New release Northern hits

As a spin-off from the Greg Perry thread, how many big Northern records, as opposed to Modern that later became Northern, were played when recently released and still available. Big ones only please. I think Jackie Moore 'Both Ends Against The Middle' was but Archie Bell 'Here I Go Again' was probably deleted by the time it was played (could well be wrong there), same with Alfie Davison.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Loads of new release stuff  was played out and became quite biggies  ' if my memory serves me :- I recall Chuck Jackson -  "I've got the need"  - Larry Sanders "On the Real Side " being new/newish releases and were immediate embrassed. and became dance floor winners ( Especially at the world famous Abbey Youth club  In Worksop town on the Sunday night dance sessions ) circa 1974/75 ? - mmm seem to remember Flaming Emeralds "Have Some everybody " Fee records being played out as a new release ? I remember picking a copy up from a shop that sold new import 45s the  same weekend as hearing it out ...

Roger Collins " Sexy Suger plum " Paul Humpreys Cochise ABC  all floor fillers ' more to follow when I wake up properly and stop sneezing lol 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by tfk
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

What era are you looking for Ady?

Those that were big in the 70's only?

There's a few good examples above from the 70's.

You could also throw in Carstairs, Montclairs, Ernie Bush, Invitations 'Look On The Good Side', Johnny Johnson 'HoneyBee" - Jimmy James 'A Man Like Me', John Miles 'One Minute Every Hour' - Eddie Holman 'This Could Be A Night To Remember' Junior Walker 'I Aint Going Nowhere', Terry Collins 'I Love You' etc.

But if Greg Perry counts and you include tracks from the 80's etc. I guess you could include Bobby King - If You Don't want My Love -  Charles Johnson - Never Had A Love So Good, Otis Clay - Only Way Is Up - Echo, Johnny Bristol - Love No Longer Has A Hold On Me - Handshake, Keni Burke - Let Somebody Love You - RCA, Bileo - You Can Win - MTU Watts City, Atlantic Starr - Circles - A&M, Bobby Womack - So Many Sides Of You - Motown, Dells - Your Song - 20th Century etc.

They were all massive at Northern Allnighters and we saw them very much as 'Northern Soul' at the time - as opposed to exclusively 'Modern'.

:thumbsup:

Sean

Edited by Sean Hampsey
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

I only want new releases that were readily available, not ones that were big soon after release if your everyday punter couldn't buy a copy easily. I know You Sexy Sugar Plum was only a year or so old but you couldn't find it easily. I went into Fantasy's office in NYC trying to get copies. Didn't Charles Johnson used to cost a lot of money when it was big? Similarly I thought Larry Sanders 'On The Real Side' was hard to get for an everyday oik like me who wanted a copy when it was big. I suppose a test of whether they were accessible would be did Blues & Soul's Contempo and perhaps Select A Disc sell them at import prices when they were at their peak.

Social source share

Guest johnny hart

AC "What a Differance  Ady makes " Esther Phillips kudu, "heaven Must be missing an Ady " Tavares capitol, Check out KRs NS top 500 page 363/4 for list of "high Charting northern Soul To Enter The Pop charts " for more which might fit your precise convuluted criteria! {dont you sometimes wish youd never opened etc ] LOL Johnny

Social source share

Selectadisc used to advertise "new" northern releases I can recall K Gee by the Nightliters Scrub Board Trammps and LJ Reynolds all being termed as new northern releases, (they also promoted Spider  Limmie and the Family Cooking as northern believe me it was not!!!)

Social source share

To be fair a lot of the tunes listed aren't "Northern" ie Tavares, Peter Brown, DC Larue etc. The attendees of Station Rd would have been chucking themselves off the balcony if Russ had played "Do You Wanna Get Funky With Me" !! 

Social source share

By '75 you were as likely to hear a new release - like so many of those listed already - as you were a 'traditional' rarity -  I recall hearing the LP version of Esther Philips 'What a Difference A Day Makes' at Wigan - remember talking about it with Les Cockell outside.  Don't forget it was such  a small timespan back then - the Mecca went from The Bottle to exclusively new releases in a matter of 2 years and so many of the tracks could be heard at both Wigan and Cleethorpes.  I always insist it was not the rare soul scene it became i.e.  Stafford and beyond,,,

Social source share

T-Connection - Do What You Wanna Do 

I only remember it as a mainstream Disco record though. I can't imagine Blackpool being first with it either. All those Purley, Canvey Island types were bashing it too, surely. 

I remember dancing to it at Wigan when it was out, but not sure if it was one of those early sessions before the nighter or not.

Social source share

Maybe I've misunderstood, but there's no way The O'Jay's "I Love Music", Luther Vandross "Never Too Much" and some others listed above can be considered northern soul. Their appeal was much, much wider and even if it was played in a handful of small northern venues, it didn't do anything to broaden that appeal (except perhaps to the 100s who were there on the night)

Social source share

i had a hell of a job to get a copy of lou ragland ; since you said you would be mine; warner bros. ordered it every week along with many others all the rest would arrive but no lou ragland?

Footnote: Does everyone know that the UK issue is different from the US? Back in the 80's the Japanese collectors were mad for UK copies.

dean

Social source share

Scrub Board?

Footnote: Does everyone know that the UK issue is different from the US? Back in the 80's the Japanese collectors were mad for UK copies.

dean

I think it's just because of the great ballad on the flip. US issues with both sides are seldom seen to this day.

Social source share

T-Connection - Do What You Wanna Do 

I only remember it as a mainstream Disco record though. I can't imagine Blackpool being first with it either. All those Purley, Canvey Island types were bashing it too, surely. 

the 12 was massive on the hesc alldayers etc and as been said fairly sure made it to wigan etc -  that 2 mins of percussion was what it was all about for me

dont think anyone has mentioned that with a lot of these new releases they were similar things going on as with 60s rarities

but instead of rarity due to the lets say numerical reasons  it was about rarity due to the availability - new releases as promos/imports were at some points in their life just as exclusive as rare 60s plays

as in you had to be on your toes to get/hear the latest, and also as with 60s plays  stuff was dropped from the main venues once available to all 

a case of not hearing the rarest but hearing the newest which seemed to fit in well at the time as very similar approaches

of course as with a lot of these things you had to be there and sometimes looking back you may wonder if it  may just have been you in your very own young bubble/world :D

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I think the deal with the Charles Johnson 45 was that an initial quantity made it into the mainstream importers like Record Corner, Spin Inn and others. By the time it had become popular on the Northern Scene, TK was experiencing financial meltdown, but John Anderson managed to find stock at a distributors. At this point it became 'rare'.

Social source share

I know You Sexy Sugar Plum was only a year or so old but you couldn't find it easily. I went into Fantasy's office in NYC trying to get copies.

You should have gone to Amsterdam or Berlin instead. It came out in Netherlands and Germany same time as US. For whatever reason UK issue was 3 years later. Probably when there was enough demand from the underground Soul scene.

* NL issue was 1976, same as UK. US/Germany 1973

Edited by Benji
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Sad Girl - Carol Anderson ,RubyAndrews - I got a bone to pick with you ,Prince Phillip Mitchell -Im so happy ,Coffee - Casanova ,Seventh Wonder - Captain of my ship ,Alfie Khan - Law of the land ,James Bynum - Time passes by ,Third Time Around - Soon everything ....,Betty Wright -Where is the love ,Paul Humphrey - Cochise ,George Clinton -please dont run from me ( LP ).....

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Thanks Eddie.

Yep you had to be quick! I remember being on the phone to John at Soul Bowl quite a bit after scouring his typed up sales lists! . i was never a huge buyer and didn't buy expensive stuff but John was always a great person to deal with. Friendly, polite and helpful. 

Peter

Social source share

How about these

Double Exposure - Ten percent

Fantastic Johnny C - Don't depend on me

Gwen Owens - You better watch out

Vernon Burch - I'll be your sunshine & Frame of mind

Stanley Woodruff - What took you so long

Tower of Power - This time it's real

Whirlwind - Don't let him get the best of you

Nanette Workman - Lady Marmalade

Boby Franklin - The Ladies Choice