Is Pitching Up Acceptable?

Ive got acopy of Lorraine Johnson - Can I hold you to it on Atlantic

Its more of a ballad but if you pitch it up to +4 on the decks its about the same speed as the Panic is on

Is this acceptable to play in your set.

I think it actually makes it sound better but would like to hear peoples opinion and other records that pitched up are quite useful for djing!

Cheers

Edited by Ernie Andrews
Social source share

• Replies 84
  • Views 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Its more of a ballad but if you pitch it up to +4 on the decks its about the same speed as the Panic is on

I think it actually makes it sound better but would like to hear peoples opinion and other records that pitched up are quite useful for djing!

Cheers

Went on after Sam once at Albrighton and both decks were +3

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

Pitch Control = A device for making a silk purse out of a Pigs Earhole :rolleyes:

there speaks a popcorn dj lol ....perfectly acceptable behaviour

Social source share

Yup! pitching up is perfectly acceptable I say - there's loads of tunes that need just a little +2 or a +4 to make them better for the dancefloor.... I always put +4 on Marva Josie " Now is the Time to Love me" for example...

Strangest one is Jamo Thomas "Must I Holler". Ady put it out on the "Chess Club Rhythm & Soul" compilation, and it's a great tune. Got the 45 & it's a completely different version than the one on the cd...... Muuuucchh Ssssllloowweerr....

But if you crank the decks up to +8 you get it pretty much at the same speed as the cd cut.... and the vocals don't seem to sound any different cos he sings in falsetto anyway!

:rolleyes:

Social source share

Can't fault you!

Especially if you get to play such sublime tracks as Lorraine Johnson as a result! (even though I did play it out years ago as a straight 45 rpm).

Nowadays, almost every 45 in my playbox has a + 2 or 3 or a - 2 or 3 against it (marked on the sleeve).

Bummer though when you get to a gig with Prehistoric decks and you've got to play 'em straight!

Steve Plumb raised this question a couple of months ago on here. Most replies were pretty positive as I recall.

I've had scores of records through my hands over the years that only needed a bit of a tweak to make them playable.

And yes... as a fellow poster mentioned earlier... every time I've followed Soul Sam on the decks he's pitched up +3 or more.

Fellas, we've got the technology (much like CD capability... though that's a whole different subject) so IMO we should most definately use it.

Sean

Social source share

ORIGINAL..surely the sound is just as important as the label,i fully understand why dj's pitch up/down but for me it just kills its originality.I just wouldnt play a tune that needed altering,fair enough if your a rave dj mixing etc but surely our soul scene is all about being ORIGINAL :rolleyes:

Shut it Hackett! :sleep3:

Can't understand why anyone would pitch anything down tho :rolleyes: ... have to agree there!

Social source share

Ever got back to somebodies place after a nighter with your latest purchases, you whack 'em on and somebody'll say " that sounds slow are you sure it's a real one?" :rolleyes:

Social source share

ORIGINAL..surely the sound is just as important as the label,i fully understand why dj's pitch up/down but for me it just kills its originality.I just wouldnt play a tune that needed altering,fair enough if your a rave dj mixing etc but surely our soul scene is all about being ORIGINAL :rolleyes:

I agree. I wouldn't presume to think I knew better than the people who made the records. It's messing with the original vision of the artist. It seems like sacrilege, just for the benefit of making it have the 'required beat' for the dancefloor.

But, hey, they're your records, so do what you see fit with them.

Social source share

Cheers

Now then ,pitching up,I am very much against it ,I want hear the tune at the speed it was intended.and not at the speed some clever arsed Dj thinks in his opinion the tune should sound,of course he knows better than the original Artist/producers,(no he does not )in my opinion it stinks, you know it all DJs should leave the thing as it was intended,I do feel strongly about this and I could say a lot more ,but I wont

another rant over :rolleyes:

Bazza

Social source share

Its more of a ballad but if you pitch it up to +4 on the decks its

Cheers

So basically you bought a record that didnt sound good until you revised it!! :rolleyes:

Why dont you but a program where you can then record it onto cd and change vocals add a few strings etc then recut it back onto Vinyl, perfect solution. :rolleyes:

In case my intended humour doesnt come through on this and you cant guess the answer is no in my book, just buy records you think are perfect!!

Jock

Social source share

Kind of understand Nick, But it doesnt really differ from ajusting the bass or treb though does it?

Good shout Mark!

To the non believers ..... I say Arse.gif:rolleyes:

Edited by Rowly
Social source share

Guest Andy BB

You say "URL Javascript" do you Rowly?

How rude!

(Serves you right you computer nerd)

Ha Ha!

On the topic of pitching up or down. I say go for it by 1 or 2 to match the night/set/,mood/sound but surely if it goes much beyond that it's a completely different sound?

(I must add though whenever I comment on things like this even I look at the post and think "what the f*ck does he know!" ... and I am me).

Edited by Andy BB
Social source share

Good shout Mark!

To the non believers ..... I say Arse.gif :rolleyes:

Thank god the weekends coming- Cheers for the comments Guys.

I bought the lorraine johnson blind and I thought It wasnt abad record but when I pitched it up I thought it was pretty good actually.

Just wanted to see peoples reaction- Dont hink Ill lay it out at pitch 4 then- Just listen to it at home!

Evryone have agood weekend - Im off to celebrate an old soulies 40th birthday.

Just one thing on pitch- I think the Jocks & Irish did better on the pitch than the English this week! ha Ha

Social source share

Is it acceptable? Acceptable to whom you should ask. Personally I always play my records at the intended speed, as I only listen to soul music at home. I have a Garrard that usually means adjusting the speed slightly until the thing has warmed up.

One of the reasons I only ever listen to soul music at home is because of such ridiculous notions of etiquette. For example, if I did feel like going to a disco I would expect to hear good music and have fun, and that is about as much analysis as I would want to offer on the subject before getting bored! Each to their own though - perhaps you should rap over it as well?

Social source share

You say "URL Javascript" do you Rowly?

How rude!

(Serves you right you computer nerd)

Ha Ha!

On the topic of pitching up or down. I say go for it by 1 or 2 to match the night/set/,mood/sound but surely if it goes much beyond that it's a completely different sound?

(I must add though whenever I comment on things like this even I look at the post and think "what the f*ck does he know!" ... and I am me).

Like you, I'm sure i don't know what you're on about mate.... :rolleyes:

Edited by Rowly
Social source share

Just wanted to see peoples reaction- Dont think Ill play it out at pitch 4 then- Just listen to it at home!

A nice Finale... but if I were you I would play it at Home... and Away!

(footie related joke)

Never had anyone object to tweaked / pitched tracks I've played in my my sets. In my experience, the dancefloor is what DJ's should be most interested in and if a good tune gets excluded for the sake of a few RPM's that's just a crying shame.

Right then, I'm off to delight the dancefloor at The Red Lion - Sheffield - this evening...

...and I'll be tweaking all night long!

Just try stopping me!

Have a good weekend!

Sean

Social source share

Good question

This record I bought because I loved it as soon as I heard It. but that would have been true with the version kept at 45 R.P.M.

Here is the BOOT COPY covered as Moses Smith @ 48 R.P.M. ...........

SandbagS-101-bt.jpg

BOOT COPY

Since then I have to ask myself, should they really have gone to the trouble as the Original cannot be improved upon

SandbagS-101-DJ.jpgSandbagS-101.jpg

It just puzzles me, regarding this record, but I suppose it's all down to personal taste to a degree, as is Bass, Treble etc

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

:lol: most definately agree Nick.... hear it how it was made and meant to be heard :rolleyes: ....

NO PITCHIN ..UP OR DOWN.. KEEP IT ORIGINAL.

Errr.... said even more elequently than above :sleep3: ....

Social source share

Thank god the weekends coming- Cheers for the comments Guys.

I bought the lorraine johnson blind and I thought It wasnt abad record but when I pitched it up I thought it was pretty good actually.

Just wanted to see peoples reaction- Dont hink Ill lay it out at pitch 4 then- Just listen to it at home!

I Think thats a great shame....Perhaps the original arranger had sugested that they do it again...only this time a little faster....Then.........someome shouted...."leave it as it is"

I guess we'll never know :lol:

Evryone have agood weekend - Im off to celebrate an old soulies 40th birthday.

Just one thing on pitch- I think the Jocks & Irish did better on the pitch than the English this week! ha Ha

Social source share

ORIGINAL..surely the sound is just as important as the label,i fully understand why dj's pitch up/down but for me it just kills its originality.I just wouldnt play a tune that needed altering,fair enough if your a rave dj mixing etc but surely our soul scene is all about being ORIGINAL :lol:

Nick, you young fogey! :P

When you're out and you hear a great record for the first time, how do you know it's not pitched up... and better for it? :lol:

Social source share

sorry read that as

Some records sound better with different speed :lol:

last time I slowed Jackie Wilson/Linda Hopkins- "say I do" down -2, i forgot to change it back my whole set was slow on one deck till the end :lol: .

shock1.gif I don't do that!

Social source share

I know, I never read it right my brain read what it wanted..... think that happens a lot on soul source :P

I know... I still don't do it though :lol: I did a midnight runner once :lol: Slept like a baby as usual :P

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

THIS MESSAGE WAS PITCHED UP AT ROWLY. SEE YOU TONIGHT CHALKY whistling.gif

Nick (and t'others).....unless you hear the studio tapes, you won't know that what you're listening to on the finished vinyl was what speed the original cut was mastered at....not wanting to sound like a smart arse or nowt, but compiling the Soul Satisfaction series, I get to hear the CD-Ref before the actual CD gets mastered. The ref CD allows you to hear the ORIGINAL masters that the vinyl versions was cut from....and not all of the tracks are at the speed that you, the listener, get to hear them on the final cut. So if pitching was good enough for them...

One record most of you know - 'Night Train'....recorded at a slower speed but speeded up and released as we hear it...Ady put it on his 6Ts or Sue compilation explaining that he issued the track at the speed at which we know it and NOT the speed of the original master....as we'd all say it wasn't the right version :D

But pitching original 45s...those naughty Technics people have put temptation at my fingertips :D I may nudge +1/+2. Jo

Social source share

Nick (and t'others).....unless you hear the studio tapes, you won't know that what you're listening to on the finished vinyl was what speed the original cut was mastered at....not wanting to sound like a smart arse or nowt, but compiling the Soul Satisfaction series, I get to hear the CD-Ref before the actual CD gets mastered. The ref CD allows you to hear the ORIGINAL masters that the vinyl versions was cut from....and not all of the tracks are at the speed that you, the listener, get to hear them on the final cut. So if pitching was good enough for them...

One record most of you know - 'Night Train'....recorded at a slower speed but speeded up and released as we hear it...Ady put it on his 6Ts or Sue compilation explaining that he issued the track at the speed at which we know it and NOT the speed of the original master....as we'd all say it wasn't the right version :D

But pitching original 45s...those naughty Technics people have put temptation at my fingertips whistling.gif I may nudge +1/+2. Jo

So nur nur ne nur nur yaboo sucks to you Nicky nocky noo! :D:D

Social source share

I think everyone should play 45's at 33 :D

Pitching is good by me, up or down

Personally I only play original records but to say it isnt original because you pitch it a little is taking it a bit far. Surely the only original recording is the master tape and vinyl records are a reproduction of that if you want to be really picky

Now where is that reel to reel whistling.gif

You type too fast Miss Wallace

Edited by richard
Social source share

Point taken,ill get my coat. whistling.gif ..ps...Rowly you could always just leave the chosen finished,original cut that was finally put onto the sacrid original disc alone,allowing the pitchin to be performed by the original studio experts..if you need to pitch so bad try a tent :D

There's no need to call me camp! :angry: :D

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!