Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

barney

TOUR DE FRANCE ,SHAME

Chris Froome doing well in the tour ,can win this ,

shame on those spectators spitting ,obstructing ,shouting abuse and throwing bags of urine at him .

it could only happen in France , perdifious illegitimates .

Not cycling fan, but who takes a bag of urine with them to a sports event, 

France doesn't like professional, studied, data analysing, shaving 1/2 second here and a 1/2 second there serial winners. The much prefer cavalier, out of the blue romantic ones. It's scandalous what Froome has to put up with, I just hope he makes it tomorrow.

What would happen if a so called spectator manages to cause Chris Froome to slow down or stop.would the organizers take that into account regarding his time. Be interesting.

Steve

Edited by Winsford Soul

What would happen if a so called spectator manages to cause Chris Froome to slow down or stop.would the organizers take that into account regarding his time. Be interesting.

Steve

Unfortunately there's a history of French "fans" trying physically hinder "foreign" riders, Eddy Merckx had to put up with it for almost 8 years, thing is it's considered OK to do it "fair play" isn't in the French vocabulary. We wish him well today, just keep that lead and it's in the bag, don't think I'll have the stomach to watch the whole race but will see the last 15 minutes for sure. To answer your question "no" but you could expect the riders themselves to stop the race and re-start it's not unknown.

Edited by Chris L

have always been a fan of this the toughest and most gruelling of races and apparently the tour has the largest spectator turnout out for any single event world wide .

the sport has always been controversial and has a long history of doping and the use of illegal performance enhancing drugs and treatments is well known and documented , but froome has been subject to a strict regime of testing and been found clean ,so why don't the other teams .riders and the organisers come out in his support and condemn these moronic so called fans  .

Chris Froome doing well in the tour ,can win this ,

shame on those spectators spitting ,obstructing ,shouting abuse and throwing bags of urine at him .

it could only happen in France , perdifious illegitimates .

they want making an example of & locking up in La Sante prison , in A cell with A 25 stone homo sexual who won't let him spit !!!

I'm a fan of the Tour and cycling in general and have watched every one for over 30 years. In my opinion this year's is one of the best of recent times. Plenty of excitement and incidents from the outset and that looks set to continue for the last two days. I've read the comments on this thread and its clear some people are confused.

The controversy around Froome and Team Sky at this years TDF began in earnest   after Stage 10 after Froome's amazing climb to La PierreSt-martin. Such was the manner of his dominant performance that it immediately raised suspicions.

I will sidetrack for moment to answer one point already made on this topic  about Froome being "clean". If I was asked to place a bet on whether I thought he was or nor I would keep my money in my pocket. That would go for any other rider on the Tour as well. I simply don't know. However, to say he's been tested therefore he's clean is ridiculous. Lance Armstrong was tested "clean" for years. All the people who are now accusing Froome of doping know full well he's been tested clean. So I don't know. If I was asked to go one way or the other I'd err on the side that he is clean (for what that's worth).

Back to Stage 10. On a French TV programme a Sports physiologist, Pierres Sallet, claimed that the data he had showed that Froomes  wattage (power output) on the climb must have been over 7 watts per kilo. Without getting in to the science too much anything over 7 watts is considered impossible without. doping. Brailsford (head of Team Sky was sitting next to him and disputed his findings, claiming (quite rightly that they were only his own estimates since he didn't have Froomes personal data. This is true and casts doubt on what Sallet was claiming.

But here is the important part. Brailsford was asked what Froome's weight was on the day and claimed he didn't know. This is absolutely ludicrous and looks to anyone in the know like deliberate evasion. Although this may seem like a trivial point its vital since without Froome's weight his power output can't be calculated. It's completely absurd for Brailsford to claim he doesn't know.

So there was a situation watched by millions  where Sallet,was  talking with authority but with incorrect figures  sitting next to Braislford who looked like he was hiding something. The French media went to town on it. Basically Brailsford was made to look shady while Sallet looked like an expert. In my opinion Sallet's figure was wrong and since then  an Austrian team have estimated Froome's wattage to be 6 point something watts which isn't that suspicious. Impressive but now unattainable if clean.

This is where the doping allegation largely come from. It's all a question of what was deemed legally possible on day 10 - the hard climb where Froome destroyed his opposition. Brailsford claim that he didn't know Froomes weight is ridiculous but is part of TS's  general secrecy regarding personal data.

So who is to blame? Everyone really given the history of the sport and the  level of scrutiny and suspicion that exist. some French media have gione for the jugular. Team Sky by their own inaction have allowed this suspicion  to gain ground. One thing is certain and which many people, tend to forget. There will be cycling fans  everywhere, including some at the roadside who will be 100% certain that Froome is cheating. No ifs, buts or maybes.. This isn't to condone or explain the actions of a handful of the millions upon millions that line the roadside., but it's a reality.

As for the rest of the stuff on this thread about the French people, riders being stopped , Eddie Merckx it's all pretty laughable. No rider in the Tour has ever been stopped by a spectator. The most famous infringement in modern times was when Merckx was punched by a spectator in 1975. Since then a few riders have claimed to have been worried about  such possible incidents (eg Lemond and Armstrong) but their fears proved unfounded. So back to the real world from Planet Lala.:)

As for the rest of the stuff on this thread about the French people, riders being stopped , Eddie Merckx it's all pretty laughable. No rider in the Tour has ever been stopped by a spectator. The most famous infringement in modern times was when Merckx was punched by a spectator in 1975. Since then a few riders have claimed to have been worried about  such possible incidents (eg Lemond and Armstrong) but their fears proved unfounded. So back to the real world from Planet Lala.:)

BTW it's Eddy Merckx, sabotage during his TdFr and others are is well documented over here, including being punched, the laying of tacks and a wooden branch being thrown between his spokes. The French do not like serial winners. Team Sky will never be able to prove its innocence however when the Times journalist David Walsh investigated the Lance Armstrong investigations he found several ex team members telling him that Armstrong was using dope, no one in or ex Sky is doing that. You have to remember the allegations are coming from a French standpoint, not the US, Japan or Germany, a tad biased maybe ?  Frek me, Contador's riding, a "convicted" doper, nobody seems to be interested there. Anyway no matter what, Froome does not deserve to get gobbed at plus that idiot who raised his arm & fist just as Froome was inches from him. We wish him well today and look forward to a 3rd Tour win for a Brit.

Edited by Chris L

France doesn't like professional, studied, data analysing, shaving 1/2 second here and a 1/2 second there serial winners.

France doesn't like cheating/dishonest winners, simple as that.

BUT I don't want to say that Froome is cheating, that's just the media who insinuated this, as you can read in Maslar's intelligent post above.

So Frenchmen act so stupidly against Froome because of that. Of course, if he was French everything would be fast forgotten and forgiven But Froome is English and he is the enemy.

Personnally I've never been interested in TdF, however I wish him good luck.

Don't think the French can be 2 choosy ! Google the French the C word allways crops up !! Big thumbs up 2 geraint Thomas done the Welsh A world of good !!

Edited by hornet

I'm a fan of the Tour and cycling in general and have watched every one for over 30 years. In my opinion this year's is one of the best of recent times. Plenty of excitement and incidents from the outset and that looks set to continue for the last two days. I've read the comments on this thread and its clear some people are confused.

The controversy around Froome and Team Sky at this years TDF began in earnest   after Stage 10 after Froome's amazing climb to La PierreSt-martin. Such was the manner of his dominant performance that it immediately raised suspicions.

I will sidetrack for moment to answer one point already made on this topic  about Froome being "clean". If I was asked to place a bet on whether I thought he was or nor I would keep my money in my pocket. That would go for any other rider on the Tour as well. I simply don't know. However, to say he's been tested therefore he's clean is ridiculous. Lance Armstrong was tested "clean" for years. All the people who are now accusing Froome of doping know full well he's been tested clean. So I don't know. If I was asked to go one way or the other I'd err on the side that he is clean (for what that's worth).

Back to Stage 10. On a French TV programme a Sports physiologist, Pierres Sallet, claimed that the data he had showed that Froomes  wattage (power output) on the climb must have been over 7 watts per kilo. Without getting in to the science too much anything over 7 watts is considered impossible without. doping. Brailsford (head of Team Sky was sitting next to him and disputed his findings, claiming (quite rightly that they were only his own estimates since he didn't have Froomes personal data. This is true and casts doubt on what Sallet was claiming.

But here is the important part. Brailsford was asked what Froome's weight was on the day and claimed he didn't know. This is absolutely ludicrous and looks to anyone in the know like deliberate evasion. Although this may seem like a trivial point its vital since without Froome's weight his power output can't be calculated. It's completely absurd for Brailsford to claim he doesn't know.

So there was a situation watched by millions  where Sallet,was  talking with authority but with incorrect figures  sitting next to Braislford who looked like he was hiding something. The French media went to town on it. Basically Brailsford was made to look shady while Sallet looked like an expert. In my opinion Sallet's figure was wrong and since then  an Austrian team have estimated Froome's wattage to be 6 point something watts which isn't that suspicious. Impressive but now unattainable if clean.

This is where the doping allegation largely come from. It's all a question of what was deemed legally possible on day 10 - the hard climb where Froome destroyed his opposition. Brailsford claim that he didn't know Froomes weight is ridiculous but is part of TS's  general secrecy regarding personal data.

So who is to blame? Everyone really given the history of the sport and the  level of scrutiny and suspicion that exist. some French media have gione for the jugular. Team Sky by their own inaction have allowed this suspicion  to gain ground. One thing is certain and which many people, tend to forget. There will be cycling fans  everywhere, including some at the roadside who will be 100% certain that Froome is cheating. No ifs, buts or maybes.. This isn't to condone or explain the actions of a handful of the millions upon millions that line the roadside., but it's a reality.

seems The police had 2 shoot A spectator in planet Lala

Not cycling fan, but who takes a bag of urine with them to a sports event, 

Been to a few football matches (when it was all standing) where people have peed in the terrace :-)

so we don't know whether froome is clean or not , but he is tested and monitored intensely , and although doping can be masked ,surely the race organisers have employed a reputable drug testing organisation using up to date methods and technology ,

so we have a situation where Froome is assumed to be guilty and unable to prove is innocence until a foolproof drugs testing scheme is found and is fair game to be abused spit at and assaulted by anyone during the course of the race .

NOT A BAG OF PISS ,BUT A CROCK OF SHITE .

Well the Dutch corner was ridiculous.Looked as though they were riding into a mob.Fans far too close,anything could happen,how didn't god knows.If one of the flags they were waving caught in the wheels then what.? 

Been to a few football matches (when it was all standing) where people have peed in the terrace :-)

Went to one myself after drinking 25 pints of Guinness and spent the whole match lent up against a wall pissing, saw nothing of the game, can't even tell you how I got home afterwards, but it involved crossing London on the tube and two train journeys.

Well the Dutch corner was ridiculous.Looked as though they were riding into a mob.Fans far too close,anything could happen,how didn't god knows.If one of the flags they were waving caught in the wheels then what.? 

Bikenage!, that's when there's only two wheel vehicles involved.

Just watched Chris Froome at the Champs Elysees, what a gent, what a champion. :thumbsup:

What with all the cars and motorbikes dodging about then trying to get through that lot, makes you wonder is it all worth it ? A Belgian reporter was asking the fans who had won, not one could give an answer, nuff said...................

I'm confused, there are hundreds of thousands of people lining the roads cheering and applauding all the riders as they go past including the yellow jersey and their team, I'd assume that the majority of the spectators are french, two or three morons in various ways do stupid ignorant things  - and now it's "the French hate us, always have !"

I'd say it was overwhelmingly the other way around

???

I'm confused, there are hundreds of thousands of people lining the roads cheering and applauding all the riders as they go past including the yellow jersey and their team, I'd assume that the majority of the spectators are french, two or three morons in various ways do stupid ignorant things  - and now it's "the French hate us, always have !"

I'd say it was overwhelmingly the other way around

???

Chris Froome is in Belgium right now, the crowds here just love him, that's the difference, for most along the route of the Tour are pissed, here cycling is a passion and cheer everyone on. :thumbsup:

have always been a fan of this the toughest and most gruelling of races and apparently the tour has the largest spectator turnout out for any single event world wide .

the sport has always been controversial and has a long history of doping and the use of illegal performance enhancing drugs and treatments is well known and documented , but froome has been subject to a strict regime of testing and been found clean ,so why don't the other teams .riders and the organisers come out in his support and condemn these moronic so called fans  .

Here's what I've been following this week -- http://www.transcontinental.cc/ -- much tougher than the Tour de France IMO!

I saw recently a debate on French TV, the journalisst said it was a miracle there's no more serious accident with all the people staying that close to the cyclers.

Comment now!

Comments are members only

Join Soul Source - Free & easy!

Sign in

Sign in here.

Sign in now!

Adverts