35 , so presumably in dollars or euros, and the seller pointedly states it as vinyl not styrene!

dean

Yes but England also won the world cup that year! :)

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!