Favourite Soul Track That Isn't About Boy/girl Stuff

Guest soul_hull

Guest soul_hull

eg valentines - breakaway....Look Up With Your Mind - Lenny Williams, Determination - Dean Parish ....... the bottle even??? what's yours?

[insrumentals don't count!!!!]

Social source share

• Replies 45
  • Views 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Favourite Soul Track That Isn't About Boy/girl Stuff

..or boy/boy or girl/girl...or any such 'love'/'lost love theme, ya mean?...

it's a very difficult question for me, because all my favourites tear at my heart strings with such themes. Actually, I had a rude awakening recently when I went to choose some love songs for a special occassion, and realised that most of my collection seems to revolve around a hearttbreak theme. :thumbsup:

Away from that kind of relationship, I'd finally have to say 'Color Him Father'. Played it lots when I lost my dad and always dedicated it to him after that (when I did radio back home).

Obviously it was usually the OC Smith version, far above the others imho.

Alternatively, something with a political/social message probably; like 'wear your natural baby' or 'people'.

...The 'dance, dance, dance' type of records, generally only make me moan :shades:

m

Social source share

Guest Johnny Mack

Fave tune at the moment is Eddie Bridges and the Low Riders on Romark .........."Peekaboo" - aint no girlie stuff in that !

Pretty basic boogaloo style soul, but one that cuts to the chase, raw, rough around the edges and ready !!!

Take care

Johnny Mack whistling.gif

Social source share

I thought that was boy - girl stuff. whistling.gif

Sorry, putting my shoes on.

Wade in the Water..&...2 little fishes..spring to mind..come to think of it most gospel is not about boy girl stuff.

Social source share

Slightly off on a tangent from the thread but I used to love it in the 70s at a wedding do when the thicko DJ used to play Band Of Gold & Young Hearts Run Free & then dedicate it to the bride & groom - do you think he ever actually listened to the words?

Edited by epic
Social source share

You Live Only Once - Imperial Wonders

Keep On Running Away - Bits & Pieces

If I Had My Way - Troy Keyes

Be Concerned - Al Wilson

R&B Time - E Rodney Jones

Kenny Smith - Lord What's Happening To Your People

Cool Off - Detroit Executives

Thank The Lord For Love - Living Color

Just A Few Feet From The Gutter - The Ascots

People Wake Up & Live - James Brown

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

No there's only Lap up here.

Seriously tho, I would have had a fiver on you choosing 'Another Sundown In Watt'. After all the ear ache you've given me extolling its wonderousness.

Social source share

Guest soul_hull

MAN I'D FORGOTTEN ABOUT THAT - WHAT A CORKING SONG.!!

actually since yesterday......isn't the song called 'you're gonna wreck my life' and doesn't he say stuff like 'you took all my money baby, and all my lovin' too' (he does coz i'm listening to it now!!)

so whilst it's a fan-bloody-tastic song, and i thank you for reminding me of it, it certainly IS about the 'love' etc. great song though.

consider yerself told off, and stand at the back off the class :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest mrs norman maine

'Give me liberty or give me death', especially the bit where he sings "they've had siddins.......sidddowns and they've marched for many a mile." Can't remember who it's by, but I'm sure Tony Smith will oblige. Marvellous!

Exits-Streetlamp

On a lighter note, "I'm going Xmas shopping". Although on reflection, he's probably going shopping for his other half, so maybe that disqualifies it.

Social source share

'Give me liberty or give me death', especially the bit where he sings "they've had siddins.......sidddowns and they've marched for many a mile." Can't remember who it's by, but I'm sure Tony Smith will oblige. Marvellous!

Exits-Streetlamp

On a lighter note, "I'm going Xmas shopping". Although on reflection, he's probably going shopping for his other half, so maybe that disqualifies it.

That's Salems Travellers on Checker (devotional series!)

Social source share

Exits-Streetlamp

thought he was shopping for his kids,what "santa goofed and fell off the roof" Chokers finest
Social source share

Guest martinsbox

eg valentines - breakaway....Look Up With Your Mind - Lenny Williams, Determination - Dean Parish ....... the bottle even??? what's yours?

[insrumentals don't count!!!!]

Paris Blues - Tony Middleton

Psychadelic Soul - Saxie Russell

to name but two, and none of them girls/boys/don't knows.

Martin

Social source share

Guest martinsbox

Ted Cassidy - The Lurch

Casualeers- Dance dance dance

Capitols - Cool jerk

Candy & the Kisses - The 81

8th Avenue Band - The whole thing

Cliff Nobles - Judge, baby I'm back

Willie Hutch - The duck

Third Point - Spirit

Don't think there's boys or girls there.

Social source share

Ted Cassidy - The Lurch

Capitols - Cool jerk

Willie Hutch - The duck

Third Point - Spirit

Not sure all these nominations for dance craze records count - as George Bernard Shaw said - 'Dancing is a perpendicular expression of a horizontal desire'

Mike

Social source share

Ted Cassidy - The Lurch

Capitols - Cool jerk

Willie Hutch - The duck

Third Point - Spirit

You ate it Ralph :yes: ..........WTF was that 8th Avenue Band about :yes:

Mind you,on the other hand Third Point-Spirit,cracking sound-does it get any plays these days?

How about 'Of Hopes & Dreams & Tombstones'? Not much romance in there......Or 'Black Power' for that matter blush.gif

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Not sure all these nominations for dance craze records count - as George Bernard Shaw said - 'Dancing is a perpendicular expression of a horizontal desire'

Mike

Really??

In, out, in, out, shake it all about?

Cant see the link myself.

Edited by in town Mikey
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!