BBC News: new Northern club opens

Saw a news item & short vid pop up on the BBC News website a little while ago about a Northern Soul club that's just opened in Birmingham.

I'm guessing that this is the club mentioned in the "Call out for dancers/original Northern soul fans" thread that attracted so much vitriol recently.

Anyway, here's the link to the BBC News story, such as it is.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-33676835

Social source share

what a load of pants!!! shite dancing even the record being shown played looks like a boot, thought it was a ovo venue? as original posting

give it a couple of months sorry its so wrong......

makes me more proud of what we have achieved at Club Caliente

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Byrney

Oooh I like that, must get our Mavis out, she likes her Northern, proper stompers like that Peggy March. 

Can I get some lessons on how to do that there footsie? :) :elvis:

Social source share

I really would have thought that the fame whores that encourage this sort of crap would by now realise that the general public dont give a flying fuck about the scene never have and never will .

The scene happened in spite of the media why waste time cosying up to them they have done us no favours .

• Helpful 2
Social source share

This just epitomises some clubs on the northern soul scene, poor attendance, shit overplayed oldies that your sick of hearing, What's happened to the passion, I clearly didn't see any. I'm glad the clubs I attend have a good varied music policy, real soul people, asking what the fuck is this tune that's playing?. Like it used to be, for fucks sake move on or move over.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

"We talk and we talk till my head explodes,

I turn on the news and my body froze,

These braying sheep on my tv screen,

Makes this boy shout,makes this boy scream...

(all together now........)

Chorus : ........I'm going.......

...to Barbados, oooh palm trees palm trees - that may as well have played that!

Social source share

I went to my first NS venue 45 years ago at the age of 15. Hoagy Lands, Quitter Never Wins, Breakout, The Kid (Or the Holiday depends on what you believe) and loads more. I didn't know it was a different kind of music night, but I was a big Motown fan and that night hooked me for life.

I went to a lot of clubs after that. Didn't know how we were going to get there, and didn't worry about getting back. I used to wear Ben Shermans, black blazer with big vent and loads of buttons, brogues, Royals and Levi Sta Prest I would like to think I looked good. I wore a tie for the Blackpool Mecca, grinning like an idiot at the bouncers to make sure we got in after catching the free bus from Burnley, about 30 of us fresh from fighting on the match. So I can say that I grew up with the scene. I get the scene, I get the music. The problem with the attendees that wear the baggy trousers and circle skirts, and change  3 times a night at an 8pm until 1pm event, and also with most newbies, is that they get the music but they don't get the scene.

They don't understand how to behave, or our possibly insular, unwritten rules. Some great posts on here and the other thread, but I think we are going to have to live with the fact that only around 40% of us on here survive from the halcyon days (and that means your own era, not just mine), and get the scene, and that is only going to grow less over the years. We might eventually be left with people who really believe the scene is 500 records, baggy pants, vests, bootlegs allowed, drinks on the floor and the BBC is our friend.

I am happy nowadays to listen at home and in the car, and attend the occasional event: but I am still passionate about the music, and will die with that passion.  I believe they are just as passionate as I am in their own way, but they won't ever get the scene. Hopefully they will learn from their mistakes.

Like I've said before, you either get it or you don't …….. 

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Yep the opening Friday and Saturday the week before were rammed/sold out both nights, was quieter the weekend after as you would expect but I heard everyone had a great time, I was away in Berlin so didn't oversee what happened re filming etc. Wasn't 100% happy with it but there you go.

Was good to see a mix of people just doing their thing rather than the stereotype of people in the Northern Soul uniform baggy trousers etc that you were all moaning would be happening

It's a new club it'll take a while to build up to having every weekend packed that's why it's started small

Like it or leave it, for my friends they appreciate somewhere to go in Brum that is always good music :)

P.S. I know the lighting was identified as too bright and the disco ball is only meant to be on Sat nights so not sure what happened there

P.P.S. Yes it is OVO on Fridays (not other nights) so will look into that record

Social source share

nightclub, furniture shop and crèche!  laughs... that is brilliant. I really like this club... music is great of course,  Frank Wilson was a bit too obvious for my taste, but hey music is good medicine when and where ever its played... I dont really understand the negative comments in this thread, but each to their own, if I'm in town Maryam I'll drop you a line and come on over!

mal

Social source share

Here's a a couple of tips for the owners: if you are going to use the above video as a promotional tool

a) Try and get more than three people dancing. 

b) Try and make it look less like a converted double garage

c) Don't let little kids in. 

Whilst I admire your spirit, I've seen nothing in that video that would encourage me to come and visit your club. 

a) We had 300 people in, this video is from the press night (which 200 people came to) earlier on and Jud filmed whatever he wanted to film

NightOwl.Launch.IMG_4092_copy.thumb.jpg.

NightOwl.Launch.IMG_5290.thumb.jpg.c1646

NightOwl.Launch.IMG_5440.thumb.jpg.0278c

NightOwl.Launch.IMG_5694.thumb.jpg.61a3b

b) I've never seen a double garage look this nice

NightOwl.Launch.IMG_4721.thumb.jpg.91df7

NightOwl.Launch.IMG_4805.thumb.jpg.db88d

NightOwl.Launch.IMG_4737.thumb.jpg.6a709

c) Kids were Arith's (one of the owners) and they wanted to come to the press night to see what their dad had been up to, which is nice I think

NightOwl.Launch.IMG_3860_copy.thumb.jpg.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Let's just ride the storm out until the hipsters find the next thing to latch on to.

I'm still young (46) and have only been on the scene for 18 years but even I know it's all about the records and getting together with mates and like minded soulies, NOT image and style....

The bloke in the cardigan, is his dad Freddie Garrity?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

off topic post removed

ask all drop the personal comments and jokes about people who as far as I can see are just people out and about and enjoying themselves

not needed and most definitely not wanted

thanks

Edited by mike
not wanted!
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

Guest johnny hart

Hi Maryam ,Being one of the many who gave you a hard time,with your venture,looking at the stills,everyone seems to be having a good time,{ Onthe Costa Del Crime where i now live there are 100s of similar ventures OK ,not so many Rigsby Cardys & Ikea decor but hey guys ,no probs Chill Pills all  round!  sighed " The Snape" } lol Johnny.

Social source share

Hi Maryam ,Being one of the many who gave you a hard time,with your venture,looking at the stills,everyone seems to be having a good time,{ Onthe Costa Del Crime where i now live there are 100s of similar ventures OK ,not so many Rigsby Cardys & Ikea decor but hey guys ,no probs Chill Pills all  round!  sighed " The Snape" } lol Johnny.

Thanks John although it's all vintage furniture that's been reworked. Trying to do something different with the design rather than be a carbon copy of old venues.

I quite like the bar and deck job.Not the lights though.

Cheers Kev, it's been noted the lights were too bright so it's being modified

Social source share

I don't like to see folks taking the piss out of dancers ,I do some of the strangest things on the floor ,If they are enjoying it ,that's good enough for me ,unless they are line dancing :elvis:

Bazza :hatsoff2:

Yes I agree the dancing seems fine to me and folks are just getting into the music and enjoying themselves. What I don't get is the need for a  "press opening" and suchlike and it looks more like the preview night of an art show than a down and dirty Soul event.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!