Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

WoodButcher

New Content

So the New Content feature has been reinstated after all the 'upgrades' and server juggling as promised , but it still takes around 15 seconds to load every time though ... ?

So the New Content feature has been reinstated after all the 'upgrades' and server juggling as promised , but it still takes around 15 seconds to load every time though ... ?

I'd like to say FFS give Mike a break but that might come across as being a little inappropriate to some. 

So, suffice to say, I'm sure Mike is on it.

Peter

:thumbsup:

yep

the adding back was the real test and the verdict from myself is that its flawed

maybe its  the amount of content or the coding is at fault but as you words point out its simply not up to scratch

some parts of it  have improved - the topics call - and so theres hope that they will sort it out in the future 

but its not good enough now so will remove shortly

Edited by mike

I'd like to say FFS give Mike a break but that might come across as being a little inappropriate to some. 

So, suffice to say, I'm sure Mike is on it.

Peter

Well as the question was posted in Site Feedback and clearly for the Admin's attention maybe you ought to butt out and leave it to Mike to answer ... :shades:

yep

the adding back was the real test and the verdict from myself is that its flawed

maybe its  the amount of content or the coding is at fault but as you words point out its simply not up to scratch

some parts of it  have improved - the topics call - and so theres hope that they will sort it out in the future 

but its not good enough now so will remove shortly

Thank you Mike , was unsure whether there was still background work going on or whether it was an issue after the switchover was completed ... :thumbsup:

Can we please have it back, it's driving me up the wall not having it.

Dave

the last time it was used as main feature

it wasn't up to scratch as it was taking too long for results,   each request was taking  20 secs 

am planning to have a deeper look at it during the next week if possible to see if recent upgrades have improved it or if not see if can apply a temp fix

Me too Dave - and everything is sooooooo slow too

Why can't we have the "new content" that goes to topics rather than a facebook style feed of individual posts - aaaaarrrrgggghhhhh! :wink:

the current 'activity stream' links do go to 'topics'  - the bolded text 'posted in a topic' goes to the actual post/comment in the topic while the second link 'the topic title' goes to the first topic title, similar happens for events,gallery etc

I meant the view you get when after going to the activity stream you click on "topics" in the left margin ... but on the first click

ah ok, can see the slowness when using that link

would suggest that just use the main first  list for now

it may have more content that may not be interested in  but may be quicker overall to scan that list than click the other link

will shortly add back the "live feed" which may be quicker 

Thanks Mike

It is also very slow using the "topics" link when you have clicked on a specific topic and then use the back button to return to the list of topics - like it is searching for all the content all over again.

I know you can hover over each topic title and it shows a preview of the content in there, but even that takes a couple of seconds to show and disappear for me.

Thanks

Richard

Thanks Mike

It is also very slow using the "topics" link when you have clicked on a specific topic and then use the back button to return to the list of topics - like it is searching for all the content all over again.

I know you can hover over each topic title and it shows a preview of the content in there, but even that takes a couple of seconds to show and disappear for me.

Thanks

Richard

yep it does reload when you use the back

I'd say the best bet is to avoid using the back button nowadays on all sites 

try opening each new topic in a new tab - either via hitting the link with the mouse wheel or right clicking and choosing 'open in a new tab'

by doing this you can then go back to the list of topics without the reloading by just hitting the tab

can be a lot quicker

Edited by mike

Peter

it should now be showing...

all your  latest 'unread 'content via the top/default link - it used to show 'all' (read and unread) content but for now it has to be 'unread' only

all the other choices forum, events etc should now work ok both read and unread 

mike

Edited by mike

Peter

it should now be showing...

all your  latest 'unread 'content via the top/default link - it used to show 'all' (read and unread) content but for now it has to be 'unread' only

all the other choices forum, events etc should now work ok both read and unread 

mike

Nice one Mike.

Well done.

P

yep its avail via the more menu next to it

if there's a demand for this  (or the similar  'feed')  may be able to look at adding it next to the vnc link ?

I've completely lost my way with the new site, which is why I've not been posting. If I look on All About for instance, it looks like there's only been like four posts in 12 hours.  

the "new content" should work as before Pete and should remember your preferences

apart from the initial page which now shows only "unread" content from every feature (due to performance problems) 

if you hit topics or event comments  you then get a list of read and unread topics/comments

Edited by mike

I'm lost now too. Went for lunch, logged back on and haven't got a clue lol

What's happened to the forum index? You used to be able to collapse it and the birthdays and online list has disappeared. Could well be me, I'm on Samsung galaxy s5 

Edited by jumpinjoan

sounds like maybe you are on on the front page of site rather than the index?

the home link was temp changed  to point to the front rather than the forums but  now reverted 

Ssounds like maybe you are on on the front page of site rather than the index?

the home link was temp changed  to point to the front rather than the forums but  now reverted 

That sounds like it could've been it, link tab said soul (I think) instead of forum, all ok now

Comment now!

Comments are members only

Join Soul Source - Free & easy!

Sign in

Sign in here.

Sign in now!

Adverts