Big Boy Brown and Ola Mae

no1b4me

Any information on this 45 record..... Big Boy Brown and Ola Mae .....on Ultra Sonic Recording Studios.

Songs are WE HAVE LOVE / TELLING YOU LIKE IT IS.

Ultra Sonic Recording Studios

149 NORTH FRANKLIN STREET

HEMPSTEAD, NEW YORK

record no. IV 5-5066

Edited by no1b4me
Adding record number
Social source share

• Replies 5
  • Views 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Don't know anything about the 45 but here's some info on the studio it was cut at (that I found on the net) ..........

when one thinks of noted recording studios, it's usually in places like Manhattan, LA, San Francisco, New Orleans, Memphis and Muscle Shoals (for R&B) or Nashville. But when I reached my mid-twenties, I learned that some famous recordings (in the 60's and 70's) had been made just five minutes from my family's house on suburban Long Island, New York. And not only had the studio closed by the end of the 70's, but as one self-described 'music-gear-slut' observed: almost nothing about Ultrasonic Studios has been documented. Hence, this profile will be incomplete .... but the joint at least deserves some mention.

Sometime in the 1960's, a fellow named Bill Stahl opened this studio in Hempstead, New York (some twenty miles east of Manhattan and just five minutes away from our home in West Hempstead). In 1965, a young man from Queens made a wrong turn while driving in the area, and saw the sign. Deciding to stop in, he hit it off with Bill Stahl, and thus the career of noted recording engineer (and later producer) Don Casale began .... all due to a wrong turn. The studio has two main claims to fame: some of the albums recorded there, and also live radio show recordings from many star bands.

One example of the former were recordings (in the late 60's) by a band called The Hassles - one of whose members lived only seven miles away. Although he wound up recording most of his solo albums at much larger studios: disagreements with his producer led Billy Joel to finish recording his debut album as well as his 1976 album Turnstiles at Ultrasonic.

The first three albums by Vanilla Fudge - who managed to combine blue-eyed soul, psychedelia and hard rock seamlessly - were produced at Ultrasonic by George 'Shadow' Morton  

Social source share

Thanks a lot very interesting stuff...I found this record at an auction....IM going to pick up a turntable this week and hopefully I can get a good ideal of what type of music it is on the record.

How do I post photo's I will be glad to take a picture of the 45 record and post it here.

Thanks

Social source share

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!