Invictus,Hot Wax,Music Merchant;Your Faves?

Guest johnny hart

Guest johnny hart

Whats your; "Dance floor Destroyer" lurking in the depths of this 1969 to 1977 H.D.H.post Motown setup? Mine "90 Day Freeze [On her Love]" 100% Proof Aged In Soul;featuring in their ranks; Steve Mancha, Eddie Anderson and Joe Stubbs.

Social source share

Whats your; "Dance floor Destroyer" lurking in the depths of this 1969 to 1977 H.D.H.post Motown setup? Mine "90 Day Freeze [On her Love]" 100% Proof Aged In Soul;featuring in their ranks; Steve Mancha, Eddie Anderson and Joe Stubbs.

Lamont Dozier 'Why Can't We Be Lovers'. Tony Blackburn on radio 1 always played it at 8.15 in an attempt to make me late for school. Used to play it at Parkers.

dean

Nice

:hatsoff2:

Social source share

Not "Dancefloor Destroyers" but I would go fro Ty Hunter / Glass House - I Don't See Me In Your Eyes Anymore on the Invictus label and perhaps Silent Majority - Frightened Girl on Hot Wax. From the Music Merchant label how about The Jones Girls - You're The Only Bargain I've Got which is dance floor friemdly.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

As primarily a Detroit collector, I have tended to "accrue" certain titles through certain "blind faith", if indeed, that is the right phrase to use? Hence picking up a few previous unknowns from a personal perspective, and  whilst my favourite musical "tipple" mainly  originates from the 1960's, my ear is keen for the arousal factor, irrespective of era!

The Invictus / Hot Wax labels in particular, a major part of the HDH output,and undeniably "contrived" to prolong their post Motown portfolio, with many classy 45 releases, which need no introduction ,however possibly a "left fielder" from my own usual selections includes  a title that sounds better with each hearing...... Earl English-Wanting you-Invictus 1275 (from 1974), maybe a "marmite track" to some, but strikes the right note to me personally....It's on youtube..... alas I'm a Luddite....   

Social source share

Chairmen Of The Board - Give Me Just A Little More Time  

For me one of HDH's finest productions particularly the genius idea to mix the breakdown in mono and then " punch " back into stereo. Pretty uncommon studio technique then and still sounds wonderful today. Not forgetting General Johnson's fantastic Brrrrrddd! A total winner!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

the album version of You've Got to Crawl is slightly longer and a different mix well worth a listen.

Lee Charles Get Your House in Order is the instrumental to it.

The Silent Majority track to have is the Something New About You which appears on the rarer issues of Colours of my Love

One Mans Leftovers is an old Wigan favourite from 100% proof a stormer

Social source share

the album version of You've Got to Crawl is slightly longer and a different mix well worth a listen.

Lee Charles Get Your House in Order is the instrumental to it.

The Silent Majority track to have is the Something New About You which appears on the rarer issues of Colours of my Love

One Mans Leftovers is an old Wigan favourite from 100% proof a stormer

Something New About You was a release in it's own right and is available as a "same sided" promo.  Colors Of My Love was the B side.

Social source share

There's loads of them, as well as the above mentioned titles, here's a few more that come to mind - there will be plenty more I've missed though:

100 Proof - "Don't you wake me" - Hot Wax

Honey Cone - "If I can fly" - Hot Wax

Honey Cone - "Somebody Is Always Messing Up A Good Thing" / "The truth will come out" - Hot Wax

Satisfaction Unlimited - "Let's Change The Subject" - Hot Wax

Just Brothers - "You've got the love to make me over" - Music Merchant

Melvin Davis - "You made me over" / "I'm worried" / "Just as long" - Invictus

Freda Payne - "We've got to find a way back to love" / "Two wrongs don't make a right" - Invictus

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!