Tight Vocals

• Replies 3
  • Views 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

When you listen to vocal on old 60's records do you find yourself critical of it's delivery? I mean, do you hear all the off tune and flat notes?

I do!

However, listening to good old Babs Lewis tonight, particualarly, Pushin' A Good Thing Too Far, it was absolutely note perfect.

Was this a mastered vocal?

Karen,

Ms Lewis is one of my favourite femme vocalists. Great songwriter too. For more about her try:

https://www.hitsvillesoulclub.com/articles/...08/art008a.html

Regards,

Dave

www.theresthatbeat.com

www.hitsvillesoulclub.com

Edited by Dave Moore
Social source share

When you listen to vocal on old 60's records do you find yourself critical of it's delivery? I mean, do you hear all the off tune and flat notes?

I do!

of course..thats the difference between "propper" Northern and Modern, the raw sound of the 60's, compared to the over produced "perfect" sounds of the 70's

Bazza

Edited by bazza
Social source share

of course..thats the difference between "propper" Northern and Modern, the raw sound of the 60's, compared to the over produced "perfect" sounds of the 70's

Bazza

Then there's the argument that the production only enhanced the singers qualities (obviously we are talking the 70's here and not the making of a silk purse out of a sows harris like they can now).

The 50's and 60's singers were all live acts who would only get to make a record if they could cut it live, and the records were almost just marketing tools to advertise their gigs. I think we can thank nationwide distribution for the less talented acts and the need for enhancments to production techniques. Double edged sword init.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert