Arthur Wright R. I. P

• Replies 21
  • Views 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

As said a giant in the music business and especially soul music.  Extremely talented yet humble and more than willing to spend his time talking to fans of his music.  He will be missed by many of us.  Thank you for the music Arthur.  R.I.P.  

Edited by chalky
Social source share

I think Arthur Wrights name was one of those first 'Hallmarks' I learned to look for back in the early days - I can't think of a time he ever let me down. Thanks for the music Arthur, your like won't be heard again anytime soon.

Social source share

Sad to hear.  78 is much too young.  I'm not far away from there, myself.  I'd bet I own at least several 100 45s with Arthur's arrangements, and another few hundred with him as "merely" a session player.  He provided a large part of my music enjoyment, growing up.

Social source share

I remember buying the Kell Osborne cd on Arthur Wright's Nonstop Records label about 10 years ago in what was a very early online transaction for me. No idea how it happened, but I ordered one CD and somehow paid for it twice, although I didn't immediately realise that I'd done this.

After buying the CD I got a couple of emails from Arthur telling me that there were plans afoot for Kell to perform in the UK. I think this was one of the first times ever that I'd had any sort of interaction with someone actually involved in creating the music that I loved so much, and I was absolutely thrilled at the fact that here I was several 1000 miles away on the other side of the Atlantic exchanging emails with Arthur Wright. Wow!

I realised soon after that I'd paid twice for the CD, but just couldn't bring myself to go back and make a fuss about it.

Thank you for the music - and for the thrill. RIP.

Social source share

Genius for sure!

did Mr Wright ever do an autobiography? I've been a fan of his work for many years yet know very little about his life journey.....

rest in peace sir

Triode

Not that I know of. I wrote a bit about his vocal group with HB Barnum which had some great stories and we are working on a CD of his productions and arrangements but put it on hold while he was poorly. He fought the illness at least once and came back but not this time sadly.

Social source share

I remember buying the Kell Osborne cd on Arthur Wright's Nonstop Records label about 10 years ago in what was a very early online transaction for me. No idea how it happened, but I ordered one CD and somehow paid for it twice, although I didn't immediately realise that I'd done this.

After buying the CD I got a couple of emails from Arthur telling me that there were plans afoot for Kell to perform in the UK. I think this was one of the first times ever that I'd had any sort of interaction with someone actually involved in creating the music that I loved so much, and I was absolutely thrilled at the fact that here I was several 1000 miles away on the other side of the Atlantic exchanging emails with Arthur Wright. Wow!

I realised soon after that I'd paid twice for the CD, but just couldn't bring myself to go back and make a fuss about it.

Thank you for the music - and for the thrill. RIP.

that will be when I put Ady in touch with Kell to come to Cleethorpes but Kell became ill and never recovered from his illness really.  I did get a new Cd from Kell just before he died, I will have to dig it out and maybe someone can give it a spin on their radio shows or something.

Arthur was also working on a Cd of Kell's complete works.  It was supposed to near completion, not sure where it is at now?

Edited by chalky
Social source share

that will be when we Imput Ady in touch with Kell tomcome to Cleethorpes but Kell became ill and never recovered from his illness really.  I did get a new Cd from Kell just before he died, I will have to dig it out and maybe someone can give it a spin on their radio shows or something.

Arthur was also working on a Cd of Kell's complete works.  It was supposed to near completion, not sure where it is at now?

That's how events unfolded. Arthur said that Kell was planning to visit the UK at some point in the future to perform. Some time later he told me that this had been cancelled as Kell was unwell. Relative to that CD, which was produced and arranged by Arthur, there's one standout track on it - for me at any rate - called Mr Songwriter. Always had it in mind to get a carver done and play it out somewhere. Might still do that.

Social source share

That's how events unfolded. Arthur said that Kell was planning to visit the UK at some point in the future to perform. Some time later he told me that this had been cancelled as Kell was unwell. Relative to that CD, which was produced and arranged by Arthur, there's one standout track on it - for me at any rate - called Mr Songwriter. Always had it in mind to get a carver done and play it out somewhere. Might still do that.

Kell sent me another cd just before he died, one he put out on his own label. Will have to dig it out and see what is different to the one he did with Arthur although I ink the second was with Arthur too.

i used to have many late night chats with Arthur over Aol Messenger.  Always willng to help or simply have a chat.

Edited by chalky
Social source share

I received this today from Ron Barrett Jr, whose father was one of Arthur's closest friends.

" For anyone that would care to know, the services for Arthur G. Wright will be held this Saturday, July18, 2015 at The Centinela Valley Center of the Arts located at 14901 Inglewood Avenue, Lawndale California 90260.

Arthur's wife of over 50 years, Marlene Wright is one of the sweetest, down to earth women you could ever meet. I can see why their marriage lasted so long. I am sure because of those personality traits she would never make this request, but anyone that enjoyed Arthur's work, or plans to personally attend the services, on behalf of the family, Star Revue would appreciate, in lieu of flowers, a modest cash donation sent directly to Marlene Wright to assist with the services as well as to donate to several Music Based Charities that Arthur was involved in. There will be seating for 1500 at the center, but for those who cannot attend the mailing address is: Marlene Wright:1911 West 156th Street #8, Compton, California 90220."

There don't seem to be any PayPal details so if anyone who doesn't have access to a US bank account wants to donate they could email me at ady.croasdell@btinternet.com

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!