Steve S 60

Emmerdale

Never really  watched it apart from many years ago and it still brings to mind  images of huge side boards and a fattie called Amos Brierley, one of them names you know how much you want to forget it you never will.Oh yeh and the woman from "Naw just flew in fram Luton ayr port",she came on to  the is it Ambrige? scene. I have never really been much of a soap follower.

What was it made it seem like final destination Steve?Were they all getting killed off like flies,falling under tractors of electrocting themselves on accidently super powerfully charged cattle fences. or maybe just going under piles of cowshit like so much quicksand

ps Ooh King farook it, Ambridge is from the archers Ive just looked it up an its on  the radio not the telly.

Oh ,I  had a look on Wikki, the Dingles, I remember seeing them the Krays of the Kountryside also so its Becinsdale the village not Ambridge and I recognise Brearleys mate and boss Henry Wilks.

Edited by manusf3a

Good morning Manus.  I just caught it when they were all having a wedding do in the village hall.  Then it cut to someone sat in a car that was on fire, with some big calor gas bottles nearby.  Cut back to the wedding do, and all hell's about to break loose as a tape of the bride cheating with the groom's brother is being played.  Back to the car and the flames are getting closer to the gas bottles.  Village hall, everybody is looking aghast as the full story of the bride's infidelity is exposed.  Meanwhile, the gas bottles are engulfed in flames.  Pan out and a helicopter is seen flying over head.  Zoom in on the bottles, and bang.  One of the bottles is sent skyward, crashing into the unsuspecting helicopter.  Calls of Mayday from the pilot as the stricken aircraft plummets towards the village.  Back to the village hall, and the wedding party are totally oblivious to the imminent disaster.  Back outside, a bloke drinking pint looks up to see helicopter heading towards the village, drops pint, rushes to warn the revellers of their impending doom.  Too late, helicopter crashes into village hall.  Scenes of utter carnage within, as debris crashes down on the cast of Emmerdale.  Closing scene of smoke rising from the ruins that once was the village hall.  Cue credits.......to be continued.......

Good morning Manus.  I just caught it when they were all having a wedding do in the village hall.  Then it cut to someone sat in a car that was on fire, with some big calor gas bottles nearby.  Cut back to the wedding do, and all hell's about to break loose as a tape of the bride cheating with the groom's brother is being played.  Back to the car and the flames are getting closer to the gas bottles.  Village hall, everybody is looking aghast as the full story of the bride's infidelity is exposed.  Meanwhile, the gas bottles are engulfed in flames.  Pan out and a helicopter is seen flying over head.  Zoom in on the bottles, and bang.  One of the bottles is sent skyward, crashing into the unsuspecting helicopter.  Calls of Mayday from the pilot as the stricken aircraft plummets towards the village.  Back to the village hall, and the wedding party are totally oblivious to the imminent disaster.  Back outside, a bloke drinking pint looks up to see helicopter heading towards the village, drops pint, rushes to warn the revellers of their impending doom.  Too late, helicopter crashes into village hall.  Scenes of utter carnage within, as debris crashes down on the cast of Emmerdale.  Closing scene of smoke rising from the ruins that once was the village hall.  Cue credits.......to be continued.......

Well they couldn't have had a second plane crash could they?

That would have been just too unlucky.

They never did find Archie's body.

Just like real life once again in a sleepy Yorkshire village.  Thank whoever messed up the satellite that prevents me from getting the UK channels and weaned me off watching the television as now I don't give a toss about the soaps.  But the thought of carnage on the set of Emmerdale might be worth trying to get it on catch-up somewhere:wicked:

Well they couldn't have had a second plane crash could they?

That would have been just too unlucky.

They never did find Archie's body.

As Dave says the thought  of seeing that sort of carnage would be worth watching an episode it does as Steve said to start out with all sound  a bit Final Destination ish, in that vein theres loads of potential scenarios that could be included,farm worker staring open mouthed at the sky while the large  red diesal tank he was  filling up from in the  farm yard flows from an open tap   towards  a massive pile of haybales  unoticed by said worker.Another worker also stands slack jawed in amazement  next to the hay bales as his fag still lit falls to the floor from his mouth and all ready for a premature roasting  dozens of cows in a pen that the giant pile of haystacks looms ominously over.Shit covered landrovers crash into shops and house s(what few there are) on the village street as their drivers lose control at the sight of disaster unfolding all around.

Edited by manusf3a

Sorry, it was Budgie the Unsuspecting Helicopter.  Fergie (ex HRH not ex MUFC) has been moonlighting as an Emmerdale script writer.  Don't normally watch soaps, but may be tempted to catch tonight's episode of Emmerdale to see if there are any survivors.  Didn't notice a big fireball after the crash, just lots of smoke, so the Dingles might not have met their end in a blazing inferno.

Sorry, it was Budgie the Unsuspecting Helicopter.  Fergie (ex HRH not ex MUFC) has been moonlighting as an Emmerdale script writer.  Don't normally watch soaps, but may be tempted to catch tonight's episode of Emmerdale to see if there are any survivors.  Didn't notice a big fireball after the crash, just lots of smoke, so the Dingles might not have met their end in a blazing inferno.

Shouldn't you have finished that with "Shame"?

But the bloke who plays Marlon has to be the worst actor in a British soap, barring the bloke who plays Dev in Corrie.  Sam is good for a giggle though, he plays his part really well.

Edited by TattooDave

Dave, you can't tar all the Dingles with the same brush.  Sam and Marlon are alright (and here's me saying I don't normally watch soaps.

You could if you had enough tar.Marlon's "nervous" character is getting annoying,Debbie is a rate nasty piece,Cane's the only one worth watching..more irritating are the adverts with the scarecrows......ffs......

You could if you had enough tar.Marlon's "nervous" character is getting annoying,Debbie is a rate nasty piece,Cane's the only one worth watching..more irritating are the adverts with the scarecrows......ffs......

You're obviously a connoisseur Kev.  I agree Cane is entertaining, especially when he's on the case of that spoilt b*stard (don't know his name).

Lots of smoke from what I can recall of the dingles wouldnt there be lots of smoke of they had all met their end,I have the vision that family would burn like the great  tire fire on the outskirts of Springfield that never goes out  with the same sort of thick black smoke as a giant old tires fire would burn rising to great heights in the air   near enough turning night into day and tht would just be from Zaks beard  and the shit and grease covered barbour jackets and parkas I remember they wore.

Ps I remembered the name "Hotton",wasn't that the big metyropolis the emmerdalians would have a verbal to each other about going too for the purposes of shopping!Maybe they wanted a new pair of  green wellys or a Barbour jacket or maybe it was just the lure of the bright lights of "Hotton",perhaps like many of todays bandwagon jumpers here in Peterborough they would travel to support an out of  town football club.Do you think the consequences of the disaster could effect Hotton.Has Hotton got a part time fire brigade who will be called up as Emmerdales services will be overwhelmed,could the Hotton fire truck come off the road as it speeds to the scene as it swerves to avoid a huge head of baa ing and bleating sheep running along the road out of Emmerdale.How many of Hottons finest will be injured in the crash even stomped severely by the rampaging fear filled sheep!.Will I tune in to find out what happens,naw ,don;t think so.

Edited by manusf3a

You're obviously a connoisseur Kev.  I agree Cane is entertaining, especially when he's on the case of that spoilt b*stard (don't know his name).

Hardly a connoisseur Steve.

Although i did like Amos Brearly.Born on April's fool day, into a family of undertakers from Bridlington,he actually became landlord of the Woolpack in 1948.

That gas bottle would never have hit the helicopter anyway.

Hardly a connoisseur Steve.

Although i did like Amos Brearly.Born on April's fool day, into a family of undertakers from Bridlington,he actually became landlord of the Woolpack in 1948.

That gas bottle would never have hit the helicopter anyway.

Whatever happened to Seth?

Whatever happened to Seth?

Oooh good king Farook,it is amazing just like that record says"They all came back", another face  ferret featured grant it,popping up  out of the mists of time.Old Seth,woods man extrodinaire  at one with nature ,wasnt it Seths voice and accent that was mimicked by folk in boozers and clubs,anywhere in fact where intoxicating drink was sold repeating those immortal words"A'l av an arf".One hand in the hen coop the other playing the fiddle(figuratively fiddling that was).The names and faces are coming back now just like Englands world cup 1966 winning team they are in my memory all there in line in front of me,more shadowy figures emerging in the distance and approaching the group becoming more into focus as they do in my memory.There they are,Seth,Amos,Wilks,Zack Dingle,the chef Dingle,Luton airport "Er self", a grumpy faced git called Sugden.In one of those ,"Who would win type  scenarios" Who would you back, if they had to go into the cage for a three minute round of mma out of the faces so far recalled,I would go for Seth,old as he be I reckon he would have lots of dirty sneaky tricks ,his pure animal like cunning would ensure he  did not lose  even  beating Zak the prize fighter who  I am sure Seth would nobble beforehand.When all was said and done his opponents beaten then Seth would sit back and "Av an Arf".

Edited by manusf3a

Oooh good king Farook,it is amazing just like that record says"They all came back", another face  ferret featured grant it,popping up  out of the mists of time.Old Seth,woods man extrodinaire  at one with nature ,wasnt it Seths voice and accent that was mimicked by folk in boozers and clubs,anywhere in fact where intoxicating drink was sold repeating those immortal words"A'l av an arf".One hand in the hen coop the other playing the fiddle(figuratively fiddling that was).The names and faces are coming back now just like Englands world cup 1966 winning team they are in my memory all there in line in front of me,more shadowy figures emerging in the distance and approaching the group becoming more into focus as they do in my memory.There they are,Seth,Amos,Wilks,Zack Dingle,the chef Dingle,Luton airport "Er self", a grumpy faced git called Sugden.In one of those ,"Who would win type  scenarios" Who would you back, if they had to go into the cage for a three minute round of mma out of the faces so far recalled,I would go for Seth,old as he be I reckon he would have lots of dirty sneaky tricks ,his pure animal like cunning would ensure he  did not lose  even  beating Zak the prize fighter who  I am sure Seth would nobble beforehand.When all was said and done his opponents beaten then Seth would sit back and "Av an Arf".

Amos, after letting it be known beforehand that anybody beating him would face a lifetime ban from the Woolpack.

If there was such a thing as human animal genetic splicing of the sort portrayed in the movie Jupiter Ascending then I reckon Amos was spliced with a shire dray horse he had that certain look about him, like he was bred to be around beer as the dray horse whose live revolved around the transportation of beer from brewery to boozer.Amos had that timeless look ,when you imagine a barman,landlord in a medieval English ale house they look like Amos did,big muttons worn as a badge of honour.The dray horse splice enabling him to complain as he might still keep going hour after hour working with beer.You can still see many examples of the human dray horse splice behind the bar in Englands pubs,resplendent with mutton chops and all, where it would be a shock to see such a creature would be behind the bar or managing a trendy glass and plastic decor pub in town the splice type is at home in small country and out of the way locals here in his element talking about and dishing up beer.Sadly with the rising cost of beer and many especially the small local pubs closing and things not looking to get much better soon there may well be a large number of Amos type folk looking for employment,the real difficulty will be in retraining these Amos's as the positions for them in pubs will no longer be available,what will they do ?where will they go? only time will tell!

Has Hotton got a part time fire brigade who will be called up as Emmerdales services will be overwhelmed,could the Hotton fire truck come off the road as it speeds to the scene as it swerves to avoid a huge head of baa ing and bleating sheep running along the road out of Emmerdale.How many of Hottons finest will be injured in the crash even stomped severely by the rampaging fear filled sheep!.Will I tune in to find out what happens,naw ,don;t think so.

Yes they do have a fire brigade, Pugh, Pugh ,Barney McGrew, Cuthbert, Dibble and Grub, not forgetting Captain Flack, no sorry, that's Trumpton, not Hotten.

I'm going to try and watch tonight's episode via my laptop pc thingy, maybe I'll see something gruesome.

That's one of the Monkees

Just watched the first half and only recognised a half dozen or so, none of which seem hurt, what a let down!

Benny was in the Monkees ? 

Benny was in the Monkees ? 

not unless it was in a parallel universe, Benny might have been in the Jets, or maybe Crossroads, though I'm still concerned about where the attic comes into it, unless it's an evil twin that's kept up there and fed on fish heads?

" neigh Mr Wilks"

best soap catchphrase ever. beats riiiikiiiiiiiieee into a cocked deer stalker.

theres not enough farming chat for me anymore in emmerdale.

does anyone poach on there now?

Edited by JNixon

best soap catchphrase ever. beats riiiikiiiiiiiieee into a cocked deer stalker.

theres not enough farming chat for me anymore in emmerdale.

does anyone poach on there now?

But wasn't it always "Nay, nay Mr Wilks" as in No, no, rather than some horse impression.

They probably still poach eggs, but with Annie no longer there to "put t'kettle on" it's not the same.  And if you try telling that to the kids today, they just won't believe you.

Edited by TattooDave

" neigh Mr Wilks"

Mr Wilks to Amos ,"Whoa there boy,that is neigh way to do things behind the bar,letting customers tabs"Mount Up", so high.just take the bit between your teeth and think!   you are the one who will  be"Saddled",with the bills if they decide not to pay,Amos you cant just let this"Ride",as  for those youths coming in and acting all aggressive just tell them they have to"Hoof It",and find some other watering hole.If you dont take action soon Amos I will have no choice but to take the ,"Reins" in hand myself.Remember theres no free rides  if you want to work in this pub,no wages for nothing here,you just get in  harness and pull your weight from start to finish.Fair enough you were off sick last month with a legitimate case of the "Trots", but theres no slacking when you are behind this bar!However at those times when  you are feeling really tired  I will always be around to "Spur ",you on !

But wasn't it always "Nay, nay Mr Wilks" as in No, no, rather than some horse impression.

They probably still poach eggs, but with Annie no longer there to "put t'kettle on" it's not the same.  And if you try telling that to the kids today, they just won't believe you.

forget dallas or dynasty's matriarchs, Annie was where its at. 

i always liked a bit of a poach as a kid. trout was my game, became a decent tickler. as a result seth was a bit of a hero  - the gentleman poacher.  

there was a time when i got greedy and ended up quite deep into take the high road. teenage weed smoking is a terrible thing.  

Mr Wilks to Amos ,"Whoa there boy,that is neigh way to do things behind the bar,letting customers tabs"Mount Up", so high.just take the bit between your teeth and think!   you are the one who will  be"Saddled",with the bills if they decide not to pay,Amos you cant just let this"Ride",as  for those youths coming in and acting all aggressive just tell them they have to"Hoof It",and find some other watering hole.If you dont take action soon Amos I will have no choice but to take the ,"Reins" in hand myself.Remember theres no free rides  if you want to work in this pub,no wages for nothing here,you just get in  harness and pull your weight from start to finish.Fair enough you were off sick last month with a legitimate case of the "Trots", but theres no slacking when you are behind this bar!However at those times when  you are feeling really tired  I will always be around to "Spur ",you on !

Might I suggest you take up the scriptwriting for Emmerdale, my father would be in Hog Heaven, yeehaw!

forget dallas or dynasty's matriarchs, Annie was where its at. 

i always liked a bit of a poach as a kid. trout was my game, became a decent tickler. as a result seth was a bit of a hero  - the gentleman poacher.  

there was a time when i got greedy and ended up quite deep into take the high road. teenage weed smoking is a terrible thing.  

Having spent much of my adult life outside of the UK, I would indulge in watching British TV programmes whenever the opportunity arose, Emmerdale Farm was always a firm favourite because of the characters like Seth, Amos and Henry.  The village pub being the centre of their universe, and where all the gossip was to be heard, now a thing of the past in the most.

My father, who will be 80 this December, now works as a gamekeeper, through the traditional route of once being a poacher (not that he needed to be, he doesn't eat meat, he just likes shooting game birds), and has to deal with gangs of hare coursers that come from as far away as Lancashire to run their dogs in Lincolnshire, these guys are known to run off in their 4x4's leaving their dogs behind, so the days of the gentleman poacher is sadly long gone.

I have never seen "Take the High Road", I had to Google it, it sounds like the enthralling entertainment that someone smoking weed might enjoy. 

had a rideout to Esholt the other w/end this used to be where Emmerdale was filmed and this pub was originally called the Commercial inn and re-named the woolpack when filming .now its all done at a purpose built studio and the pub here as been renamed the woolpack to get visitors ,the_woolpack.thumb.jpg.cb6fc804d4987888a

Comment now!

Comments are members only

Join Soul Source - Free & easy!

Sign in

Sign in here.

Sign in now!

Adverts

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.