Last night of the Catacombs - Live sounds and interviews

Guest MBarrett

Guest MBarrett

Apologies if this is "old news" but I don't recall seeing these 2 web pages mentioned on Soul Source before.

On the first page are links to an hour of sounds, and interviews with the likes of Max Millward and Graham Warr, all recorded live at the last night of the Catacombs on 13th July 1974.

The Catacombs meant a great deal to me. The 60s was my teenage years and I thought I knew a bit about soul music, including the rarer end of the spectrum. That is until late 1970 when I walked up those hallowed stairs in Temple Street, Wolverhampton. What I heard that night hit me like a hammer blow and I'm not sure I have recovered since. LOL! :D

If you haven't heard these before hope you enjoy. :)

https://p-c-r-l.blogspot.co.uk/2013/03/catacombs-club-tribute.html

https://p-c-r-l.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/Mickey Nold 'Cats Tribute' Page 2

Social source share

Guest Byrney

Same here, one venue I was too young to attend but seems to have been at the cutting edge and doesn't seem to get the plaudits it deserves. 

Social source share

Guest MBarrett

An hour of RAW, HONEST "Northern Soul." Catacombs style!

AN EXPRESS TRAIN WITHOUT BRAKES!!

THE REAL MCCOY!!!

ACCEPT NO IMITATIONS! LOL!!!!

I'm sure IL would see the funny side in the interviews.

Mickey Nold:"Why didn't Ian Levine come down?

Graham Warr: "Because he owes me exactly £2.20 and one copy of Lee Merril on Boom!" :D

41 years ago. But what a buzz!

Social source share

Yes indeed memories came flooding back after listening to the interviews and sound tracks of the night , attended the last Cats night with my late m8 ( Al Jay ) we were both from Kidderminster and Mick Flello from Cookley we used to go the Wolves , did see Mick in London many years back at a Wolves away day, great memories of Cats and West Midland Soul Club days ...  sold a couple tunes to Cats dj Blue Max ( rip) , Great looking back and hearing the last night sounds , Hot and sweat on the walls yes it was a night , small dance floor great atmosphere!!! 

Edited by soulgrooves
Social source share

Brilliant article - memories ay!  Nobody's mentioned the Sunday afternoon sessions have they? In the pubs in Wolvo beforehand, the Cats, then off to the Royal Hotel in Walsall. Remember standing with about 20 others on the fire escape trying to get a breather from the intense heat on the dance floor (stage).

Social source share

Guest MBarrett

Thanks for posting this - I`ve often wondered what the Catacombs was like  :thumbsup:

This graphic has been posted on here before but no harm in repeating it.

All soul music fans should know what was going on down this back street in Wolverhampton. :yes:

Long before Wigan was even dreamed of. :)

https://youtu.be/gBXz6dwsmFo

Edited by MBarrett
Social source share

Guest MBarrett

Don't forget Carl Dene was playing Rare Soul at The Catacombs, The Chateau Impney and Walsall George Hotel and Royal Hotel way before the term Northern Soul was invented.

Those were strange times weren't they. The mainstream music was a mash up of Prog Rock morphing into Glam Rock and heavy/funky soul.

Rare Soul in the late 60sand very early 70s was a sort of hybrid of retro and visionary :)

Those early DJs like Carl should wear a b****y great badge of honour. :yes:

Social source share

Those were strange times weren't they. The mainstream music was a mash up of Prog Rock morphing into Glam Rock and heavy/funky soul.

Rare Soul in the late 60sand very early 70s was a sort of hybrid of retro and visionary :)

Those early DJs like Carl should wear a b****y great badge of honour. :yes:

Carl was playing The Trends "Thanks For A Little Loving" at The Chateau Impney Sunday sessions but it never took off!. And in the early days of "Northern" I could not believe when I found a copy of Earl Jackson "Soul Self Satisfaction" in his record box. He had been playing it for years to no great response and was very hapy to flog it me.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!