Most expensive record ever broken?

I've just gone and snapped an Eddie Sull I sold on ebay over the weekend whilst cleaning it ready for packing, and my partner's tried wiping my tears away with "At least it was only a cheap one - can't see the buyer being too happy, either." she says :dash2:

True, but it was also lovely looking (a perfectly clean, yellow 'MARC' which I always thought looked quite classy...bit like the tunes) 

Got me thinking though, these things are 50-60 years old now, you all must have snapped some previously - any horror stories to share..........

Eddie Sull 1.jpg

Eddie Sull 2.jpg

Edited by wolfie66
Wrong title
Social source share

Think it was the Prophets!! My 2 things were at WC in about 75/76 a lad from that area was selling an issue for £6. The problem was it had 3 cracks. He let me take it home to play. I gave it back the next week. Could not risk it.

No 2 I bought Robert John Raindrops Love and Sunshine around the same time , paid the cash and promptly it slipped out of the sleeve and took a chunk out of the run in groove. I had not owned it more than 2 mins.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I've just gone and snapped an Eddie Sull I sold on ebay over the weekend whilst cleaning it ready for packing, and my partner's tried wiping my tears away with "At least it was only a cheap one - can't see the buyer being too happy, either." she says :dash2:

True, but it was also lovely looking (a perfectly clean, yellow 'MARC' which I always thought looked quite classy...bit like the tunes) 

Got me thinking though, these things are 50-60 years old now, you all must have snapped some previously - any horror stories to share..........

Eddie Sull 1.jpg

Eddie Sull 2.jpg

Point of note ...a lot of people use a soft clean cloth on records....not a bloody lump hammer:lol:.!! Dave rivers once showed me a very expensive tune ...almost " invisibly "mended with gaffer tape !! When asked what happened it was run over by himself on his office chair !!! Can't for the life of me remember the tune but i do seem to remember it was somewhat expensive !!!!! Would be wouldn't it !!!!

Social source share

ive dropped a couple on the edge of a swanflight record case before now making a horrid noise and massive chip but never to an expensive record

some poor soul on here did the same with a 8-900 quid tune last year. horrendous days work.

the resultant picture was like looking at a picture of someone with a broken leg on a footy field. gave the same odd sensation when looking at it too.

Social source share

I lent Moses Dillard ill pay the price to a well known DJ years ago it had a pressing fault a air bubble in the vinyl but played ok

After the niter a well known fella who I won't name ( Robbo lol )  told his mate who had borrowed the 45 off me that he could fix the air bubble and stuck a red hot needle into the air bubble making a freekin hole in the record..When he brought the record back saying he didn't want to buy it and I saw what Robbo had done to be truthful I just laughed when he told me what had gone on...Another one when my lad Sam was a baby he was in his walker I had my record box out sorting stuff out for a niter I was dj in at the phone rang I started talking when I looked up the lad had Ray Agee losing again in one hand and Calvin Grayson loves just began in his mouth the little bugger only had two little front nashers but bit a friggin chunk outa Calvin Grayson LOL

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Has to be the Shrine one that Andy Rix received in a jiffy bag from the States. I can't remember which one it was, but at the time it was either the first or second known copy.

Think it was the Cavaliers or the Counts, one towards the end of the discography. I told him to keep the pieces as the laser technology is out there to fix it.

Great idea for a thread. I received a Lou Courtney on Philips snapped in two in a Jiffy bag a few years back - the sender had the cheek to ask for photos that clearly showed the numbers in the run-out groove. As it happens, I still have the photos somewhere and the broken record which I keep meaning to take back to the States with me so I can post It back at minimal cost.

Social source share

I loaned a big batch of my best records (probably £20k++ worth in today's prices - this was back when I still had the goodies) to Les Cokell when he was ill, we arrived the next week to take him to a nighter to find he had 'helpfully' 'sorted them out for me' (the early onset altzheimers did that sort of thing) by stacking them across the floor of his front room all mixed up with Chris Morgan's collection - sadly he had trodden on my beloved green Luther Ingram in the process of laying them out putting a big crack in it - obviously I was very upset, but couldn't show it as Les would simply not have understood at that stage... And at then end of the day I chose to take a significant risk in lending them to him to cheer him up knowing he wasn't well.

One strange one I had on a VERY cold night at Shotts (which was very hot indeed inside) was buying a stone mint George Smith, I took it out to the Crewe minibus and put it on the dashboard for safe keeping - unfortunately the in-nighter to -10ºC outside shock cracked the styrene - though so cleanly that it plays perfectly.

Dx

Edited by DaveNPete
Social source share

Talking of JM - stood on his landing at Dalby rd - in the early 90's discussing the merits of August Moon - Wasted years -  when it flew out of its sleeve and landed edge on against those visually lovely wooden floors period houses have - chunks broke from run in to about 5secs in - 'oh gosh' - we exclaimed - 'here have it' John said - no idea what I did with it tried to use it dj'ing but impossible to cue in properly in usual murky light.- took me 20yrs to get another copy

Better experience - received Mr. Soul - What happened to yesterday - Genuine - 3yrs or so ago - ebay - $89 incl postage - investigation showed it had been re-offered due to return to seller in US - fag burn - @ 1min in - no mention in any of the listings of this potentially sound wrecking fault - you can check on popsike - both identical listings are on there

Guess what - plays through fag burn - who's laughing now - £60 - real one!

Steve   

Social source share

Too many record in a play box - Snapped a Van Dykes issue in two

Bought another a few weeks later and did exactly the same.

Took it as an omen but bought a third copy at a venue years later - kept it carefully all way home - Seat in taxi sprang forward in taxi - snapped it

Don't think I've ever 'hurt' any other disk - Just three Van Dykes issues

Got a yellow copy which has remained intact for several years.

Derek

Social source share

Too many record in a play box - Snapped a Van Dykes issue in two

Bought another a few weeks later and did exactly the same.

Took it as an omen but bought a third copy at a venue years later - kept it carefully all way home - Seat in taxi sprang forward in taxi - snapped it

Don't think I've ever 'hurt' any other disk - Just three Van Dykes issues

Got a yellow copy which has remained intact for several years.

Derek

This raises a good point.......I sometimes worry about not enough 45's in a box, and any negative affect of that, but of course too many is not good either............is there an ideal?  Full with a bit of shuffling room is best I guess?

Cheers,

Mark R

Social source share

This raises a good point.......I sometimes worry about not enough 45's in a box, and any negative affect of that, but of course too many is not good either............is there an ideal?  Full with a bit of shuffling room is best I guess?

Cheers,

Mark R

I've now started packing front and back of box  with a thick piece of card and removing it before using - leaves bit of room to manoeuvre

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I've now started packing front and back of box  with a thick piece of card and removing it before using - leaves bit of room to manoeuvre

Good shout!  I do use card in various ways when packing tunes into boxes etc.  Never thought to simply "pad out" a box full of 45's with it though.

Cheers,

Mark R

Social source share

Flipping heck, I started this to make myself feel better after breaking a £30 record - I think all I've done is left about 20 others in tears! Been taking notes as well, so far got:

Don't  buy from abroad - especially America

Don't buy from a soul night over here

Don't buy from a dealer far away, meaning you've got to use the postal service

Don't overfill your playbox

Don't underfill your playbox

Don't live on a continent that suffers from earthquakes - if you do sacrifice yourself for your records and make sure they're safe ahead of any family/kids/pets etc

Don't put your records on the floor while you're on a chair, especially if it has wheels......

Don't put your records near a cupboard, especially if that cupboard has a door that works

Bumps and bubbles are fine - DO NOT try rectifying them 

Don't use them in hot venues

Don't take them outside when it's cold

Don't take them out of their sleeves

Don't sit on them

Don't let infants eat them

Don't transport them in a taxi - in fact, don't transport them?

:lol:

Sorted, Thanks for the tips everyone - I think if the above rules are followed then no-one need suffer a devastating loss ever again......keep that vinyl safe people! :hatsoff2:And I forgot to ask.....does anybody want to buy an Eddie Sull on Marc, one small crack.....? 

:lol::lol::lol:  I think we could add: "Don't use cement blocks to hold up shelves made of loose boards, and nail your shelving to your walls with railroad spikes!"  And,for good measure, put all you most valuable records on your lowest shelves. 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I'm surprised your shelves went, if that's they're construction....the rest of the house, though....:g:

Ask Rod (ModernSoulSucks).  He looked through those shelves (breathing that 10-inch layer of horrible dust), on many a sunny afternoon.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Very sensible. Just flown out of LA and been stopped by TSA due to case of vinyl. He flips up the lid and then starts sticking fingers between records. Has anyone ever had records broken by TSA in searches of record boxes?

Social source share

Very sensible. Just flown out of LA and been stopped by TSA due to case of vinyl. He flips up the lid and then starts sticking fingers between records. Has anyone ever had records broken by TSA in searches of record boxes?

Nope - but I reckon there could soon be a TSA asking if any TSA's have had their fingers broken while rooting through a record box :dash2:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I have a habit of putting some records in the lid resting against the wall I put them all back or so I thought until I closed the box and felt a resistance stopped and had a look a record had fallen out side the box and was trapped between the lid and the back wall of the box and was bent for about 12mm. fortunately it was vinyl and I was about to bend it back. The record Vivian Jones Money cant buy my love on Lark. lucky escape  

• Helpful 1
Social source share

:thumbup: Between the earthquakes, railway spikes and and concrete blocks I think the dust was the least of his worries...I'm so glad I live in boring old Britain sometimes - give me rain and grey over earthquakes and sun any day.

No! No!  My quote "Nail your record shelves to the wall with railroad spikes."  was advice TO DO, to keep from getting your records broken in earthquakes.  Shelves going high up on a tall wall are bound to come crashing down(carrying all their contents) IF they are not strongly nailed to the wall.  Small, narrow nails wouldn't be strong enough to hold heavy shelves to a wall in a strong earthquake (6.0 or higher), or a middling quake, with your house located near the epicentre.

Social source share

I think this applies, .....bought a copy of Soul Incorporated- My Proposal about 2 1/2 years ago from Ebay, came from the states and (delivered)!! by FedEx....this is the fist time ive posted photos of it since that day....Painful don't come close, arrived in 2 pieces.....the good news is I got a full refund....these photos may be too much for some lol

image.jpg

image.jpg

Social source share

Whilst I was at work, my younger brother Des (r.i.p) Picked the lock on my record box, and was playing my records. Knelt on my Al Williams W/D cracked it right through to the middle. His answer was, well it had a bit of water damage on the label anyway:wicked:

:ohmy: I stil haven't forgiven my boys for contaminating a record box with Lego Darth Vader's head, resulting in a scratched Roy Roberts! The only water damage was the tracks of my tears....

No! No!  My quote "Nail your record shelves to the wall with railroad spikes."  was advice TO DO, to keep from getting your records broken in earthquakes.  Shelves going high up on a tall wall are bound to come crashing down(carrying all their contents) IF they are not strongly nailed to the wall.  Small, narrow nails wouldn't be strong enough to hold heavy shelves to a wall in a strong earthquake (6.0 or higher), or a middling quake, with your house located near the epicentre.

In fact you could take advantage of the hole in the middle and nail the spike's through the disc into the wall....I'll get me toolbelt.....

Social source share

MOSES DILLARD---i'll pay the price , snap it in half when i was cleaning it :wicked:

Snap - see point about making friends with dust...

Not quite broken but AWOL. The sound guy from the 100 Club rang to tell me he'd found some records down the back of the stage so I popped down expecting to find some cheapo sales someone had forgotten about and found a dozen of my best oldies, Charades, Marie Knight, Frank Beverly etc!

He is a sound guy, not sure I'd have been quite so honest - "A Frankie Beverley? No, didn't see one of them..."

Social source share

I think this applies, .....bought a copy of Soul Incorporated- My Proposal about 2 1/2 years ago from Ebay, came from the states and (delivered)!! by FedEx....this is the fist time ive posted photos of it since that day....Painful don't come close, arrived in 2 pieces.....the good news is I got a full refund....these photos may be too much for some lol

image.jpg

image.jpg

It's like watching a kitten get stabbed! 

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!