JOHN MANSHIP AUCTION RESULTS 29-7-2015

10134_1sm.jpg10134_1sm.jpg10134_2sm.jpg

Bobby Wisdom

Handwriting On The Wall / The Girl I Call My Baby

RAREST OF THE RARE and make no mistake.

Easily Anthony C.Renfro’s hardest to acquire 45, of his many Northern Soul contributions and I think his best!

A totally uplifting “impossible” benefiting from a typically feelgood “Renfro” approach.. Burping saxophone leads the way for the at ease vocal of the mysterious Bobby Wisdom to glide through a full orchestra arrangement crafting scintillating Northern Soul with every note!

Stabbing horns, rattling drums drive this dancer at a perfect pace for the dancers, our opinion is if this wasn’t so God-damn-rare, this beauty is flawless Top 500 material.

Flip it over for an urgently constructed forceful stomper that most will never have heard before, certainly worth more than a cursory ear, as Bobby squeal and screams his way through this relentless pumping production .

TWO GREAT SIDES validating Anthony C. Renfro once again as one of Los Angeles’s major Northern Soul creator. This is only our SECOND copy of this 45 is fully 45 years of messing around with records.. does NS collecting get any rarer than that?

Sorry, this item has already been won!
The winning bid was £ 2,105.00

10126_1sm.jpg10126_1sm.jpg10126_2sm.jpg

Edwin Starr

Stop Her On Sight (s.o.s.) / I Have Faith In You

Words fail me!

The winning bid was £ 764.00

10127_1sm.jpg10127_1sm.jpg10127_2sm.jpg

Pearl Dowell

Good Things / It's All Over

A totally pristine ORIGINAL first press of this mighty Sister-Funker.. with an overlooked Northern Soul delight on the flip.

Let’s consider the topside first, a Frank Williams & Willie Beaver Hale collaboration full of attitude and drive! Sister-Pearl’s vocal weaves its way through a flood of blaring horns, some classy Beaver Hale guitar licks and a totally insane sax-break as “The Rocketeers” blown themselves off the scale of Miami Funk with a pull-out-all-the-stops back-up.

This side is rightly considered one of the truly great Sister-Funk sessions; Raw, spontaneous and free-style with Miss Dowell never faltering in her task of matching her instrumental support.

Second side is a real-Northern Soul gem, sadly bypassed in the early part of the century as the Deep-Funk monopolized the other side. “It’s All Over” borrows heavily from “I Can’t Wait Until I See My Baby’s Face” but injecting a little more punch with the horns again dominant. A mid-tempo NS stroller saturated in Soul which Pearl convinces with her skilled vocal delivery..

surely “It’s All Over” will have it day on the NS circuit..it would be a vinyl-crime if it didn’t..

Two great sides!!! one elusive disc.

The winning bid was £ 290.00

10136_1sm.jpg10136_1sm.jpg10136_2sm.jpg

Ballads

I Can't See Your Love (for The Tears In My Eyes)

As demand for this 1965 Oakland, California vocal group floor-destroyer hots up and as the Vee Jay label release starts to disapper. We thougth it may be nice to be able to capture one on Lonnie Hewitt’s Oakland WEE label.

This s the BUNKY’S PICK Chicago promoted variation not the “impossible” first press 988 42nd. Street, Oakland’s locally addressed press . But still looks a beauty as this Bunky Bill Sheppard supported Red labelled Devil takes to he internet…

Vinyl and labels are flawless, rarely witness is pristine condition. Click the soundfile to see why the Vee Jay copies have been changing owners for healthy 3 figure sums…

Relentless, frantic Northern Soul precisely delivered by Nathan Romerson, Leslie La Palmer, Johnny Foster and Rico Thompson. The Bay Areas most accomplish male vocal-group of their time.

The winning bid was £ 177.00

10128_1sm.jpg10128_1sm.jpg10128_2sm.jpg

Patti & The Emblems

I'm Gonna Love You A Long, Long Time / My Heart's So Full Of You

Top 500 Northern Soul floor packing classics, in perfect condition - watch this one go….

Condition could not be finer..two perfect labels & vinyl to match, still housed inside it’s original Kapp birth-sleeve.

The winning bid was £ 532.00

10133_1sm.jpg10133_1sm.jpg10133_2sm.jpg

Johnny Honeycutt

I'm Coming Over / If You Love Me

REAL DEAL NORTHERN SOUL IN IT’S RAREST FORM! an East Coast Northern Soul Holy Grail!!

To still hold it’s “impossible” reputation after what must now be near 45 years of relentless searching by every Northern Soul collector/dealer/fan on Planet Earth, solidly validates this 45 as an undisputed authentic Northern Soul Grail.

Personally, still after decades of me dreaming of “finding” a copy I have yet to encounter this Blue-Ghost in”The Wild”, it is what I would grade as Unicorn-Rare!

Only ever played by the very top-NS-jocks over the years consequently achieving a “Buy Before I Die” status. Click the soundfile to be catapulted back to a time when “One-Offs” would tease to the point of irritation and the smug looks the DJ wore as the needle dropped would stay in your mind all week…. as the green-eyed monster refused to sleep.

A record to be proud of owning - do not pass by, another may be more than a lifetime away.

The winning bid was £ 1,512.00

10129_1sm.jpg10129_1sm.jpg10129_2sm.jpg

Melvin Davis

It's No News / Wedding Bells

two Detroit Northern Soul icons make a date to craft the beginnings of their illustrious careers. Dave Hamilton (writer producer of great renown) guides Melvin Davis Motor City Soul-God, there can be only one outcome.

Killer Motor City Northern Soul with that special “magic” ingredient called “Flare”.

Take a listen to Melvin’s rarest 45 and consequently least heard NS offering. Take time for this “Popcorn-Shaker” to enter your life as it’s unique “Mambo” influenced arrangement collides with “Soul” and produces perfect “Popcorn” that is so very right for today’s dancefloor.

This 45s rarity is unquestionable as is we feel it’s potential for second breath under the guidance of a DJ who thinks past the “NS Obvious”.

Shimmering with potential to surprise and delight the dancefloor.

Flipside again bristles with cocktail of “Latin, Mambo, Soul” that demands your attention especially when Melvin pushes the boundaries with his squealing vocals. Then a “snake-charming” rap break.. well this side is neary as good.

Dave Hamilton you certainly know how to “do-it-up-right!”

The winning bid was £ 250.00

10140_1sm.jpg10140_1sm.jpg10140_2sm.jpg

Dell Randle

The Monkey And The Beatles

As the term “Tittyshaker” starts to create an underground following on the internet, the movement searches for more and more previously overlooked 50’s/60s dance-exotica gems.

An addictive genre that once you dip your toe in, you will before long be imagining swimming in a deep pool of well endowed Mama’s, dancing and shaking their wares up close and intimate.

This example is INSANELY RARE Bay Area San Francisco off-the-wall R&B Hammond instrumental that will have you seeking more of the style.

Dell is an unsung talent who did very obscure but very impressive work with that mysterious Northern Soul contributor Othello Robertson. Here he is in a different mood, attacking the keyboard whipping up a storm as he name-checking “Major Lance” whilst spanking out a “Do What You Wanna Do” rhythm… The Monkey, Wobble, Shake, Twist, Stroll…

This is dance craze at it’s most-convincing…

Northern Soul bring on some Tittyshakers.. . this is a Big Booby of a tune!!

The winning bid was £ 152.00

10135_1sm.jpg10135_1sm.jpg10135_2sm.jpg10135_3sm.jpg10135_4sm.jpg

Otis Redding

Otis Redding - Song Book

I was occasionally attending the King Edward IIV Upper School in 1967, December of that year I remember Danny Reynolds (a schoolboy MOD with rebellious tendencies) being thoroughly downhearted one morning as he brought to school the news that Otis Redding had been killed in a plane crash. We all mourned the rest of the day, even those long haired Gimpy’s into Pink Floyd shared our grief.

“Sitting On The Dock Of The Bay” was the last song Otis wrote, in the UK it became a huge hit, partly to his popularity with The MODS as their Soul idol, partly because it was such a stand-out Deep Soul recording.

In the USA, it entered the history books, as the first posthumous #1 hit and Otis’s only #1 hit. In the UK it just missed out on the top spot, but is considered by all in Britain as THE classic Otis anthem.

Before you today is a RARE 24 page “Otis Song Book” printed in 1968 by West Central Printing London for TEE PEE MUSIC LTD.

Includes not only the ultra-poignant lyrics of “”Sitting On The Dock Of The Bay” But all lyrics & music for “My Sweet Lorene”, “Fa Fa Fa Fa Fa” “Knock On Wood” “New Years Resolution” “Ooh Carla, Ooh Otis” “When Something Wrong With My Baby” plus THREE full page black & White Otis action pictures.

Apart from a mild “age browning” of the inside pages; this Song Book is free of tears, stains, writing or sticker marks.. a so very seldom encountered Historical piece that many may be tempted to split and frame for a unique WOW effect on the walls of their home.. tempting indeed.

The winning bid was £ 24.00

10150_1sm.jpg10150_1sm.jpg10150_2sm.jpg10150_3sm.jpg10150_4sm.jpg

Various Artists

Authentic R&b

British Album collecting at its most challenging!

An album lifting the greatest 60s recordings from the EXCELLO Catalogue. The track listing reads like “Who’s Who” of Southern R&B. As the selected soundfile reveals with distilled snarling exclusively male listing.

Slim Harpo, Lazy Lester, Jimmy Anderson, Lonesome Sundown, Whispering Smith, Leroy Washington, Silas Hogan’s work brought to an unsuspecting British public in 1963. It of course sold nothing on release and consequently today is one of the rarest UK compilations.

There are some light blemishes on the vinyl surfaces, but I’ve enjoyed this rarity in it’s entirety playing it from start to finish, plays perfectly and to be honest after hearing it, I was so tempted to make it a keeper.

1963 British press and Dog-RARE, not a bad track on it! Sleeve notes by Guy Stevens… R&B does not get any more collectable.

The winning bid was £ 57.00

10145_1sm.jpg10145_1sm.jpg10145_2sm.jpg

Four Corners

Mad About The Girl / Don't Send Me Away

A silly-Rare Cincinnati street-level D.I.Y. hopeful, offering up two distinguished Sweet Soul strollers.. Both sides constructed by the mysterious Floyd Weatherspoon who put a few tunes together for local Cincinnati Soul band “Platypus” ..these two soulful ballads are beautifull put together.

We lead with the more-syrupy of the two sessions, featuring an ice-cold soaring falsetto spearing the lyrics, within a laid-back dreamy production. Smokey Robinson inspired performance is fully supported by a “Miracles” styled backing team, belying it’s Cincinnati neighborhood roots.

Flip it over and the Soul gets slightly Deeper, as the group change their lead vocalist for a profound delivery, whilst in contrast the backing group harmony takes on a sharper character.

BOTH sides underscore the quality that is strewn on the street corners of every USA major city…Two truly dazzling ballads from a previously unknown group to me, totally impressive, and saturated in SOUL!

Local recordings don’t come any more polished than these two opulent offerings or rarer!

The winning bid was £ 34.00

10137_1sm.jpg10137_1sm.jpg10137_2sm.jpg

Williams Brothers

Ghetto Boy Parts 1 & 2

RARE 1973 Ghetto FUNKER!

giving up a perfect dance-rhythm, driven by haunting distant trumpets, ferocious Wah Wah plucking and tireless Bongos belting out an invitation to dance. Angry delinquent vocals attack the arrangement with relentless defiant snarls and screams.

Outrageous FUNK that fits perfect into today’s DJ remit to get te house jumping. Played loud, it refuses to let you rest fir a second..

Unforgiving FUNK at it it’s most-invasive!

The winning bid was £ 200.00

10138_1sm.jpg10138_1sm.jpg10138_2sm.jpg

Castaways

Liar, Liar

A timeless MOD classic in its rarest and most attractive form.

The pull of the Yellow London PROMO copies could hardly be stronger, as this song evokes visions of Brighton Beach 1966 - most-every teenager who even only had a fleeting brush with Britain’s MOD culture will recognize this tune whirling hammond intro the opening for an anthem.

For the vinyl-condition extremist, this copy offers near perfection; it took me some time angling, re-angling the vinyl in strong light to reveal only the merest signs of paper-sleeve contact through the decades.

As you can see the labels are also flaw-free, only the Decca stamped 150 = secondsrunning time on the label (which is hardly a flaw)

A stunning copy Honest!

“Liar Liar, Pants On Fire” who?… certainly not me…

The winning bid was £ 67.00

10139_1sm.jpg10139_1sm.jpg10139_2sm.jpg

Broadways

You Just Don't Know / Sweet Heavenly Melody

What is it about the MGM Black stock copy - other than it looking oh so smart in it’s birthday sleeve, or is it maybe because we know MGM rarely skimped on their productions.

I have heard derogatory mumblings about this tune being “Four Seasons” in style - blue-eyed Northern Soul. THINK AGAIN check out the men behind it’s construction.

Charlie Koppelman & Don Rubin are no strangers to the Brill Building styled big production, neither is fellow New Yorker Trade Martin, a name so familiar with the Northern Soul collector, as Trade just had that gift for serving up feelgood NS arrangements.

But this song is stand-out Northern Soul for more reasons than the producers or the well credited arranger.. check out the writers… Drake Hollon wrote songs for Linda Jones, Timothy Wilson, Teri Bryant, Florence Ballad etc.

The co-writer has an even more impressive portfolio cutting his teeth with Motown in the company Eddie Holland. Writing such Northern Soul greats as “Exus Trek” Lenny Curtis - Nothing Can Help you Now…

There is always a reason for the birth of a stand out song no matter what colour the artists skin.. there was a “Dream Team” behind this killer tune. Little wonder the last time we listed it, there was a 6 0’clock scrap to own it’s brilliance!

condition btw is flawless 

The winning bid was £ 161.00

10143_1sm.jpg10143_1sm.jpg10143_2sm.jpg10143_3sm.jpg10143_4sm.jpg

Mckinley "soul" Mitchell

Mckinley "soul" Mitchell

You are viewing an album very few collectors have ever seen in the flesh and even fewer have ever owned. 1967 Italian release of McKinley Mitchell’s One-derful label sessions.

But this is so much more than just an elusive album. It offers up a lucky 13 recordings from his Chicago, One-Derful studio recordings, with more than one non-7” release track.

Includes the killer Northern Soul/Popcorn session “I’ve Been Wrong”

• “I Found An Angel)” “Reckless Lover” “That’s What You Said” “There He Goes” for the rare Soul DJ there’s a huge enticement for ownership in those stand-out tracks. (see scan for full track listing)

For the truly dedicated Rare Soul collector this is not chance to dwell on, we consider this album one of the toughest LPs it is possible to to dream of acquiring in unblemished condition.

Condition as you can see and hear is quite magnificent.

The winning bid was £ 59.00

Social source share

I was looking at getting a copy of The Broadways the other month.  I was surprised to see it for auction, only believe it be worth between £35 - £50.  How does someone value it at £161?

The other record I was going to comment on that is currently listed for auction is the Clarence Jackson promo, how the **** is that an auction item?:ohmy:

As great as the Edwin Starr record is, £764!!!!:hypo:  I'll keep my Ric-Tic copy thanks.

Edited by Supercorsa
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

I was looking at getting a copy of The Broadways the other month.  I was surprised to see it for auction, only believe it be worth between £35 - £50.  How does someone value it at £161?

The other record I was going to comment on that is currently listed for auction is the Clarence Jackson promo, how the **** is that an auction item?:ohmy:

As great as the Edwin Starr record is, £764!!!!:hypo:  I'll keep my Ric-Tic copy thanks.

Edwin Starr Polydor Demo is extremely rare so collectors will pay big bucks for it, especially in the condition of the one JM sold

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest CapitolSC

Re the Dell Randle 45, the backing track is unmistakably Jelly Bread - Booker T & The MG's so not sure about JM's description " Here he is in a different mood, attacking the keyboard whipping up a storm ". 

Its the same Backing as Tic Tac Toe 

Social source share

Dell Randle was in my sales boxes priced at $20 for the last few years with no takers, guess harder to pick up than realised.

(and if you really want a Tic Tac Toe version for the dancefloor then the A Go-Go's on DB with the maxed out reverb is totally killer)

Social source share

I reckon the demo of Clarence Jackson is quite a bit harder than the issue. The standout thing about it of course is that it has "What's So Good To You" on the other side, which is a great 70s track. You don't get that on the orange issue which only has the instrumental of "If It Don't Fit, Don't Force It" on the flip. That makes the demo desirable in its own right.

A feature of John's auctions is that he doesn't only feature big ticket items, but frequently includes items just because they are interesting and a bit different. So it's not all about the end price anyway.

Cheers

Richard

Social source share

I reckon the demo of Clarence Jackson is quite a bit harder than the issue. The standout thing about it of course is that it has "What's So Good To You" on the other side, which is a great 70s track. You don't get that on the orange issue which only has the instrumental of "If It Don't Fit, Don't Force It" on the flip. That makes the demo desirable in its own right.

A feature of John's auctions is that he doesn't only feature big ticket items, but frequently includes items just because they are interesting and a bit different. So it's not all about the end price anyway.

Cheers

Richard

Well - it achieved over 300 quid - so I guess that makes the point it was an auction record after all :wink:  :thumbsup:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!