D.C. MAGNATONES

saw that, Tim Brown had one didn't he some years back, nice to hear the flip as well on that listing...

That said, its mediocre garage track really, I dont much of it at all, might be rare but musically its not a very impressive track..

Malcolm

• Helpful 1
Social source share

saw that, Tim Brown had one didn't he some years back, nice to hear the flip as well on that listing...

That said, its mediocre garage track really, I dont much of it at all, might be rare but musically its not a very impressive track..

Malcolm

That's never a garage record Mal!

Social source share

Malcolm

I seem to recall Tim selling his copy after he realised they were a white band ..but some would say " isn't it obvious after one listen" ? 

• Helpful 2
Social source share

listen to the flip on eBay, then listen to the track again... its a white garage record, although it has a soul feel to it, you can hear where they are coming from...

I'm not disputing they're white and I've never heard the flip, but Does She Love Me doesn't have that primitive R&B influenced guitar sound that shouts garage to me. Not making a big deal as it's a neither here nor there record to me, but I do like a bit of snarly garage :)

Seems they were regarded as a Righteous Brothers type act locally, however.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/06/27/AR2009062702274.html

• Helpful 2
Social source share

you know what, forget these two, DCM / SULTANS and buy The Uniques - Not Too Long Ago, save yourself a load of cash and get a better track while your doing it...

Or for a more faithful soundalike, buy a US copy of "Mrs Brown You've Got A Lovely Daughter" by Hermans Hermits on MGM for about £2 - slightly cheaper than the UK Columbia EP of the same name.  

Social source share

I'm not disputing they're white and I've never heard the flip, but Does She Love Me doesn't have that primitive R&B influenced guitar sound that shouts garage to me. Not making a big deal as it's a neither here nor there record to me, but I do like a bit of snarly garage :)

Seems they were regarded as a Righteous Brothers type act locally, however.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/06/27/AR2009062702274.html

Interesting article. Thanks for posting. Evidently they were doo-wop influenced and perceived themselves as a soul group. The Sultans recording also sounds pretty good also.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

you know what, forget these two, DCM / SULTANS and buy The Uniques - Not Too Long Ago, save yourself a load of cash and get a better track while your doing it...

Tell you what, best idea of all? Forget all three, save yourself even more cash. Don't buy ANY of them because they really are all horrible dreck-laden pop-shite and buy some soul records instead................no need to thank me folks. My advice comes free.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

maybe not but as usual a big ticket ebay sale invariably smokes them out to try and get a similar result

lets see if we get some more Robert Tanners', Joseph Moore, Sheepherders - etc - Carolinasoul trousered $15000 + over the weekend for some rare? but mainly beat-up sounds - feeding frenzy as usual - I watched amused and contented myself with a $18.50 Topics - Man - I can live with the slight crack

Keep on looking  

Social source share

Seller did well on this item given it's defects. I got my copy from Les Moss many years ago, tempted by the 'only known copy' sales pitch. The record came from a member of the group when Les was based in the DC area. Les said he had also seen one very battered copy at some point in time. I heard someone spin this at the 100 Club over a decade ago and it went down well enough. I've seen it pictured in Manship's Million Dollars book and an American book of rare records. The two recent copies sold probably keep the quantity known to below ten copies but there are likely to be some hidden away in obscure collections remote from DJ styluses. Maybe not a sound from the very top drawer but still a worthy collectors item that very few will ever get to hold.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!