The Boo and Boo-g-aloo Labels

Wilxy

Boo is a Detroit label. Sorry, don't know which studio used.

As far as I know, Boo was Chicago based.  The Brothers of Soul lived in Chicago during the late '60s, but they recorded some in Detroit (perhaps 35%), due to Fred Bridges' Detroit connections.  But, they used mostly Chicago people in Chicago, with Mike Terry coming there from Detroit.

I would guess that 2/3 of the Boo recordings were made in Chicago, and 1/3 in Detroit, and not all the Detroit recordings were made at Terra Shirma.  But, I'll ask my old buddy, Ralph Terrana and his brother, Russ (owners of Terra-Shirma).

Edited by RobbK
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

As far as I know, Boo was Chicago based.  The Brothers of Soul lived in Chicago during the late '60s, but they recorded some (perhaps 35%), due to Fred Bridges' Detroit connections.  But, they used mostly Chicago people in Chicago, with Mike Terry coming there from Detroit.

I would guess that 2/3 of the Boo recordings were made in Chicago, and 1/3 in Detroit, and not all the Detroit recordings were made at Terra Shirma.  But, I'll ask my old buddy, Ralph Terrana and his brother, Russ (owners of Terra-Shirma).

oh right, I just assumed with the Detroit pedigree that's where it was from. I'd be grateful sounds pure Detroit to me and I've obviously came to the conclusion based on that. You live and learn. Cheers Robb.

Social source share

As far as I know, Boo was Chicago based.  The Brothers of Soul lived in Chicago during the late '60s, but they recorded some (perhaps 35%), due to Fred Bridges' Detroit connections.  But, they used mostly Chicago people in Chicago, with Mike Terry coming there from Detroit.

Hi Robb,

Thanks for that response but the Terra Shirma question was related to the Boo-g-aloo label in particular.

Social source share

I understood that Boo was a Chicago label - Ric Williams owned - along with Aquarius, Zodiac etc.

However, the recordings were almost exclusively Detroit on Boo (and many on Zodiac and some on Aquarius were - such as Ruby Andrews on Zodiac).

I recall, without checking, that there is loads of info from Richard Pack's sleeve notes on the Brothers of Soul CD on Collectables - which (if I remember correctly again) said that all the Brothers of Soul recordings on Boo were done in Detroit, apart from "I'de Be Grateful".- that certainly sounds right to my ears 

Social source share

Thanks for the link.  Somehow, I had forgotten what I had read on that Fred Bridges webisode.  The recordings for the Boo releases were made in several different recording studios in both Detroit and Chicago, for different portions of the recording process (lead vocals, background vocals, strings, background tracks, etc.).  So, The Brothers of Soul did NOT come to stay in Chicago for long periods, but stayed in Detroit, and only commuted to Chicago fo one to 3 days or so.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!