len jewell: real or boot?

dean jj

Are you asking about his Pzazz release? If so;

The text "Delainieur Music (BMI)" on the boot its on the left hand side, on the original its on the right hand side

The pressing number "(G-272)" on the boot its on the left hand side under the above text, on the original its on the right hand side under the time

The Address "6725 Sunset Blvd, Hollywood, Calif" is on the left hand side on the original and isn't on the boot

On the original the Arrangement credits are above the productions credits, its vise versa on the boot

Edited by John Reed
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

original is styrene and bootleg is vinyl. 

real one here below                                                         and bootleg here below                                    55a62515da82c_Capture_dcran_2015-07-15__55a62569f1560_Capture_dcran_2015-07-15__

Edited by tlscapital
Social source share

I always wondered about the 'boot' - maybe it was just repressed by the label?

There's a lot of colours gone into it, as a rule they didn't use all that many in those days, to keep costs down.

Does anyone know the story as to who was behind this 45 getting pressed up? It wasn't getting played for all that long before they all turned up.

Just curious....

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I always wondered about the 'boot' - maybe it was just repressed by the label?

There's a lot of colours gone into it, as a rule they didn't use all that many in those days, to keep costs down.

Does anyone know the story as to who was behind this 45 getting pressed up? It wasn't getting played for all that long before they all turned up.

Just curious....

I thought this and a lot of other things were pressed up and sent over by Soussan in the 70's

If I remember having a copy of the list advertising a lot of rare titles on their 'original labels'

Like Mel Britt, Salvadors, Danny Monday etc.....all NOT 'original presses' but of course that was

cunningly omitted on list :wicked:

Social source share

Got my first Mel Britt from that bloody list. You had it in the Pilgrims Inn one evening.

Steve, got copies of all 3 things I listed above, sold the Mel Britt and Salvadors for what I paid for them but

literally had to give the Danny Monday away :(   

Social source share

The boot is very convincing as the label looks so authentic with the dazzling array of colours. I sold the boot when I acquired an original but wish I'd kept the boot for reference. For a jazz label, there were a variety of music styles and fortunately for us, a sprinkling of good Northern numbers. I cleaned A1 Recordfinders at Melrose and Vine out of their Pzazz stock in the 1990's but there were no Len Jewells in the load that had just come into the store. It was a big tune in the 70's hence it being booted but odd that there are so many differences between the original and the boot... In those days, most record buyers just wanted the sound and did not worry too much about the format.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!