manusf3a

Red Kits are brilliant

I know they have been here for years now since their reintroduction but living here in Peterborough I haven't seen any of them about however since my Mum took ill just after Christmas I have spent lot of time over at Corby at my Mum and Dad house.Some months ago for the first time I was treated to the site of a full grown Red Kite flying low overhead  when sitting in my Dads garden.I went running into the house jumping up and down saying to him I had just seen the most magnificent huge bird hovering in the thermal before gliding down low over the garden,that was it for me  my,addictive personality type kicked  in yet again,I was hooked on Red Kites,I must see more,whats their history where do they live?.My Dad looked at me as if I was mad,I have had that look directed towards me many times before! "They are all over the place, theyve been here ages," he said,"no big deal!"he added".Well it was and is a big deal for me as Ive spent lots of hours since  when over there kite watching from the garden as a pair  patrol their patch of which the garden is obviously a part ,many times a day.They are great to watch in flight so effortless and able to soar so high very quickly,jut a twist of their long tail feathers enable them to turn but its when they get close  you can really admire them ,kites are stunning looking birds.

It seems Rockingham Forest was a major site where the kites were reintroduced some years back,from the original  thirty birds they have expanded greatly and spread,the skies  of Corby are   home to many of them as is the surrounding countryside especially the land between Corby and Kettering.Looks like the folk of Corby have mostly become used to the kites and take no notice of them!, familiarity eh!.My mate Monny told me a story of how some folk on Lincoln estate  in Corby were frightened and had complained about the kites coming into their back gardens,I laughed as he said how one elderly couple had panicked when first encountering the birds reporting three huge dangerous" Eagles",that they were frightened would attack them in their back garden.I cam empathise with the elderly couple of course but still found it funny as I had a mental picture  of the said couple waking up one morning opening the back door and thinking "Oh no ,quick get the polis theres three big burds like eagles in the girden theyll rip the flesh aff ya(Corby accent),the kites no doubt intent on eating prey no larger than earthworms they might be digging up oblivious to the panic they caused.I like these birds more the more I find out about them ,banished by the church in far off times,givien  a bad name that was unwarranted and culled to near extinction these so called winged minions of satan are back flying under English and Welsh skies the way they were intended,.A major lie that the clergy used to condemn the Kites was that they also as well as being on satans payroll stole young lambs! when really very young baby rabbits are about the Kites limit anyway the Kite is just as happy scavenging,you would of thought having such an affinity with the medieval clergy would have led to better treatment by a class of human scavengers ,but no alas it was not to be so.

This weekend I was over in Corby and was lucky enough to see the male Kite whose manor includes my parents house and garden land on the ground near to my dad's garage,of course I was bursting with excitement and had to tell him! of course I was met with the same look!.Now if I am out with him or sitting in the garden ,my dad not the kite that is,he will say on spotting the kite before me "Theres your mate again Manus! and sure enough he(the kite not the old feller)will come in close  to once more carry out that survey  of the land below following what looks to be a set path each time as I watch his every move with wonder.I wanted to hang some strips of bacon from the clothes line but that didnt go down to well! with Dad and it is his garden.Now my mum is back from hospital but still very ill I am hoping that when she is a bit better she will be able to sit out in the garden and enjoy the Kites and all the rest of  the town wildlife that comes in and out and about  gardens, as she loves animals and wildlife watching. giving name to various visitors to the garden such as wee Robbie(a robin etc)

I say I have never seen any Kites over Peterborough yet however a lad I know from the estate nearby tells me theres a pair fly over what must be their patch of land severel times a day, I think he he is  more than likely right in what he tells me because they have to my knowledge spread as far a Oundle and kings Cliff,s ,Stamford way for Rockingham forest and Corby over the years.I fr one cant wait to ee them become common in the skies over the city whether they cause underpants to stain through being mistaken as eagles or not,long live Red Kites !Masters of the sky they can use thermal(ot the underwear type) in a way that is"Such a wonderful thing NOW!!!!!" to watch.

Edited by manusf3a

Hi Manus, I saw one over the railway station in March (the month, not the town), so they are about, just not in numbers yet, actually it was the morning before Life Line when I left for London to get the train up to Stoke.  There's a lot of them between Stamford and Bourne too. 

We have Black Kites here, as well as vultures and eagles of various types.

Edited by TattooDave
clarification

Hi Dave, I believe the ones that were reintroduced came from Spain, they really have thrived round Corby  seeing bird of prey as big  as the Kites overhead and flying low is so good to see in our skies.Hundreds of years ago they must have been a common site,Theres just something special about watching the way they use the thermals to fly so effortlessly it seems Ive tried to take some photos but so far all Ive mansed to get is tiny views as withing seconds they can go large distances and heights from previously seeming to hover about the top of a house height above.The eagle in Spain must be a real treat to see along with the other large birds.Ive seen a few kites doing the round in the skie over Oundle so as you say they must be here now but in small numbers I am looking forward to seeing them overhead soon.Atb Manus.

Hi Manus/Dave

Reading University reintroduced them in Berkshire a number of years ago as a project. They are now widespread all across the county and you can see loads of them - sometimes counting up to twenty birds at a time. They have become a favourite for people to feed and are quite happy sitting on roofs and fences etc. See the video below - there are quite a few on YouTube- amazing birds.

Hi Manus/Dave

Reading University reintroduced them in Berkshire a number of years ago as a project. They are now widespread all across the county and you can see loads of them - sometimes counting up to twenty birds at a time. They have become a favourite for people to feed and are quite happy sitting on roofs and fences etc. See the video below - there are quite a few on YouTube- amazing birds.

Nice one Pete, I saw a chap on the news that was feeding them chicken on a daily basis and had about 30 that was spiralling above his house, a feeding frenzy that was marvellous to see, that was in Oxford.

Hi Dave, I believe the ones that were reintroduced came from Spain, they really have thrived round Corby  seeing bird of prey as big  as the Kites overhead and flying low is so good to see in our skies.Hundreds of years ago they must have been a common site,Theres just something special about watching the way they use the thermals to fly so effortlessly it seems Ive tried to take some photos but so far all Ive mansed to get is tiny views as withing seconds they can go large distances and heights from previously seeming to hover about the top of a house height above.The eagle in Spain must be a real treat to see along with the other large birds.Ive seen a few kites doing the round in the skie over Oundle so as you say they must be here now but in small numbers I am looking forward to seeing them overhead soon.Atb Manus.

They've always been in Wales, about the only place where they weren't persecuted, but they could well have taken them from Spain.  In Victorian times they were plentiful in the London skies, preferring to eat left overs than hunt.  I'm sure you won't be waiting too long to see them over Peterborough, the many people on the Delaine bus that I was on coming into Peterborough that day didn't notice the kite, probably from complacency, though most were south Lincolnshire folk and it maybe takes a lot to excite them:wicked:

Take care big chap, Dave

Nice one Pete, I saw a chap on the news that was feeding them chicken on a daily basis and had about 30 that was spiralling above his house, a feeding frenzy that was marvellous to see, that was in Oxford.

Yep, they have done really well in that part of the country - Oxford, the Chilterns, Berkshire etc. And I think the recovery is all down to the work of the uni - amazing stuff. When you first see one, then another, then loads it's a real "wow" moment. They're a magnificent animal. 

Have seen one near Louth a couple of years ago whilst coming back through some country lanes as it seemed to swoop down over a cornfield , awesome sight ! Also when the Boss & I went to Wales the other year we stopped on the way back at the famous place where there were loads (can't remember what it's called :g:) and there was a farmer cutting long grass and there must have been 5 or 6 above , look great though don't they ? :thumbsup:

Swifty

p.s. thought the thread was about Footy kits , obviously United's is best :wink:

Edited by SWIFTY

Hi Manus. Red kites are stunning birds. I've seen them around the Leeds area. The outskirts of Chester and all over Wales but never over the skies of Manchester, well not yet anyway. There has been the odd reported sighting here but I've never seen them. They're on my list of need a decent photograph of one. 

Steve

Have seen one near Louth a couple of years ago whilst coming back through some country lanes as it seemed to swoop down over a cornfield , awesome sight ! Also when the Boss & I went to Wales the other year we stopped on the way back at the famous place where there were loads (can't remember what it's called :g:) and there was a farmer cutting long grass and there must have been 5 or 6 above , look great though don't they ? :thumbsup:

Swifty

p.s. thought the thread was about Footy kits , obviously United's is best

Swiftly it's called Gigrin farm red kite feeding station near Rhayader about 15 miles south of Newtown in mid Wales

Steve

Swiftly it's called Gigrin farm red kite feeding station near Rhayader about 15 miles south of Newtown in mid Wales

Steve

Cheers Steve , we were on our way back from Tenby , well worth a look at the Kites if anyone is that way on .

Swifty

I went to Gilgrin Farm last month and there were literally hundreds of red kites being fed. Another feeding place in Wales is Nant yr Arian Forest near Aberystwyth though there are maybe not quite so many there.

Steve , It was beautiful , stayed in this Hotel up the hill from the beach , which had some very dodgy steps down a muddy hill to the beach , problem was mate it pissed it down most of the time :lol:

Swifty

Steve , It was beautiful , stayed in this Hotel up the hill from the beach , which had some very dodgy steps down a muddy hill to the beach , problem was mate it pissed it down most of the time :lol:

Swifty. I was there in June rained the first two days then fab weather for the next twelve. Going back the first week in October. Can't wait,hopefully get some pictures of the milky way. 

Steve

You were probably pissed all of the time so I suspect you didn't really care! :wicked:

Pete. Your not casting aspersions about swifty, surely not :ohmy:

Steve

Have a great time Steve :thumbsup: and I'll just ignore Nicey's comments :lol:

I rest my case! Steve has already had a great time - he was back off his holiday weeks ago!

LOL :lol:

Doh !!!!!! bedtime me thinks , thanks for correcting me Pedro :wicked: , must get to specsavers :yes: again !

x

Swifty :thumbsup:

So as not to really rub it in, it was 36C today and the sea a cosy 26C, no rain in this part of the country, and no sign of Red Kites, though I did see fulmar, swift, Sardinian warbler and lots of parakeets.

Doh !!!!!! bedtime me thinks , thanks for correcting me Pedro :wicked: , must get to specsavers :yes: again !

x

Swifty :thumbsup:

God bless you and yours my friend.

Night, night.

Pedro

Swifty

p.s. thought the thread was about Footy kits , obviously United's is best :wink:

Now that was just my eyesight mate! bought time I visited specsavers again! like you say they the Kites! look great I was hooked the first time I saw one! you can spot them in the air when they are really high up soaring in circle using the thermals   but when they come close up they are magnificent birdsLike Pete and others mention they are doing so well that  round northants especially Corby because of the proximity to Rockingham forest which was one of the first reintroduction sites and where they have done fantasticaly well in terms of numbers many having been taken and introduced into other areas of the country,on the roads out of town in nearby countryside,there too  when you see one then often you can see crowds of them over fields and in the air.Coming back home on the bus from Mum and Dads last few months I have nearly always spotted them in the air(just one or two in these instances soaring over the town of Oundle as we approach so I feel happy to know they are making there way to Peterborough sometime soon for what will be the delight of many folk.

Steve

Theres a video somewhere of this feeding going on it may require google to find it though could be on you tube as there are a number of Kite Videos on there.

Edited by manusf3a

there are literally hundreds of them by us, they are very well established in the Chilterns..  I met a chap that kept birds of pray last year, and he likened them to scavengers, he really didn't like them at all...  a bird snob.... personally I love them, but you should not feed them, a friend of ours does on the top of the highest hill here, Coombe hill... its quite a sight, but it really pisses people off, even got a mention in the local rag as something the local villagers should not do...

Comment now!

Comments are members only

Join Soul Source - Free & easy!

Sign in

Sign in here.

Sign in now!

Related Soul Music Links

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.