Steve S 60

Free Windows 10

Microsoft are offering a free upgrade to Windows 10 for all Windows 7 and 8 owners.  Look for the Windows logo on the right of your PC's taskbar.  Can't help thinking there's some kind of catch, as Microsoft don't normally give stuff away.  I've registered for the upgrade, just have to wait and see what happens after the 29th.

We've been advised by the company that makes the software that runs our inventory and sales system NOT to take the upgrade as they haven't yet sorted their software to work with it, so I would advise anybody thinking of taking it to make sure that you will still be able to use all your software/peripherals, etc...

Doesn't seem any point upgrading for a desktop PC, all the new features are geared towards tablets and voice and touch screen apps.

You may well be right about the tablets the prices of which will go down.

Doesn't seem any point upgrading for a desktop PC, all the new features are geared towards tablets and voice and touch screen apps.

Upgraded from Windows 8 to 8.1 a while back on my laptop, it took 3 hours to upload and all it did was change my colour theme, thanks for the info regarding new features matt, definitely leave 10 alone.

Had a pop up from my anti virus program that the program isn't ready to run on windows 10 yet,another reason why I'm not taking the option up if you could burn it to a disc maybe I would then.

other way around aint it ?

had an bash via a beta a few months back and would say less tablet more desktop

can't remember much more apart from was ok and will install on all pcs here at home

I’m not sure if you have to register by a certain date, but when you do, you have until July next year to do the upgrade.  Personally, I wouldn’t bother using any latest version of windows for at least a year after its release.  Unless, of course, 10 is going to be MS’s first new OS that doesn’t need at least 1 service pack plus many updates. Windows 7 has been around since October 2009 and its pretty good IMO; however, I did a ‘clean’ reinstall last weekend and it wanted to install 192 updates, 184 of which were described as ‘Important’, 8 as ‘Optional’.

Some of the updates they say are for your security, are actually patches to stop people using hooky copies of software which is fair enough e.g.   KB971033.  If a doctor told you that you were seriously ill and may come to some real harm without him giving you some medicines, you want to know exactly what the treatments are going to be / entail.

It looks like 10’s automatic updates cannot be switched off. There has already been problems with MS automatic updates and others manufactures’ driver etc updating clashing.  Maybe a little cynical, ‘free lunch’ and all that, but might you end up with an OS that only likes to work with MS software?

If you don’t like it, can you have your legal and paid for windows 7/8/8.1 back?

For desktops & laptops I’d stick with windows 7 & if you have a touch screen, etc 8.1

Said I wouldnt bother but in the end I did ,upgraded earlier today, having a look to see what it has got what it is all about.Have had windows seven prior to this but always used chrome browser.

I think I`ll upgrade in June 2016 by which time Microsoft should have sorted any glitches etc. and I`ll still be able to revert back to 7 if I don`t get on with 10.

Said I wouldnt bother but in the end I did ,upgraded earlier today, having a look to see what it has got what it is all about.Have had windows seven prior to this but always used chrome browser.

Manus, how are you getting on with Windows 10?  How would you rate it on a scale of 1 (Steamy Windows) to 10 (Looking Through The Window)?

Manus, how are you getting on with Windows 10?  How would you rate it on a scale of 1 (Steamy Windows) to 10 (Looking Through The Window)?

would give it a seven,not to bad so far ,eaY to use sti;ll waiting to find out the catch for getting it for free,maybe there isn't one.Nice and smooth decent layout Ive gone from seven makes a good fit from there but thats expected.Iwill see if any glitches come up from here on in and let you know mate.Overall I am happy with it,expected disater or worse which didnt and hasnt so far transpired.Will be a hell of a job getting my parents go for it thugh they are at the age where they are the Original Suspicion, OF "FREE STUFF". .atb manus.

Edited by manusf3a

Which is the best system 7, 8 or 8.1 ?

7 by a country mile Chris, I just got my wife a new laptop as her old one is years old just to get an update to 10, it's an 8.1 and what a pile of shite!

Anyone got 10yet?, it said midnight on the 29th but not a peep so far.

7 by a country mile Chris, I just got my wife a new laptop as her old one is years old just to get an update to 10, it's an 8.1 and what a pile of shite!

Anyone got 10yet?, it said midnight on the 29th but not a peep so far.

Thanks, we've got to replace our PC in a few weeks/months time, will look for one with a 7 combination.

Downloaded it yesterday was using 7 which I found ok,8 was crud, 10 is far better than  the crud and so far seems pretty smooth     a new browser(so they New) to try out  as internet explorer was never in my good books and I  always used firefox before switching to google chroome for browsing.I am like a lot of folk just use my computer for e mails(And of course continue to develop my keyboard dysgraphia which is always getting worse and needing correction) ,browsing a few sites and doing a bit of writing so cant really comment on all the improvements they say they've made as I am a pretty basic(though not according to the psychaiatric services?) type of bloke.

Therefore I am happy ,no problems with the download and I am going to play around with their new browsr called"Edge!!!!!!", was  this the name they came up with as in "The cutting edge  of technology coming to you in this browser!", rather than the janitors cart of mop and bucket with special feature dustpan and brush,that was internet(still is of course)explorer!

Edited by manusf3a

own experience so far were mixed

easiest windows upgrade ever on one pc

on one with a oc'd Pentium G3258 wouldn't get past the reboot - kept reverting to 8.1 - till i switched the cpu to default settings in bios - then ok

work pc had to revert back to 8.1 as had  network problems which seemed to be due to having vpn software installed prior to upgrade

though the rollback was very easy and seemed trouble free 

I've got a desktop and laptop here. The laptop had a fully updated version of 8.1 but doesn't get much use so I thought best to try the upgrade on there. If there was going to be a nightmare/disaster better on there than the desktop.

Seemed to take a couple of hours in total but ran through without a glitch.

Early days but seems better to me than 8.1. Everything seems just a tad quicker and smoother. Could be just my imagination but that's the way it feels at the moment.

Don't suppose I will change from Firefox but the new browser seems better than Explorer.

So far so good. At the moment happy that I decided to dive in . . . . . . . . ! :)

8 hours ago, Chris L said:

What's the general opinion about the upgrade ? I haven't done it yet but may well do, what's everyone's experience ?

If I could roll mine back to Windows 7.0 I would do!............In my opinion it`s gone backwards in some respects, quite a way as well!

No wonder they were giving it away.

Edited by Steve Lane

4 hours ago, Steve Lane said:

If I could roll mine back to Windows 7.0 I would do!............In my opinion it`s gone backwards in some respects, quite a way as well!

No wonder they were giving it away.

Don't really want to change but keep getting reminders................

The worst thing about 10 is that there`s no option to control updates at all, so you have no idea what it chooses to foist on your system (although there`s a way of doing so if your ok with altering a few things here and there...... group policy and registry settings etc) That is one massive liberty they`re taking! 

It really looks like they spent very little on it.

One thing I have noticed is that when they do updates on 10 your privacy settings are returned to default i.e. snooping on everything you do but I believe they have changed it to keep your original settings.

On 05/04/2016 at 11:28, simon t said:

Can you not stop the update to 10,  and  further updates by deleting KB3035583?

Add Full Control permission to the "Administrators" and "Users" group in the Security tab and it should let you remove gwx.exe which is the culprit you want to delete!

Edited by Steve Lane

Comment now!

Comments are members only

Join Soul Source - Free & easy!

Sign in

Sign in here.

Sign in now!

Adverts

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.