Is Pitching Up Acceptable?

Guest vinylvixen

Jo....leave em alone an dont be naughty :D

Bazza

Ah Bazza, the voices in my head said I had to play with the pitch controls whistling.gif Jo

Edited by vinylvixen
Social source share

• Replies 84
  • Views 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest vinylvixen

Pitch Control = A device for making a silk purse out of a Pigs Earhole :D

Looking forward to your set at Hard As Nails, Linda :D ....I'm sure Andy Brazil will remove the offending devices from the decks before you go on....and to prevent any slight of hand from any of the other djs....as if they would :D

The worst case of 'pitching' was on the Springfield Rifles....I went on the decks after a certain Mr X and didn't realise he'd whacked it up by +8....Kim Weston sounded like she was on helium :D Glad to see a nasty rash of Randy Hobbs....You can never have too much Waitin' and Watchin'.... whistling.gif Jo

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

well last night i played hannah dean "itty bitty love " at -8 and it sounds bloody marvellous ....

also christine quaite "in the middle of the floor" at full speed is crap ...at -6 sounds like big maybelle which can only be a good thing

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

I bought Pete Mayes - Peace - Ovid not realising it had been pitched up slightly when i'd heard it (this is a few years ago) and when i play it at home it just aint the same whistling.gif . Isn't there a case for telling people it's pitched up in case they want to get a copy and are then disappointed it's not what they thought?

Mind you i suppose not playing with the same amount of Bass, Treble also made a difference and not having access to the Top of the World and it's sound system etc...

M.

Social source share

I bought Pete Mayes - Peace - Ovid not realising it had been pitched up slightly when i'd heard it (this is a few years ago) and when i play it at home it just aint the same whistling.gif . Isn't there a case for telling people it's pitched up in case they want to get a copy and are then disappointed it's not what they thought?

Mind you i suppose not playing with the same amount of Bass, Treble also made a difference and not having access to the Top of the World and it's sound system etc...

M.

At the lifeline weekender last year Tim Brown announced he'd pitched down by 2 the C.O.D.'s 'She's Fire' was still too fast IMO.

Social source share

Looking forward to your set at Hard As Nails, Linda :yes: ....I'm sure Andy Brazil will remove the offending devices from the decks before you go on....and to prevent any slight of hand from any of the other djs....as if they would :D

The worst case of 'pitching' was on the Springfield Rifles....I went on the decks after a certain Mr X and didn't realise he'd whacked it up by +8....Kim Weston sounded like she was on helium :D Glad to see a nasty rash of Randy Hobbs....You can never have too much Waitin' and Watchin'.... :elvis: Jo

Not sayin' I use the pitch control a lot Jo,,,,,,,but If he removed them, He may as well remove me too.. :thumbsup: So he'd better keep his hands off :shades:

Randy Hobbs.......Yummy...think I'll have another listen,,,and another

Joking apart....I can't wait for 'Hard as Nail 'either........Come say Hi. and we'll have natter about soft furnishings,,NOT :D:D

Social source share

well last night i played hannah dean "itty bitty love " at -8 and it sounds bloody marvellous ....

also christine quaite "in the middle of the floor" at full speed is crap ...at -6 sounds like big maybelle which can only be a good thing

Nowt wrong with making something good....better. or turning awful into awesome !!!!!!!!!!

Social source share

Matt

Will a record ever sound the same at home as at a do. Big system, atmosphere, dancing etc ?

No....IMO There will always be records that sound medeochre at home...but stunning when played out

Social source share

Guest martinsbox

Nowt wrong with making something good....better. or turning awful into awesome !!!!!!!!!!

Wasn't "Peace pipe" by Pal & The Prophets pitched down slightly years ago when it was played to make it, not so much better on the ear, but better on the feet as it was a 200mph stomper?

Martin :thumbsup:

p.s. Linda, Demons looks good eh!

Edited by martinsbox
Social source share

Wasn't "Peace pipe" by Pal & The Prophets pitched down slightly years ago when it was played to make it, not so much better on the ear, but better on the feet as it was a 200mph stomper?

Martin :shades:

I Love it with a passion :thumbsup:

Social source share

Awesome choon that needs bringing back to front of the playbox me thinks. :shades:

Needs taking from Teds paybox....and putting into mine....will happen to mention it to him one night when he's after a bit of the other :thumbsup:

Social source share

Shut it Hackett! :elvis:

Can't understand why anyone would pitch anything down tho :thumbsup: ... have to agree there!

Not so sure about that Rowly, a good example is "Jimmy McGriff - All About My Girl"

Play it at about -5/-6 pitch & it becomes almost a carbon of "Tune Up" give it a try :shades:

Social source share

Jimmy Dobbins - Little miss perfect, sounds ace at -8, you try keeping up with that one at normal speed :thumbsup:

Similar thing with the "Jimmy McGriff" tune Baz, just too fast to dance to in it's original format.

I'll see if i can sort out a sound file.

But meanwhile here's a speed up that will probably really upset the purists ! but then i'm never gonna' be mr popular anyway i guess :shades:

I did this sometime back. Always loved "Fred Hughes - Oo we baby i love you" nice atmospheric tune but a real bugger to dance to !

Anyway, just playing around with the pitch one day & thought at +7 it makes it a real nice dancer ! See what you think ?

Social source share

Not so sure about that Rowly, a good example is "Jimmy McGriff - All About My Girl"

Play it at about -5/-6 pitch & it becomes almost a carbon of "Tune Up" give it a try :shades:

Similar thing with the "Jimmy McGriff" tune Baz, just too fast to dance to in it's original format.

I'll see if i can sort out a sound file.

Can't say I've ever been unable to dance to All About My Girl at the correct speed.... :thumbsup:

And why not just play Tune Up if you wanna hear it?! 'T'aint a hard one to get is it?! :elvis:

But seriously I do get your point.....

Social source share

Always loved "Fred Hughes - Oo we baby i love you" nice atmospheric tune but a real bugger to dance to !

Anyway, just playing around with the pitch one day & thought at +7 it makes it a real nice dancer ! See what you think ?

Hmmm... Changes the vocals too much to be able to get away with that one imo..... sounds like he's been kicked in the nuts! :shades:

Have you heard the version he released on Brunswick?? - think it's from around 68 - 69.... a right uptempo funky version.... still needs tweaking by about +2 / +4 tho! :thumbsup:

Edited by Rowly
Social source share

Hmmm... Changes the vocals too much to be able to get away with that one imo..... sounds like he's been kicked in the nuts! :elvis:

Have you heard the version he released on Brunswick?? - think it's from around 68 - 69.... a right uptempo funky version.... still needs tweaking by about +2 / +4 tho! :thumbsup:

No can't say i have heard that one Rowly.

Probably wrong phrase when i said Jimmy McGriff was "carbon" of Tune up. Meant very similar , as in sound & tempo.

I've put up a snipit of both tempos see what you think.

Hey if you don't find the first tempo a problem, you must be one hell of a dancer :shades:

Tune up tempo is hard enough :D

Possibly right about Fred Hughes, it was some time back when i done that, & whilst i was sorting out the Jimmy McGriff bits, i tried it on the deck & thought +5 was better. Might go back & change it.

Social source share

I've put up a snipit of both tempos see what you think.

Possibly right about Fred Hughes, it was some time back when i done that, & whilst i was sorting out the Jimmy McGriff bits, i tried it on the deck & thought +5 was better. Might go back & change it.

Nah - the proper speed version of McGriff is far better IMO .....

Heres the Brunswick version of Fred Hughes - see what you think.

Social source share

I've only ever heard it fast Linda - which one is the "proper" speed?

Fast....Is the original.....I just love it slowed tho...I guess Its coz thats the way I first heard it long long ago :thumbsup:

Social source share

So basically you bought a record that didnt sound good until you revised it!! thumbsup.gif

Why dont you but a program where you can then record it onto cd and change vocals add a few strings etc then recut it back onto Vinyl, perfect solution. :thumbsup:

In case my intended humour doesnt come through on this and you cant guess the answer is no in my book, just buy records you think are perfect!!

Jock

a record can be perfect, but not perfect to dance to. A few bpm can be the difference between easy to dance to and hard to dance to.

The instruments and vocal being a tone up is not a massive insult to the original work and doesn't detract from the quality of it.

Pick any track you like, if there was a version that was a tone or two higher and a bit faster or slower, would you hate it so? you wouldn't even notice if you heard a track for the first time speeded up, so you can't really argue that it ruins anything musically.

If it means a great track is easier to dance to then I think it should be done.

Social source share

As with all things, there is wear and tear and this does apply to record decks and if you haven't changed your belts lately then this is why you might find the pitched up a little after you follow someone.

Quartz lock & strobe

The Quartz Lock button essentially turns off the pitch fader. The point of it is so that you can return record playback speed (and therefore the tempo and musical key of a record) to its original setting with a single action. The Strobe Light is there to tell you whether the platter is actually spinning at the correct speed. If you set the platter running and look into the light at the dots, if the platter is spinning at either of the default speeds (or Quartz Locked) then one of the dots will appear to be stationary. If the platter is not spinning at a default speed then you will see a dot appear to move in one direction or other. Dots travelling clockwise indicate that the platter is running fast, dots travelling anti-clockwise indicate a platter that's running slow.

The main advantage of this to a DJ is that it demonstrates whether a particular turntable consistently runs fast or slow. It can be tempting to rely on learning how far to move the pitch fader on your own set of decks, but if you do this and your own decks run true and those in a venue don't you need to know about it.

Social source share

I think the pitch control is there to be used much like the volume, bass, mid, treble and gain controls. If you can tweak it to sound that little bit better then why not

completely agree richard ........ but those other things you mention there might be a bit of a mystery to some DJ's. the amount of DJ's I've seen who don't seem to know what the gain is for!

Social source share

completely agree richard ........ but those other things you mention there might be a bit of a mystery to some DJ's. the amount of DJ's I've seen who don't seem to know what the gain is for!

Suprised in this day & age that no-one has brought out a mixer with auto gain control (well don't think anyone has).

It's available in telephone systems so i wouldn't have thought the technology would be that difficult.

Going off track slightly, I wish they would come up with a version in televisions too !

That would stop these bloody advertising aganceys cranking up the volume !! I don't know about you, but it really anoyes me & makes me feel less inclined to buy their products !

Social source share

Aparently you can get mixers with auto gain.

Rane do one, the "Rane Empath" , only trouble is, it comes in at £765, phewww

One for the pro's i think.

P.s.

I know the Television coment dosen't really come into the use of the gain switch, but does anyone know how they increase the volume on the adverts ? Is it a different type of signal ? There dosen't seem to be mutch fluctuation across different programs, so i would have thought if it was just a tweak of the recording levels, other programs would possibly be using it ? Anyone in the tele industry out there ?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!