• 5 weeks later...
  • Replies 5
  • Views 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Hi Heikki

Nice work sir. The Rueben James Richards album has been playing here all day and is a marvellous retro soul outing. It,s not his debut album. He had one out on Orbitone in the late 80s. He was known as Rueben Richards in those days. There,s also a four track CD from about ten years ago.

Edited by Stormcock
Added more information
Social source share

Hi Stormcock!

It really is a great album.

Thank you for this information.  I specially asked Reuben about his previous recordings and it seems that he wasn't very truthful.

I tried to conduct this interview over the phone - not just by emails - but somehow I got the feeling that the record company blocked it.

We'll correct it soon, and I'll also inform the record company, because I hate this kind of behaviour.

Best regards

Heikki

Social source share

Hi Heikki

I've sent Sirshambling a brief review on Richards for his website . As you say it's a great album and his vocals are excellent. 'Hold On My Heart' remains wonderful.

His first album on a small London label Orbitone was 'From My Heart' from 1987. It's a pleasant enough mix of low key soul and lovers-rock. He wrote most of the songs with Felix Da Silva. One 45 was released 'I'll Chose You'. There's never been a demand for it but it's actually quite good 

In 1992 he reached the final of a talent show called 'Stars in your eyes' and as a consequence he released a four track EP called 'Against the Odds' with The Odyssey Blues & Soul band. It contains covers of well known classics that included '634-5789' and 'Let the good times roll'. It's enjoyable and the kind of stuff you'd enjoy in a good music pub with a few jars.

No idea why he would be vague about his previous cuts. He's hardly likely to still be under contract to anyone

Social source share

Hi Stormcock!

Thank you for all this info.  This is very appreciated.

I made an addition to our website, where you can read it, but - as I told you - I was most probably blocked from the direct telephone interview with the artist. 

By doing this journalist thing as a hobby since the early 70s (and having also a national soul broadcast show), there are certain things I hate: arrogant PR persons.

Best regards

Heikki

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!