Mr Smithy

Cecil The Lion

Don't think much of his "apology" either.

I actually find it disturbing that people can enjoy killing animals for fun. I've never met anyone who does this (I don't think) but surely they don't come across as "normal" human beings?

"Again, I deeply regret that my pursuit of an activity I love and practice responsibly and legally resulted in the taking of this lion," he added.

There's not many people would put that much time, money and effort into being a total scumbag

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-33695872

If you'd like to voice your opinion.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/river-bluff-dental-bloomington?start=40

What is the temperature of this story in the US Mr Smithy? No doubt there will be some idiots defending his right to shoot, but the general mood? 

What is the temperature of this story in the US Mr Smithy? No doubt there will be some idiots defending his right to shoot, but the general mood? 

I can imagine his dental practice will lose a lot of patients.  The idiots defending him will probably not require the services of a dental practitioner.

Maybe we don't get it in the UK, since we are not a rootin tootin shootin nation, thousands die in us every year through guns held in house holds, can't see the nsra giving a flying eff for an animal. 

I can't say really. I live in the rarefied atmosphere of Downtown NYC, not known for hardware of the larger varieties and wide open spaces to track
the trophies. In fact it's become so sanitised, our version, the gentle pop of the Saturday Night Special on the larger roaches and smaller rats with the occasional stray Belgian tourist has sadly gone the way of the Dodo. So in this case I'm as dependent on the news reports as you.

If you look at the Yelp page though the condemnation seems to be fairly consistent with the online review nation. If it continues to be on the front pages of the news I'm sure we'll hear from the hunting rank and file. It's a common "sport" in rural US, in fact I myself occassionally get venison from friends of a friend upstate who go out and get deer for the table. I'm not sure they would back him on this though it's not quite the same thing. I'd be disappointed if Peta doesn't hound him to distraction though and while the NRA does say you should be able to have as much of an arsenal as you want, they'd be hard pushed to defend doing this with it.

Looks like the Americans are having a field day with this, calling for all kinds of misfortune for the dentist, which IMHO he deserves. How long before somebody calls for the poacher to be poached (like an egg) ?. 

Edited by Kegsy

Looks like the Americans are having a field day with this, calling for all kinds of misfortune for the dentist, which IMHO he deserves. How long before somebody calls for the poacher to be poached (like an egg) ?. 

Well, the hunter is now the hunted, as there are calls for him to be extradited to Zimbabwe, which the US Justice Department must respond to as a petition bearing more than 100,000 signatures has been delivered to the White House.  The US Fish and Wildlife Service also want to have words with Mr Palmer.

Well, the hunter is now the hunted, as there are calls for him to be extradited to Zimbabwe, which the US Justice Department must respond to as a petition bearing more than 100,000 signatures has been delivered to the White House.  The US Fish and Wildlife Service also want to have words with Mr Palmer.

Good job too, but lets not forget the people who organised the kill should be held responsible for luring Cecil out of the game reserve.  I hope he rots in jail.

Good job too, but lets not forget the people who organised the kill should be held responsible for luring Cecil out of the game reserve.  I hope he rots in jail.

The poachers are getting weighed off in a Zimbabwean court.  Apparently they showed lots of remorse.  Only because they got caught.

Therein lies the problem, with regard to Palmer, how will anybody prove that he didn't know killing the Lion was illegal in that particular area. I know he shouldn't be killing anything, but legally whats the score here ?.

I find the picture of him posing with a shot rhino just appalling. A rhino FFS!!!! who in their right minds would want to shoot such a majestic animal? (unless it was doing a shit on your front lawn of course).

Zimbabwe has now asked for the extradition of Palmer from the U.S.A, not a cat in hell's chance IMHO.

Let's think positive on this. Simply, in order to not extradite him the US with either have to condone his actions or accept ignorance of the law
as a defense. Plus, feelings are running high on this and we all pay well over the odds to dentists over here. So even though the US has previous on this
the good guys have a shot on this one.

Let's think positive on this. Simply, in order to not extradite him the US with either have to condone his actions or accept ignorance of the lawas a defense. Plus, feelings are running high on this and we all pay well over the odds to dentists over here. So even though the US has previous on this the good guys have a shot on this one.

There isn't an extradition treaty between the States and Zimbabwe, look how long it took for old hook hand to be extradited to the States. I hope the lawyers who handle the case have some sons to take it over, as they will be long dead before it's resolved. The only good thing is, Palmer will be skint by the end of it.

Without all the ins and outs off which there are many I don't know, let's just think positive. This isn't going away anytime soon
and public opinion doesn't seem to be particularly divided on this. Be interesting to see what happens when he finally sticks his nose out for air.

Without all the ins and outs off which there are many I don't know, let's just think positive. This isn't going away anytime soon
and public opinion doesn't seem to be particularly divided on this
. Be interesting to see what happens when he finally sticks his nose out for air.

It will be fish & chip wrapping a week from now.

It will be fish & chip wrapping a week from now.

Maybe, anything is possible, but I don't think so.
Can you still wrap F&C in anything other than sterile, grade one, unprinted paper? I'm all for it.

The poachers are getting weighed off in a Zimbabwean court.  Apparently they showed lots of remorse.  Only because they got caught.

With Mugabe in power all they need is deep pockets and they'll probably walk free, probably the same will happen to Palmer, the US will cough up something, maybe not Palmer, and he'll just end up with a change of identity after plastic surgery somewhere else in the Midwest.

Therein lies the problem, with regard to Palmer, how will anybody prove that he didn't know killing the Lion was illegal in that particular area. I know he shouldn't be killing anything, but legally whats the score here ?.

A very grey area, but surely luring a lion away from a game reserve just so he can shoot him with a bow and arrow has to be a good place to start, but lawyers argue about that sort of thing everyday. 

Dave isnt Mugabe playing host to a number of groups hosting the atrocity known as canned hunting,where hunters(by name only) come and shoot a captive animal favourites being the big cats, crocodiles have also been known to be slaughtered in this way..The animals are driven into pens where the@^£" takes aim from behind a fence or a tower looking down.This is big money as the@%£$%^ know whats pay big cash in dollars pounds etc.I believe south africa and some other states also play host.I saw a documentary some time about the subject and was sickened by it then.If the bloated  filthy rich want toplay hunter then send them out like a young masai boy wanting to be accepted as a man with the same protection and weapons these young men have,wonder how many takers will line up for that.

With Mugabe in power all they need is deep pockets and they'll probably walk free, probably the same will happen to Palmer, the US will cough up something, maybe not Palmer, and he'll just end up with a change of identity after plastic surgery somewhere else in the Midwest.

Edited by manusf3a

I totally agree with the Masai warrior bit, they have to be brave to be accepted, whereas a dentist gets to shoot anything he wants with his bow and arrow.  Bribery and corruption will get you most things in life if you know who's palms to grease and have deep enough pockets, greed is a powerful motivator for many.  It's just a shame that Palmer didn't just shoot at targets, he might have represented his country at the Olympics and won a medal or two instead of being a douchebag.

I wish they'd stop calling the c*** a hunter; he isn't, he's a cowardly, closet-psycho (look at the pic of him topless holding a big cat) Another weekend warrior that pays for gratification of his fantasy because he's too scared for the real thing.

He's a fucking man-child - Wanker

Comment now!

Comments are members only

Join Soul Source - Free & easy!

Sign in

Sign in here.

Sign in now!

Adverts

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.