curtis - how can i tell her

just ask me - bobby thurston

anything i can do - collins and co

never had a love so good - charles johnson 

james walsh band - coz its you girl

ujima - im not ready 

Edited by rhino
Social source share

Were the two Tom Sanders bits on Portra ("I'll Get To That" and "Doing Bad" - Robert & Tom Sanders) played as new releases, or picked up a couple of years later?  

Similarly, what about "No Stranger To Love" by Glenda McLeod?  I know this has always been rare on original, but would it still have been picked up as a new release at the time?  Does anyone know who was the first to spin it?  I believe Stuart Cosgrove found the first handful, but was he actually the first DJ to play it?

Edited by Gene-R
Social source share

As a spin-off from the Greg Perry thread, how many big Northern records, as opposed to Modern that later became Northern, were played when recently released and still available. Big ones only please. I think Jackie Moore 'Both Ends Against The Middle' was but Archie Bell 'Here I Go Again' was probably deleted by the time it was played (could well be wrong there), same with Alfie Davison.

just a thought ady any chance of kent releasing a cd from this era?

Social source share

curtis - how can i tell her

just ask me - bobby thurston

anything i can do - collins and co

never had a love so good - charles johnson 

james walsh band - coz its you girl

ujima - im not ready 

Some of those were always a bit pricy and not easily available to all and sundry mate.

:thumbsup:

Social source share

Some of those were always a bit pricy and not easily available to all and sundry mate.

:thumbsup:

would class ujima and collins and co as pricey and could never of been able to afford them back then. Curtis was hard to pick up but wasn't dear only paid £30 for it

Social source share

Faming Emeralds "Have Some Everybody" was played on the Northern scene before it got distributed in the USA.

John Anderson had got Ist pressings from Fee (Woody Wilson) and gave Richard Searling a copy to play to build up demand before release. Richard spun it at a Manchester Ritz All-Dayer and I had a look at it whle it was playing and made a mental note of what it was.

That was on a Sunday and the next Saturday afternoon I was at a Detroit distributors, at the start of a record buying trip all over the USA. The guy only stocked had new releases - no 1960's - and wanted to go home as I kept saying no thanks  to everything he played...

Finally, he said before closing for the day and sending me on my way, he would open up a box of stock of a brand new record that had arrived that morning to ship the following week. He pulled out "Have Some Everybody" and got exasperated when I said "I'll take them" before he even played it, saying I could not possibly know the record as he had not even heard it, and he had the first stock from the label to any distributor.

I don't know if hew believed me when I explained how I knew it, but stopped being exasperated  when I paid for all the 500 copies he had.

Talk about being in the right place at the right time!

.Twenty minutes found some Skullsnaps and Garland Green LP's at a store in shopping mall ..and then on to Bob Mays which is another story..

I love stories like this....

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I remember Lily Fields "Love Has So Meanings" and Danny Reed "What Makes Her A Woman" being advertised as new releases by New York distributors in Billboard which you could get in the UK every week pretty easily, and sending off for 25 copies a time and they would arrive pretty quickly. Cannot remember for the life of me how we made payments in those days. 

Social source share

I remember Lily Fields "Love Has So Meanings" and Danny Reed "What Makes Her A Woman" being advertised as new releases by New York distributors in Billboard which you could get in the UK every week pretty easily, and sending off for 25 copies a time and they would arrive pretty quickly. Cannot remember for the life of me how we made payments in those days. 

I remember buying those and Boogie Man Orch off Rick Todd and Dick Jervis from Grimsby , they used to play them to me down the phone when I was at work lol ! then I would see them at the Gables Country Club , one week I couldn't go and in the next weeks advert in the local paper , at the bottom it said something like " Swifty , don't forget you owe £3.00 for some Records :lol:.

Were there any of the harder Ric-Tic records mate ? I just can't imagine the excitement of getting stuff in those days :hatsoff2:

Social source share

I remember buying those and Boogie Man Orch off Rick Todd and Dick Jervis from Grimsby , they used to play them to me down the phone when I was at work lol ! then I would see them at the Gables Country Club , one week I couldn't go and in the next weeks advert in the local paper , at the bottom it said something like " Swifty , don't forget you owe £3.00 for some Records :lol:.

Were there any of the harder Ric-Tic records mate ? I just can't imagine the excitement of getting stuff in those days :hatsoff2:

The Gables Country Club!

We had some big punch ups in there Swifty! One night everyone joined forces and it was Away United versus the Skeggy lot. I think our mutual friend Kev might have had a hand in kicking that one off. :wicked:

:pirate:

Edit - mm, I ought to add that this wasn't a northern do - it was a disco

Edited by Peter99
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

The Gables Country Club!

We had some big punch ups in there Swifty! One night everyone joined forces and it was Away United versus the Skeggy lot. I think our mutual friend Kev might have had a hand in kicking that one off. :wicked:

:pirate:

Edit - mm, I ought to add that this wasn't a northern do - it was a disco

Remember it well Pierre , I tried to put the statue thing outside through the front doors and missed and it went through the window on the left lol !

yeah , we all stuck together Mabo and louth but I thought it was the Grimsby lot ?

Happy Days mate , hope you're well Bud

Swifty:thumbsup:

Social source share

Moments - I got the need (LP ) , Eddie Holman - This could be a night ....,Originals - Down to love town .......

good shouts there Eddie on both your postings .....now you've got me thinking which came first with  " I got the need"  ???? 

I seem to recall  both the Chuck J and Moments versions being played similar times and both from off the LPs first - then CJ was released as a UK 45  ' but can't remember if  the CJ version got a release in the states or Europe on a 45 ? not forgetting the  Spooky and Sue version on European Decca records 45  ...  Mmmm :shhh:

tfk 

Edited by tfk
Social source share

The Bottle - Gil Scott-Heron/ Brian Jackson (Strata-East) was played as soon as The Winter In America album was released.

Game Players - Dooley Silverspoon

It's Better To Have (And Don't Need) - Don Covay

Mick Holdsworth mentioned Jeff Perry "Love Don't Come No Stronger" getting instant plays. We actually gave away UK Arista  demos of this as brand new release to first x number in at Manchester Ritz All-Dayer the Sunday before it was officially released on the Monday. Same with demos of Debbie Taylor "Just Don't Pay".

Social source share

A few more

EWF - Happy Feelin (LP & 45) Columbia, released in UK almost simultaneously on CBS

EFW - Biyo (LP & 45) Columbia, released in UK almost simultaneously on CBS

Mandrill - Never die (LP & 45)

Cleveland Eaton - Bama boogie woogie

Philly Devotions - I was a lonely man - Columbia

Candi Staton - Young hearts run free - Warner Bros

Frankie Sanders - Take another look - Juana

J. Blackfoot - Where is love - Soundtown

Archie Bell - Soul city walking - TSOP

Harold Melvin - The love I lost - PIR

Fat Larry - Center city - WMOT

Tower Of Power - You ought to be having fun - Columbia

Cloud One - Atmosphere strutt - P&P

Silvetti - Spring rain - Salsoul

Dooley Silverspoon - Game players - Seville

Social source share

good shouts there Eddie on both your postings .....now you've got me thinking which came first with  " I got the need"  ???? 

I seem to recall  both the Chuck J and Moments versions being played similar times and both from off the LPs first - then CJ was released as a UK 45  ' but can't remember if  the CJ version got a release in the states or Europe on a 45 ? not forgetting the  Spooky and Sue version on European Decca records 45  ...  Mmmm :shhh:

tfk 

I heard The Moments first ,off the Sharp LP ,I know Colin played it at The Mecca too.Not sure if it ever made a 45? Richard was also playing "Somehow you make me feel " and "Time will tell " off The Eddie Holman LP .This could be a night was played off the 12" and LP to begin with ,with the great long intro.....

Social source share

A few more

EWF - Happy Feelin (LP & 45) Columbia, released in UK almost simultaneously on CBS

EFW - Biyo (LP & 45) Columbia, released in UK almost simultaneously on CBS

Mandrill - Never die (LP & 45)

Cleveland Eaton - Bama boogie woogie

Philly Devotions - I was a lonely man - Columbia

Candi Staton - Young hearts run free - Warner Bros

Frankie Sanders - Take another look - Juana

J. Blackfoot - Where is love - Soundtown

Archie Bell - Soul city walking - TSOP

Harold Melvin - The love I lost - PIR

Fat Larry - Center city - WMOT

Tower Of Power - You ought to be having fun - Columbia

Cloud One - Atmosphere strutt - P&P

Silvetti - Spring rain - Salsoul

Dooley Silverspoon - Game players - Seville

I first heard "" Game Players "when Richard spun it off the LP during the early session at Wigan. J Blackfoot was Stafford, eh Dave.... 

• Helpful 2
Social source share

The Bottle - Gil Scott-Heron/ Brian Jackson (Strata-East) was played as soon as The Winter In America album was released.

Game Players - Dooley Silverspoon

It's Better To Have (And Don't Need) - Don Covay

Mick Holdsworth mentioned Jeff Perry "Love Don't Come No Stronger" getting instant plays. We actually gave away UK Arista  demos of this as brand new release to first x number in at Manchester Ritz All-Dayer the Sunday before it was officially released on the Monday. Same with demos of Debbie Taylor "Just Don't Pay".

"It's Better To Have (And Don't Need) was the other way around as it was played in all the high street discos in 1974 & was picked up on the Northern scene some years later. 

Social source share

The weekly lists from Soulbowl highlighted new releases, a couple I can remember from around 1975:

Lee Andrews and the Hearts Can't Do Without You.

Barnaby Bye Can't Live this Way

Boogie Man Orchestra Lady Lady Lady

George Benson Supership

The Miracles Love Machine

Social source share

You should have gone to Amsterdam or Berlin instead. It came out in Netherlands and Germany same time as US. For whatever reason UK issue was 3 years later. Probably when there was enough demand from the underground Soul scene.

* NL issue was 1976, same as UK. US/Germany 1973

Have to correct my post regarding the german release.. Even though it says (c) 1973 on the label and the respective Discogs entry says 1973 too it came out in 1976 according to the cat. number.

Social source share

To be fair a lot of the tunes listed aren't "Northern" ie Tavares, Peter Brown, DC Larue etc. The attendees of Station Rd would have been chucking themselves off the balcony if Russ had played "Do You Wanna Get Funky With Me" !! 

That would depend on the definition of 'Northern'. As a 14/15 year old going to the Cleggy Wintergarden nighters in 76/77, it was all Northern to me! New stuff like 'CATHEDRALS' was played along side Old stuff like 'I'll Forgive and Forget' etc...........Too young for the politics and only interested in staying on the floor. In short they were all 'newies to me, and about 75% of all the other punters. Even 'black soul music' filled the floor....happy innocent days indeed.

Na Na Na Na Na Na Na Na ........Na Na Black Soul..........

Ed

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!