• Replies 37
  • Views 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest in town Mikey

If James Trouble is reading this. Is this the track your mate played in the bar in Chapel Market in Islington?

If so, its a cracking tune, and I would like one too.

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

I'm sure your pockets are deeper than mine mate. I just 'won' another record on ebay for £3

It was in another section. But its on a label where all of the tunes on the same label in the Northern Soul section fetch upwards of £300.

Now I have to do a bit of detective work and see if have got a golden goose or a MacDonalds Murder Burger! biggrin.gif

Social source share

Yes, but the answer is 'no' sorry. I can put in on a CD for you or anyone else who might fancy a swap.

link

Damn & Blast wink.gif

Maybe I should have said have a copy for 'SALE' LOL!!!

I've got a soundfile, cheers :lol:

Still not sorted my gadget out for burning my vinyl, when I do Hippo, I'll drop you a line.

Jamie :lol:

Social source share

Damn & Blast  wink.gif

Maybe I should have said have a copy for 'SALE' LOL!!!

I've got a soundfile, cheers  :lol:

Still not sorted my gadget out for burning my vinyl, when I do Hippo, I'll drop you a line.

Jamie  :lol:

link

just outta curoisty - how diff is the 12 inch

- mix and value wise-

Social source share

I've not seen a twelve of the OTB track either; are you think of "If you can't tell me....." which does exist in both formats and they are different mixes?

link

Is that on Mercury Hippo, or I am getting mixed-up????

Jamie

Social source share

It's on Brite Lite, the 7" is best part of a grand and the 12" about a quarter of the price as it's not a good.  The 7" has been booted recently as a "10 inch pre-test press, that plays at 33rpm" often on ebay as buy now @£15

link

That's the fella - saw it on Manships auction.

Sure they did one on Mercury?? What was it??

Jamie

Edited by Jamie
Social source share

mark_iv_signs_of_a_dying_love.jpg

see its 7 plus mins

anyone pass on hows it compare ?

a few more  interesting  scans up there

https://www.soulmusiccollector.com/

link

The 7" is quite typical of records at the time (1977) with a part 1 (3:37) and part II (3:24) and so it's not surprising to see a 12" "disco" version released. Although I've not heard it I expect it will consist of the 7" mix plus a repetition of one of the verses and the intrumental break two or more times. Or parts I and II "stuck" together either side of the break beats; e.g. Curtis How can I tell her 12", & Flowers - For Real 12", respectivley. I suppose 7 minutes plus is not too unbearable when you are off your face on PCP "Disco Biscuits"!!!!

Social source share

The 7" is quite typical of  records at the time (1977) with a part 1 (3:37) and part II (3:24) and so it's not surprising to see a 12" "disco" version released. Although I've not heard it I expect it will consist of the 7" mix plus a repetition of one of the verses and the intrumental break two or more times. Or parts I and II "stuck" together either side of the break beats; e.g. Curtis How can I tell her 12", & Flowers - For Real 12", respectivley.  I suppose 7 minutes plus  is not too unbearable when you are off your face on PCP "Disco Biscuits"!!!!

link

mmm yep maybe, though not all mixes were as formulaised round them days, though posibly were and its me ears at fault

possible interesting future thread - lesser known 12 inch versions

or ones where 12 version was/is so much better

or other way round

choice is endless biggrin.gif

Social source share

The 7 mins version on the twelve is basically Part 1 and Part 2 from the 45 joined together. The b-side is pts 1 & 2, so you get the 7" version on the back of the twelve. If i was gonna DJ with it i'd stick to the short version.

I'd say without any doubt that it's much rarer than the 45, which is not the case with the Brite Lite release.

Tomo

Social source share

I'm pretty sure that Mark IV on Mercury were a different group to the New Jersey lot. Mark IV (Mercury) were produced by Roy C and recorded in a kind of southern style (even thought they recorded in NYC); their records are OK without being outstanding. They took Roy Cs formula sound and added harmonies to it, basically. Their Mercury lp has one decent funk-type tune, but I don't really like their approach to ballads.

The Mark IV on OTB and BriteLyte changed their name to Intrigue in the 1980s and did a couple of reasonable 12" singles, one on World Trade produced by Leroy Burgess springs to mind as being pretty good.

Social source share

I'm pretty sure that Mark IV on Mercury were a different group to the New Jersey lot. Mark IV (Mercury) were produced by Roy C and recorded in a kind of southern style (even thought they recorded in NYC); their records are OK without being outstanding. They took Roy Cs formula sound and added harmonies to it, basically. Their Mercury lp has one decent funk-type tune, but I don't really like their approach to ballads.

The Mark IV on OTB and BriteLyte changed their name to Intrigue in the 1980s and did a couple of reasonable 12" singles, one on World Trade produced by Leroy Burgess springs to mind as being pretty good.

link

Thanks Gareth,

I have heard of other recordings by 'Mark IV' on Mercury, but discounted them being the same as they were, like you said, ballad-types tracks (Maybe even Doo-Wop???) from 60's.

The one I mentioned was definately recorded in the 70's. I'd heard it a while back but forgot about it until this thread. I sort of wanted to refresh the ears by hearing a soundfile.

Do you reckon it was the other lot? And did the 'real' Mark IV record anything on Mercury??

Cheers,

Jamie :P

Social source share

Jamie

To confuse things further there's another Mark IV who recorded for Mercury in the 60s, who were from, I think, Texas: possibly some connection to Major Bill Smith. I can check in the vocal group bible to see if there are any connections between the Roy C/Mercury and OTB/BriteLite Mark IVs: they might have had one or more members in common.

gareth

Social source share

Jamie

To confuse things further there's another Mark IV who recorded for Mercury in the 60s, who were from, I think, Texas: possibly some connection to Major Bill Smith. I can check in the vocal group bible to see if there are any connections between the Roy C/Mercury and OTB/BriteLite Mark IVs: they might have had one or more members in common.

gareth

link

The Thick Plottens, just to make it easier!!!

I appreciate your help Gareth, there's a pint in it for you if you make the Ducie/NCSC on the 27th....

Jamie

Social source share

Mark IV - Signs Of A Dying Love - OTB

Got to have this.

Cash waiting........

Jamie  :D

jamien1@btinternet.com

link

Just as a matter of interest Jamie , there's a 12" 'slow' version of this on the other side of Kenny Long's 'Better to have Loved And Lost' 12" on Brite Lite (great dancer :D ) from the early 80's (can't remember exact date and can't be arsed to go and dig it out! :D ). I'm not too good on the who-was-in-what-band kinda thing but I think I remember Rob Thomas telling me that Kenny Long was Mark IV lead singer. The label obviuosly ties up but no doubt some swot will have all the info! I've got a white demo of 'signs' on 7" if you wanna offer me daft trades!! :D I think the yellow issue is perhaps rarer tho??

Steve

Social source share

Just as a matter of interest Jamie , there's a 12" 'slow' version of this on the other side of Kenny Long's 'Better to have Loved And Lost' 12" on Brite Lite (great dancer :D ) from the early 80's (can't remember exact date and can't be arsed to go and dig it out! :D ). I'm not too good on the who-was-in-what-band kinda thing but I think I remember Rob Thomas telling me that Kenny Long was Mark IV lead singer. The label obviuosly ties up but no doubt some swot will have all the info! I've got a white demo of 'signs' on 7" if you wanna offer me daft trades!!  :D I think the yellow issue is perhaps rarer tho??

Steve

link

Hi Steve :D

I've picked up a Yellow issue, so haven't really got any pennies left, or anything decent worth trading!!! :D

Thanks for the tip on Kenny Long.

Cheers,

Jamie

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

The 7 mins version on the twelve is basically Part 1 and Part 2 from the 45 joined together. The b-side is pts 1 & 2, so you get the 7" version on the back of the twelve. If i was gonna DJ with it i'd stick to the short version.

I'd say without any doubt that it's much rarer than the 45, which is not the case with the Brite Lite release.

Tomo

link

Only because you've got one Tomo :D but yes i'd agree with that although the 7 is eminently more usable in tents having said that i personally love the 12" of Flowers - For Real which is essentially a homemade version with the A side and the B side stuck together (almost seemlessly :D ) and a legitimate UK issue.

Trouty

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

If James Trouble is reading this. Is this the track your mate played in the bar in Chapel Market in Islington?

If so, its a cracking tune, and I would like one too.

link

I believe it could be. :D

Social source share

Only because you've got one Tomo  :D but yes i'd agree with that although the 7 is eminently more usable in tents having said that i personally love the 12" of Flowers - For Real which is essentially a homemade version with the A side and the B side stuck together (almost seemlessly :D ) and a legitimate UK issue.

Trouty

link

La Troutastini,

I've been chasing Flowers for a long time now, do you know where I may find one??

Or Mr Trouble if you know anyone?

Thanks,

Jimbob

Edited by Jamie
Social source share

Guest Awake 502

Mark IV - Signs Of A Dying Love - OTB

Got to have this.

Cash waiting........

Jamie  :wicked:

jamien1@btinternet.com

link

Didn't JM, have one on auction, anyone know what it went for ?

post-1832-1100738299_thumb.jpg

Social source share

• 6 years later...

the 12" of ' Signs of a dying love' has the same mix as the 7 on the A-side with the longer version on the b-side. A lot rarer than the 7. In terms of value the 7 is cheaper as it's more readily available, but to be honest you don;t get much more for your money in terms of a different mix, just an extended one!

Either way, a quality tune and one which will stay in my box for a while (on a 12 biggrin.gif )

Social source share