Images From A Misspent Youth

Kegsy

Guest johnny hart

Gracias ,kegsy ,you have cleared up one of lifes eternal mysteries. Went to The Birdcage ,always thought it was in Burnley! Now Iknow better,it was Barnsley. Of all the clubs youve listed [and what a "wasted" youth] the Catacombs has to be probably the best musically ,where else could you find such a top class collection of sounds,for me even better than the wheel.I still remember a cold winters night In temple street,crushing Benzedrex inhalers {over the counter in 69, and still legal in the USA,terrible come down!} And downing them with cans of orange juice,opened with those precious metal implements no ring pulls then! Thanks for the memories LOL Johnny

Social source share

Eleven bob to get into an All Dayer, seventeen bob for an imported 7" single.  The £50 prize for best dancer at the Torch was an absolute fortune back then.  Great memorabilia.

They were all pressings unfortunately.

Social source share

Yes '73, not sure if the O'Jays did appear, but then again even if i'd been there I'm not sure I would have remembered much, things just seemed to just zip by in an instant in those days. I could have been jabbering away in a corner and completely missed them !.

Edited by Kegsy
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Gracias ,kegsy ,you have cleared up one of lifes eternal mysteries. Went to The Birdcage ,always thought it was in Burnley! Now Iknow better,it was Barnsley. Of all the clubs youve listed [and what a "wasted" youth] the Catacombs has to be probably the best musically ,where else could you find such a top class collection of sounds,for me even better than the wheel.I still remember a cold winters night In temple street,crushing Benzedrex inhalers {over the counter in 69, and still legal in the USA,terrible come down!} And downing them with cans of orange juice,opened with those precious metal implements no ring pulls then! Thanks for the memories LOL Johnny

No you were right all along. There was indeed a Birdcage in Brierfield which is just outside Burnley. Still running to this day believe it or not, but not sure if it's in the same building or not. :thumbsup:

Social source share

No you were right all along. There was indeed a Birdcage in Brierfield which is just outside Burnley. Still running to this day believe it or not, but not sure if it's in the same building or not. :thumbsup:

I did wonder why me and Swish kept going to a Country and Western do on a Sunday night in Barnsley !!!!!!!!!!!, :D

Edited by Kegsy
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

I remember the Royal Swan well,being a Huddersfielld lad myself, used to have some great nights there,along with my late brother Rob Ward, "Scoffer"(Kevin Haigh)and his wife Karen, Mick Hales,Julie from Luddendenfoot and Novver another friend from Huddersfield.Charlie & Pauline Atkinson and many more. It's such a long time ago that its difficult to remember everyone that used to go.

Wasn't there a club called the Birdcage in Ashton under Lyne where everyone used to go after the Wheel.

Regards Fred Ward 

Social source share

Phil, It was the Birdtrap in Brierfield .(Walter street club) Still going.

Edited by Geoff B
Social source share

Great stuff. A few memories there. The Birdcage was indeed in Barnsley at Hoyland. First time I heard 'Cool Jerk' was at 'bud cage' as it was pronounced locally! 

Also, remember Terry Collins 'I LOVE You'  being played there as a new release a couple of years later. 

Good times!

Sean

Social source share

I remember the Royal Swan well,being a Huddersfielld lad myself, used to have some great nights there,along with my late brother Rob Ward, "Scoffer"(Kevin Haigh)and his wife Karen, Mick Hales,Julie from Luddendenfoot and Novver another friend from Huddersfield.Charlie & Pauline Atkinson and many more. It's such a long time ago that its difficult to remember everyone that used to go.

Wasn't there a club called the Birdcage in Ashton under Lyne where everyone used to go after the Wheel.

Regards Fred Ward 

First place I heard Tobi Legend believe it or not.....

Ian D :)

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!