Function At The Junction - Clapham South London

Richard

Does anyone on here remember a night call Function At The Junction that used to be run back in the mid-80's at Clapham Junction? Did anyone on here used to go?

I can remember they were terrific nights but can't for the life of me remember who used to run them.

Any info gratefully received :tumbleweed3:

Social source share

• Replies 29
  • Views 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Does anyone on here remember a night call Function At The Junction that used to be run back in the mid-80's at Clapham Junction? Did anyone on here used to go?

I can remember they were terrific nights but can't for the life of me remember who used to run them.

Hi Richard,

Yes, I used to go on a regular basis, I think I may have even DJ'd there once or twice.

FATJ was run by my good mate Terry Davinson (the original "Terry Davis" of the Whatesheaf and the pre-6Ts Hammersmith soul do's - and Record Corner - fame. Oh yeah, and he's also my daughter's godfather!) and I think that Clarky had some kind of organisational involvement, too. They started out at that banqueting suite opposide the Falcon pub in Clapham Junction, and later moved up Lavender Hill a bit to The Cornet pub (subsequently the comedy club 'Jongleurs')...

...A few good nights were indeed had by all!

TONE :unsure:

Social source share

Went to several in Clapham early 80's, think they may have had something to do with Terry Davis. One of the two Tonys - Ellis / Rounce may remember more.

Gary

Social source share

Hi Richard,

Yes, I used to go on a regular basis, I think I may have even DJ'd there once or twice.

FATJ was run by my good mate Terry Davinson (the original "Terry Davis" of the Whatesheaf and the pre-6Ts Hammersmith soul do's - and Record Corner - fame. Oh yeah, and he's also my daughter's godfather!) and I think that Clarky had some kind of organisational involvement, too. They started out at that banqueting suite opposide the Falcon pub in Clapham Junction, and later moved up Lavender Hill a bit to The Cornet pub (subsequently the comedy club 'Jongleurs')...

TONE :tumbleweed3:

Sorry Tone was typing my reply but your typing is obviously a lot quicker.

best,

Gary

Social source share

Hi Richard,

TONE :tumbleweed3:

Hi Tony

Always good fun. They also did one at the 101 club just up from the pub.

Dave

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Hi Tony

Always good fun. They also did one at the 101 club just up from the pub.

Dave

Hi Dave,

Actually that's not correct. When Ady lost West Hampstead, and before the 100 Club kicked in, I asked him if he fancied trying a do at the 101, where I'd DJ'd a couple of times before, with mod-soul band Small Hours.

It was actually a pukka 6T's do, and - as I recall - a really good one, as the club had a small, square floor that was perfect for the crowd of the time. 6T's may have continued there for a while but for some unfortunate circumstances that I'd rather not discuss here, and the fact that Ady got the 100 Club shortly thereafter...

TONE :rolleyes:

Anyw

Social source share

Hi Dave,

Actually that's not correct. When Ady lost West Hampstead, and before the 100 Club kicked in, I asked him if he fancied trying a do at the 101, where I'd DJ'd a couple of times before, with mod-soul band Small Hours.

It was actually a pukka 6T's do, and - as I recall - a really good one, as the club had a small, square floor that was perfect for the crowd of the time. 6T's may have continued there for a while but for some unfortunate circumstances that I'd rather not discuss here, and the fact that Ady got the 100 Club shortly thereafter...

TONE :rolleyes:

Anyw

Hi Tony

You right, glad your memory is better than mine and your also right, it was a great nite. Even better as we were in walking distance of the great Kebab shop on the hill and Clarkie's flat to kip.

Dave

Social source share

Guest mrs norman maine

They started out at that banqueting suite opposide the Falcon pub in Clapham Junction, and later moved up Lavender Hill a bit to

TONE :(

The Wessex Banqueting Suite!! Lovely venue. They don't seem to make them like that anymore. :lol:

Had some great times there, even the time when I set fire to my coat whilst trying to take it off in order to rush on to the dancefloor (and forgetting that I was also smoking a cig) :rolleyes:

Edited by mrs norman maine
Social source share

So were the FATJ under the 6T's banner as I seem to remember the membership card having the 6T's logo or is my memory just getting bad ???

The Wessex Banqueting Suite!! Lovely venue. They don't seem to make them like that anymore. :D

Had some great times there, even the time when I set fire to my coat whilst trying to take it off in order to rush on to the dancefloor (and forgetting that I was also smoking a cig) blush.gif

:D

Social source share

I remember it well. Good 6Ts night and very popular with northern exiles in London. Have a sad personal memory of Function. I travelled to it from West London one weekend, may even have been doing a guest collector's slot with my mate Ceasar. We got stuck for two hours in the tube system, as a result of the Harrods's bombing. Woke up next day to find out my cousin had been killed in the bomb.

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

So were the FATJ under the 6T's banner as I seem to remember the membership card having the 6T's logo or is my memory just getting bad ???

whistling.gif

Just bad memory, mate - FATJ was nothing at all to do with 6Ts (other than the fact that the events worked from a similar pool of DJs, before the 100 Club went predominantly Northerrn).

Clarkie designed both membership cards, though, if memory serves - and that could be what's addling your grey matter a tad!

TONE :thumbsup:

Social source share

Just bad memory, mate - FATJ was nothing at all to do with 6Ts (other than the fact that the events worked from a similar pool of DJs, before the 100 Club went predominantly Northerrn).

Clarkie designed both membership cards, though, if memory serves - and that could be what's addling your grey matter a tad!

TONE thumbsup.gif

Seem to remember that between West Hampstesd & 100 Club (timewise),there was a couple of nights at The Country Club in Belsize Park-Not sure if they were 6Ts do's or not(?).......Pretty good nights if my memory serves me well.

Social source share

Any info gratefully received :unsure:

Yes I went, but I cant remember what I did yesterday so wouldnt be much help!! :lol:

Seem to remember that between West Hampstesd & 100 Club (timewise),there was a couple of nights at The Country Club in Belsize Park-Not sure if they were 6Ts do's or not(?).......Pretty good nights if my memory serves me well.

Yes I agree, remember some 'pop' group there, dressed like they were on TOTP - sure someone will know who Im talking about!! thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Any info gratefully received thumbsup.gif

Me,but not much :unsure:

Social source share

Guest Caroline Gration

Weren't thosse run by Sensible Soul?

Sensible Soul did 2 up at Belsize Park, but Sue Brick thinks Keb did one earlier around '79/'80. Have you got a lisp?

Social source share

Yes I went, but I cant remember what I did yesterday so wouldnt be much help!! :(

Yes I agree, remember some 'pop' group there, dressed like they were on TOTP - sure someone will know who Im talking about!! :(

Isnt it good, Im replying to me!!! :(

Group - Joe Boxers and Boxer Beat was the song!

Thanks Karen, :lol: Your Welcome Karen :lol:

Social source share

Great nights in Clapham, I use to lug a great big sales box on the No 57 from Gap Rd Wimbledon. I didn't know a soul! but was made very welcome. There was a small half-caste indian lad who introduced me to everyone but I cant remember his name.

Only bad point, some twat nicked the dearest record in the box.....Judy Freeman (RCA) at £16 :yes: one night, still remember them as good nights.

BH

Social source share

Sensible Soul did 2 up at Belsize Park, but Sue Brick thinks Keb did one earlier around '79/'80. Have you got a lisp?

KEB DID DO ONE THERE THEN ME AND MICK SMITH TOOK IT OVER FOR A FEW MONTHS OR MAYBE LONGER OR WE JUST DJ'D THERE FOR A WHILE - TOO LONG AGO CAN'T REMEMBER :fool:

Social source share

I was one of the djs at the Cornet of Horse, the nights were a blast. We hit a bit of a golden period in London soul do's, our bouncers were turning people away, we had the some of the more adventurous punters nipping up the back stairs to bunk in. We had a small showbiz contingent some Joe Boxers, a Style Councillor and Roger Moore (I made that bit up) to name but three. I remember Terry Davis playing some slow records much to some people's disapproval. But sadly the promoters of Jongleurs comedy club came along and we were out......

The other tone (e)

Social source share

KEB DID DO ONE THERE THEN ME AND MICK SMITH TOOK IT OVER FOR A FEW MONTHS OR MAYBE LONGER OR WE JUST DJ'D THERE FOR A WHILE - TOO LONG AGO CAN'T REMEMBER :fool:

Hi Taff i still got some of the flyers for that do in my files,i'll dig 'em out for you.

Country Club ale prices were stupid in them days £1.50 for a bottle of pils :yes: .Do you remember that actress Vicky Hodge & her fella John Binden always posing for the dancers in there wanker.gif .They soon stopped when big Clive had a word :D .

Ah the good old days,i must be getting old :yes:

Social source share

Any info gratefully received :thumbsup:

Richard

I remember going and we reviewed it in Blackbeat at the time. Will try and dig out that review and post it for those that weren't there. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Weren't thosse run by Sensible Soul?

Quite possibly,I remember it must have been 1980 ish

Thanks to all the other posters who replied,I wondered if any one else would remember it.I can't recall the Joe Boxers night but the Vicky Hodge thing rings a bell.

The drinks were expensive.Good job I didn't drink much in those days,I was only on 60 quid a week,at £1.50 a bottle that would have been 25p more than a black & white :D

Social source share

• 14 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert