Monique - Gold copies against the orange / white ones

Mal C

I wonder, Monique - if you Love me, when I first personally discovered this 45 it was always on Gold copies, then in the mid nineties Orange / white ones started to appear, was that always the case?

mal

214733_img440.jpg

Edited by Mal C
Social source share

• Replies 8
  • Views 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Hi Mal,

Hope you're good pal. Mine's orange/white and I got it from Mick Smith early 90s. I've just had a look on popsike and there are more of the orange/white variety. Cracking record though! I first heard this at one of the Cleethorpes weekenders and then badgered Mick until he let me buy his.

Rich

Social source share

thats good to know, I have her other releases but never got this one, obviously this is from a certain auction going on on-line at the moment, which i was sure was the real deal, but as I've said, id always seen the gold one for years,then a orange/white in the mid 9ts...

just out of interest Robb, who do you think Monique really is?

Mal

Social source share

I have no clue who Monique is.  But, I don't think she's from Detroit.  I think that tapes of Dave Hamilton's tracks happened to get into the hands of Maurice Jackson from a Detroit contact of his, and he took them to Gene Chandler, and they recorded a Chicago singer (Monique) over them.  I can't place her voice on another artist I know.

Social source share

I lived in Chicago at the time the record was out, and searched for 45s in USA up to mid 1972.  I have seen more copies of the orange & white than the gold.  I would say about 5 to 1.  But I wouldn't say the gold was "rare".  As to how many of each are now in the hands of NS collectors, I couldn't say.  Both Monique records are "uncommon", but I wouldn't define them as "rare".

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!