john manship auction results 5/7/15

Rupert

10164_1sm.jpg10164_1sm.jpg10164_2sm.jpg10164_3sm.jpg10164_4sm.jpg

Jimmy Reed 

Down In Virginia

WANT SOME ACTION ?

One of Britain’s most desirable labels gives up it’s rarest album.

So few of you have ever seen this super-elusive LP, who actually owns a copy, who knows?

We rarely borrow peoples opinions on any of our Auction listings, but a man who I greatly admire and has possibly “fingered” more pieces of rare Soul vinyl than anyone else in Britain says, Quote.

“Possibly the rarest album on the label. Remember it coming out, not seen a copy in 45 years” When Tony Rounce speaks we all listen…

I’m not sure any opinion from me would enhance it’s mystic, other than validint Tony statement. When I seriously collected this label during the whole of the 70s I completed the 45s and all of the LP’s except two, and this “Jimmy Reed” was one I never acquired.

My first copy for sale - EVER. But that probably counts for not too much, as it has been validated as a stonkin’ rarity by one of the longest serving most dedicated collectors in the British Isles..

Condition by the way is absolute flawless, except for a mild sticker removal scar on the back cover by the white margin in line with the word DOWN..squint you may see it.

Rest In Peace JOE TORQUAY we shall all miss you.. 

Sorry, this item has already been won!
The winning bid was £ 222.00

10157_1sm.jpg10157_1sm.jpg10157_2sm.jpg

Betty O'brien

She'll Be Gone

A Belgium Popcorn trophy that spawned a Daly City Bob counterfeit as a PROMO copy. A very convincing replica, so convincing it still changes hands as the original press between the unaware and the unscrupulous..

So enter the infinitely rare BLACK STOCK copy - there can be no mistaking the authenticity of this 45s dress. Rarely if ever turning up for sale, this copy in flawless condition still housed in it’s birth sleeve.

This now British spun Northern Soul favourite will please those BLACKSTOCK copy addicts, condition freaks and those who simply want to look at a record they own and know 100% it is the original 1965 press.

Looks gorgeous doesn’t it.. now click the soundfile to remind yourself why this record has rammed the club dancefloors on both sides of the channel… for decades.

Rest In Peace JOE TORQUAY thinking of you..

The winning bid was £ 274.00

10160_1sm.jpg10160_1sm.jpg10160_2sm.jpg

Soul Set

Will You Ever Learn

Parallel Universes with an appreciation for Soul Music!

Strange as it may seem, whilst during the 60s Britain’s Twisted Wheel faithful were building, what in the future was going to become a worldwide cult. In fact the biggest underground music movement, perhaps of all time.

Little did these pioneers of our music know, there was a parallel universe, the other side of the Pond in the Carolinas; Soul was blossoming into not only the sound for the “white” teenagers to dance to, it was also the music to produce and sing live and perform as the “Motown” sound was the inspiration for white group mimicking. And boy, did they do it well.

In this case the “Soul Set” from deep in the backwoods of North Carolinas emerged from the small town enthusiasm for “Soul”. This 45 from Cullowhee, N.C. epitomizes the sound that the Northern Soul generation would take to their hearts, and the serious UK collectors would vigorously pursue.

Most of this style spawn from tiny pockets of “soul” awareness inevitably leading to minuscule pressing runs and future rarity. But serving the British scene with a plethora of Northern Soul rarities to consider.

This is one Premier examples, not just with it’s undisputed rarity but with a flipside that is every note as good as the a-side.. which shimmers with intense eagerness especially on the solo Sax breaks that are truly stand-out.

Silly rare and offering not one but two Northern Soul slayers.

Vinyl on this NS Trophy has some light surface marks but as you can hear plays clean, light writing on flip, and a repaired tear (see scan) 

The winning bid was £ 598.00

10154_1sm.jpg10154_1sm.jpg10154_2sm.jpg

Freddie Williams

I've Got To Live While I Can

Last Man Standing!

We consider this 45 as the finest real-deal slab of Northern Soul left, that has never been bootlegged.

Click the sound-file and step out of the way of a man on a mission to deliver full-blooded Northern Soul to your feet! As Freddie Williams plunders through Jimmy Holliday’s album only MInit recording..

Proper 100% real-deal Classic style Northern Soul at it’s most-imposing and we repeat it’s it’s never been re-issued and has always remained out-of-reach. Time for a high profile DJ to drop on this - and the price will do a Jock Mitchell!!

This copy is the rarely seen, highly attractive Black Stocker with the emergency stopping “Rainbow” logo, in just impeccable condition, throughout.

The winning bid was £ 308.00

10152_1sm.jpg10152_1sm.jpg10152_2sm.jpg

Paula Parfitt

Love Is Wonderful

As near to a Paula Parfitt DEMO as you could ever get to owning. It has been confirmed release date, was indeed 26th. of September 1969 with the “A” written on by BEACON RECORDS.

This 45 is so seldom seen for sale, I was not at all surprised to see it has been fully five years since this Northern Soul British only non-hit NS classic since it has hit these pages.

20 year old Paula’s debut single after leaving British girl-group Jeannie &The Boyfriends, then her manager Micky Clarke got Ms Parfitt a contract with Beacon Records. Which did not lead to stardom, although she had previously appeared on “Candid Camera” Paula’s showbiz career did not progess, and she sadly slid into obscurity.

This copy is a beauty, absolutely no sign of a lifetime without a sleeve, unlike most all copies I’ve encountered over the decades. This copy has beautifully clean looking vinyl, that as you can hear plays perfectly. 

Beacon of course, chose the wrong side to promote! As proved when Northern Soul DJ’s like Rick Scott, Nev Wherry acquired copies and quickly lifted Paula Parfitt into the Northern Soul floor-filler catagory, bring her the cult-fame she failed to achieve as Girl-Group Member, TV show or the record contract.

So very popular it was not long before it was bootlegged using the original label as a template. Be careful when purchasing a copy, some have large hole USA style centers, some escaped the “dinking” process and have small holes which have in the past been sold erroneously as originals.

The AUTHENTIC original 1969 British press has the “anti-slip” grips on label perimeter. The bootleg has these anti-slip grips missing. So there is no reason not to easily recognize the authentic UK original…

This is of course the 1969 original before you today..and somewhat unique as I’ve never seen one with the Beacon office release date on before, nice added touch. Remembering the quality condition, makes this disc hard to ignore.

The winning bid was £ 491.00

10158_1sm.jpg10158_1sm.jpg10158_2sm.jpg

Jean Dushon

Second Class Lover

One of Okeh’s hardest to acquire 45’s and this copy looks like it was made yesterday.. Another file only copy from the Man-with-The-Mints!

OCD condition freaks you are looking at most probably the finest example on Planet Earth.

Thumpin’ relentless Sister-R&B-Dancefloor destroyer in her finest Sunday best!

The winning bid was £ 210.00

10156_1sm.jpg10156_1sm.jpg10156_2sm.jpg

Ray And The Blue Satins

She Doesn't Love Me

Very highly regarded Texas Northern Soul rarity - that never comes to market!

Dark and moody lament of a man without love! Balance up by some fabulous horn support and a whirling hammond adding layer after layer of sympathetic despair to the already despairing lead vocal.

Very scarce Northern Soul stroller drenched in all the qualities that make DJsets memorable.

The winning bid was £ 824.00

10161_1sm.jpg10161_1sm.jpg10161_2sm.jpg

Out Of Sights

For The Rest Of My Life / You Made Me Beg

Can seriously RARE vocal-group Northern Soul get any more impressive than this legendary 45..

Click the soundfile and prepare to be dazzled..by the all inviting bongo intro, followed by rhythmic dance guitar plucking; then soaring down from way up above is a powerful falsetto… and that’s just the beginning!

The rest is a feast of neighborhood-street-corner Northern Soul that has been a NS Prize since the influential days of “Top Of The World” Stafford where the gradually maturing DJ’s left all those flimsy commercial Pop influenced Northern Soul dance tunes behind them, stubbornly staying on the until then, rarely visited path of “Proper Soul From Local Haunts”

There ain’t a commercial note or word in this creation. Delivered with anguished harmony, steered on a steady raft of horns, guitar and and those thumping instrumental intervals that epitomize the sound of Northern Soul.

PROPER REAL DEAL SOUL created for themselves, their friends, their live performances without even a passing thought of achieving a hit… and that’s exactly how we like it.

A Rare Breed Soul distilled in Cleveland, Ohio.. sipped and relished in England for over 40 years… and still remaining frustratingly Rare!

Rest In Peace JOE TORQUAY safe journey

The winning bid was £ 1,668.00

10165_1sm.jpg10165_1sm.jpg10165_2sm.jpg

Supremes

Manhattan

If you’re a serious Motown collector, you will know you are looking at a world ONE OFF! Orignally an unissued cut produced by Berry Gordy Jr., & Gil Askey intended for inclusion in the Supremes sing “Rodgers & Hart” Album but left off the vinyl album, years later in 1986 the completeness of the 25th. Anniversary CD included “Manhattan”. Then again in 2002 feature on the” Sing Rodgers & Hart” CD

This recording never reached vinyl during the 60s, making this acetate so very special.

This slice of Motown & Girl-Group history has been in my possession for over 30 years. We acquired it with the same batch of 60 + acteates from Simon Soussan, that inc: The Four tops - Jazz Workshop LP acetate, The Originals - Suspicion, Kim Weston - After The Rain, Marvelettes - Boy From Crosstown etc. etc.

This unique 10” recorded September 1966 at Hitsville studio acetate was not considered Northern Soul and got filed away and sadly forgotten, back in the 80s. Would you believe, that after more than 30 years I’ve just found it, along with a few other unissued 10”ers. from that same haul.

If your committed to the Motown Sound, we believe you may well never see this historical Supremes artifact again.. do not pass by. Motown collecting has never been more-vibrant, with this record’s uniqueness becoming more important as the years roll on and Motown collectors get nearer to the impossible completeness of the task. The real-rare stuff, like this listing, has never been harder to come by.

Rest In Peace JOE TORQUAY sleep well.. 

The winning bid was £ 160.00

10151_1sm.jpg10151_1sm.jpg10151_2sm.jpg

Julien Covey

A Little Bit Hurt

We do try every week to make these auction pages interesting, informative and colourful. So we will not hesitate to list the occasional less valuable piece of vinyl, if it has a story to tell.

This Northern Soul top 500 classic came out on several different label designs. This example being particularly attractive but NOT the first original release.

The very first WIP 6009 45 was issued in 1967 and has the Red/Black &Pink round “Eye” middle left hand side on the label.

This variation with the tall WHITE lower case “i” logo left hand side (see scan) is the 1970 2nd. press. British Island only used this styled logo for only a very short time 11 releases + any re-issues from January 1970 to October 1970. 

Although this 45 carries the 1967 catalogue number WIP 6009 it was pressed between January & October 1970. But still rarely seen for sale in neat clean condition - we shall swap the cover for the authentic plain wavy-top pink one that matches this date of the release.

The auction is not and never will be just for trophy pieces, it is also a tool for information and interesting reading that brings collectors to the site. We do hope this listing lifts the fog surrounding this issue; of what can only be described as a ripping Northern Soul floor-destroyer.

Rest In Peace JOE TORQUAY sleep easy..

The winning bid was £ 70.00

10162_1sm.jpg10162_1sm.jpg10162_2sm.jpg

Lee Jennings

Going And Get It (bring It To You) / Hutmen 

FUNK Fanciers & Detroit Doyens will be equally riveted to this rarely seen snarling endangered Michigan species, on one of Motor City best-loved independent labels.

Bruce Scott & Sonny Marshall collaborate to carve out a guttural slab of Northern Soul - FUNK infused dance; right in-step with today’s favoured styles.

After drooling of the elaborate label design (so much more intricate than the plain yellow), then check out that distinguish Lee Jennings vocal as he “Out Pickett’s The Wicked Man himself” strutting his bulldozing vocal through a sea bass guitar, horns and a competing tortured screaming sax.

Funky but not too Funky, in your face Northern Soul that stops just short of “too much” attitude! It has of course been an highly regarded collectors piece for Motor City vinyl addicts and the flipside instrumental is considered a Deep Funker.. the vocal version would fit perfectly into the In-Vogue preferences of the cutting-edge turntable drops.

Rest In Peace JOE TORQUAY we admired you from afar..

The winning bid was £ 71.00

10159_1sm.jpg10159_1sm.jpg10159_2sm.jpg

Tina Turner

We Need An Understanding / Too Many Ties That Bind

The impossible 1963 version NOT to be confused with the 1968 POMPEII66675 Johnny Northern assisted retake of the same title. Not only is this 45 a more than a 1000 times rarer, it is also a totally different mix to the 100 mph 1968 retake! But still possessing all the power & more..

Tina struts her stuff on a wave of pumping horns that she (as she does) outstrips the arrangement as her vocal peaks and snarls her way to an impressively lengthy sax-break, as the guitar driven dance rhythm relentlessly plucks away.. fabulous Northern Soul from a Queen of the sound.

Deep Soul fans, I cannot even begin to tell you of the soulful quality that lay on the flipside. And I’m sure I’m gonna cause a huge controversy when I dare to suggest it most probably inspired the make-up of the timeless masterpiece “A Change Is Gonna Come” released through RCA in 1964.. the similarities are there for everyone to hear.. Ike Turner’s ballad is a Soulful triumph in it’s own right… did Sam Cooke “borrow” or was it the other way round?

Dates suggest Sam was 2nd .. but hey they probably had coffee together one evening in L.A. and got jamming and they both used scaffolding for what was one of the greatest recordings of the last century..

Wanna hear the original concept - get ready for DEEP SOUL at is Rarerst and DEEP SOUL at it’s most moving.

Take a listen to Tina Turner “Too Many Ties That Bind” and astonishing piece of Deep Soul, that will no doubt spark lively debate. 

Rest In Peace JOE TORQUAY you meant so much to so many..

The winning bid was £ 151.00

10163_1sm.jpg10163_1sm.jpg10163_2sm.jpg

Soft Touch

Look Up, Look Down / Plenty Action

Wanna hear something very special, a slice of pure Soul Class from the hot-bed of slick Sweet Soul harmony, San Francisco an under estimated spawning ground for high-quality Soul.

Inspired by such gifted groups as The Natural Four, The Ballads etc. Philip Hunt again guides a team towards Soul excellence. Having cut some sublime material with the Diabolics, he travels over the bridge from Oakland to again crafts a seamless journey into Sweet Soul Slumberland. 

Swirling strings decorated a sharp lead vocal, later joined by a tortured hairline cracked falsetto and the backing lifts, the strings pulling the whole thing together, this is Sweet Soul at it’s most memorable.

Those of you, who like a bit of attitude from there man-time will enjoy the Norman Whitfield inspired FUNK infused stroller on the flip. Full of competitive banter, as advice flies back and forth on a wave of understated horns and bass guitar stroking. A tidy Funker.

This group are good, I’d like to hear more of them.. local soul but very well constructed.. and so RARE

Rest In Peace JOE TORQUAY no one can take your place..

The winning bid was £ 161.00

10155_1sm.jpg10155_1sm.jpg10155_2sm.jpg

Little Hank

Mister Bang Bang Man / Don't You Know

Social source share

• Replies 3
  • Views 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

10164_1sm.jpg10164_1sm.jpg10164_2sm.jpg10164_3sm.jpg10164_4sm.jpg

Jimmy Reed

Down In Virginia

WANT SOME ACTION ?

One of Britain’s most desirable labels gives up it’s rarest album.

So few of you have ever seen this super-elusive LP, who actually owns a copy, who knows?

We rarely borrow peoples opinions on any of our Auction listings, but a man who I greatly admire and has possibly “fingered” more pieces of rare Soul vinyl than anyone else in Britain says, Quote.

“Possibly the rarest album on the label. Remember it coming out, not seen a copy in 45 years” When Tony Rounce speaks we all listen…

I’m not sure any opinion from me would enhance it’s mystic, other than validint Tony statement. When I seriously collected this label during the whole of the 70s I completed the 45s and all of the LP’s except two, and this “Jimmy Reed” was one I never acquired.

My first copy for sale - EVER. But that probably counts for not too much, as it has been validated as a stonkin’ rarity by one of the longest serving most dedicated collectors in the British Isles..

Condition by the way is absolute flawless, except for a mild sticker removal scar on the back cover by the white margin in line with the wordDOWN..squint you may see it.

Rest In Peace JOE TORQUAY we shall all miss you.. 

The winning bid was £ 222.00

10157_1sm.jpg10157_1sm.jpg10157_2sm.jpg

Betty O'brien

She'll Be Gone

A Belgium Popcorn trophy that spawned a Daly City Bob counterfeit as aPROMO copy. A very convincing replica, so convincing it still changes hands as the original press between the unaware and the unscrupulous..

So enter the infinitely rare BLACK STOCK copy - there can be no mistaking the authenticity of this 45s dress. Rarely if ever turning up for sale, this copy in flawless condition still housed in it’s birth sleeve.

This now British spun Northern Soul favourite will please those BLACKSTOCK copy addicts, condition freaks and those who simply want to look at a record they own and know 100% it is the original 1965 press.

Looks gorgeous doesn’t it.. now click the soundfile to remind yourself why this record has rammed the club dancefloors on both sides of the channel… for decades.

The winning bid was £ 274.00

10160_1sm.jpg10160_1sm.jpg10160_2sm.jpg

Soul Set

Will You Ever Learn

Parallel Universes with an appreciation for Soul Music!

Strange as it may seem, whilst during the 60s Britain’s Twisted Wheel faithful were building, what in the future was going to become a worldwide cult. In fact the biggest underground music movement, perhaps of all time.

Little did these pioneers of our music know, there was a parallel universe, the other side of the Pond in the Carolinas; Soul was blossoming into not only the sound for the “white” teenagers to dance to, it was also the music to produce and sing live and perform as the “Motown” sound was the inspiration for white group mimicking. And boy, did they do it well.

In this case the “Soul Set” from deep in the backwoods of North Carolinas emerged from the small town enthusiasm for “Soul”. This 45 from Cullowhee, N.C. epitomizes the sound that the Northern Soul generation would take to their hearts, and the serious UK collectors would vigorously pursue.

Most of this style spawn from tiny pockets of “soul” awareness inevitably leading to minuscule pressing runs and future rarity. But serving the British scene with a plethora of Northern Soul rarities to consider.

This is one Premier examples, not just with it’s undisputed rarity but with a flipside that is every note as good as the a-side.. which shimmers with intense eagerness especially on the solo Sax breaks that are truly stand-out.

Silly rare and offering not one but two Northern Soul slayers.

Vinyl on this NS Trophy has some light surface marks but as you can hear plays clean, light writing on flip, and a repaired tear (see scan)

The winning bid was £ 598.00

10154_1sm.jpg10154_1sm.jpg10154_2sm.jpg

Freddie Williams

I've Got To Live While I Can

Last Man Standing!

We consider this 45 as the finest real-deal slab of Northern Soul left, that has never been bootlegged.

Click the sound-file and step out of the way of a man on a mission to deliver full-blooded Northern Soul to your feet! As Freddie Williams plunders through Jimmy Holliday’s album only MInit recording..

Proper 100% real-deal Classic style Northern Soul at it’s most-imposing and we repeat it’s it’s never been re-issued and has always remained out-of-reach. Time for a high profile DJ to drop on this - and the price will do a Jock Mitchell!!

This copy is the rarely seen, highly attractive Black Stocker with the emergency stopping “Rainbow” logo, in just impeccable condition, throughout.

The winning bid was £ 308.00

10152_1sm.jpg10152_1sm.jpg10152_2sm.jpg

Paula Parfitt

Love Is Wonderful

As near to a Paula Parfitt DEMO as you could ever get to owning. It has been confirmed release date, was indeed 26th. of September 1969 with the “A” written on by BEACON RECORDS.

This 45 is so seldom seen for sale, I was not at all surprised to see it has been fully five years since this Northern Soul British only non-hit NSclassic since it has hit these pages.

20 year old Paula’s debut single after leaving British girl-group Jeannie &The Boyfriends, then her manager Micky Clarke got Ms Parfitt a contract with Beacon Records. Which did not lead to stardom, although she had previously appeared on “Candid Camera” Paula’s showbiz career did not progess, and she sadly slid into obscurity.

This copy is a beauty, absolutely no sign of a lifetime without a sleeve, unlike most all copies I’ve encountered over the decades. This copy has beautifully clean looking vinyl, that as you can hear plays perfectly.

Beacon of course, chose the wrong side to promote! As proved when Northern Soul DJ’s like Rick Scott, Nev Wherry acquired copies and quickly lifted Paula Parfitt into the Northern Soul floor-filler catagory, bring her the cult-fame she failed to achieve as Girl-Group Member, TV show or the record contract.

So very popular it was not long before it was bootlegged using the original label as a template. Be careful when purchasing a copy, some have large hole USA style centers, some escaped the “dinking” process and have small holes which have in the past been sold erroneously as originals.

The AUTHENTIC original 1969 British press has the “anti-slip” grips on label perimeter. The bootleg has these anti-slip grips missing. So there is no reason not to easily recognize the authentic UK original…

This is of course the 1969 original before you today..and somewhat unique as I’ve never seen one with the Beacon office release date on before, nice added touch. Remembering the quality condition, makes this disc hard to ignore.

The winning bid was £ 491.00

10158_1sm.jpg10158_1sm.jpg10158_2sm.jpg

Jean Dushon

Second Class Lover

One of Okeh’s hardest to acquire 45’s and this copy looks like it was made yesterday.. Another file only copy from the Man-with-The-Mints!

OCD condition freaks you are looking at most probably the finest example on Planet Earth.

Thumpin’ relentless Sister-R&B-Dancefloor destroyer in her finest Sunday best!

The winning bid was £ 210.00

10156_1sm.jpg10156_1sm.jpg10156_2sm.jpg

Ray And The Blue Satins

She Doesn't Love Me

Very highly regarded Texas Northern Soul rarity - that never comes to market!

Dark and moody lament of a man without love! Balance up by some fabulous horn support and a whirling hammond adding layer after layer of sympathetic despair to the already despairing lead vocal.

Very scarce Northern Soul stroller drenched in all the qualities that makeDJ sets memorable.

The winning bid was £ 824.00

10161_1sm.jpg10161_1sm.jpg10161_2sm.jpg

Out Of Sights

For The Rest Of My Life / You Made Me Beg

Can seriously RARE vocal-group Northern Soul get any more impressive than this legendary 45..

Click the soundfile and prepare to be dazzled..by the all inviting bongo intro, followed by rhythmic dance guitar plucking; then soaring down from way up above is a powerful falsetto… and that’s just the beginning!

The rest is a feast of neighborhood-street-corner Northern Soul that has been a NS Prize since the influential days of “Top Of The World” Stafford where the gradually maturing DJ’s left all those flimsy commercial Pop influenced Northern Soul dance tunes behind them, stubbornly staying on the until then, rarely visited path of “Proper Soul From Local Haunts”

There ain’t a commercial note or word in this creation. Delivered with anguished harmony, steered on a steady raft of horns, guitar and and those thumping instrumental intervals that epitomize the sound of Northern Soul.

PROPER REAL DEAL SOUL created for themselves, their friends, their live performances without even a passing thought of achieving a hit… and that’s exactly how we like it.

A Rare Breed Soul distilled in Cleveland, Ohio.. sipped and relished in England for over 40 years… and still remaining frustratingly Rare!

Rest In Peace JOE TORQUAY safe journey

The winning bid was £ 1,668.00

10165_1sm.jpg10165_1sm.jpg10165_2sm.jpg

Supremes

Manhattan

If you’re a serious Motown collector, you will know you are looking at a world ONE OFF! Orignally an unissued cut produced by Berry Gordy Jr.,& Gil Askey intended for inclusion in the Supremes sing “Rodgers & Hart” Album but left off the vinyl album, years later in 1986 the completeness of the 25th. Anniversary CD included “Manhattan”. Then again in 2002 feature on the” Sing Rodgers & Hart” CD.

This recording never reached vinyl during the 60s, making this acetate so very special.

This slice of Motown & Girl-Group history has been in my possession for over 30 years. We acquired it with the same batch of 60 + acteates from Simon Soussan, that inc: The Four tops - Jazz Workshop LP acetate, The Originals - Suspicion, Kim Weston - After The Rain, Marvelettes - Boy From Crosstown etc. etc.

This unique 10” recorded September 1966 at Hitsville studio acetate was not considered Northern Soul and got filed away and sadly forgotten, back in the 80s. Would you believe, that after more than 30 years I’ve just found it, along with a few other unissued 10”ers. from that same haul.

If your committed to the Motown Sound, we believe you may well never see this historical Supremes artifact again.. do not pass by. Motown collecting has never been more-vibrant, with this record’s uniqueness becoming more important as the years roll on and Motown collectors get nearer to the impossible completeness of the task. The real-rare stuff, like this listing, has never been harder to come by.

Rest In Peace JOE TORQUAY sleep well.. 

The winning bid was £ 160.00

10151_1sm.jpg10151_1sm.jpg10151_2sm.jpg

Julien Covey

A Little Bit Hurt

We do try every week to make these auction pages interesting, informative and colourful. So we will not hesitate to list the occasional less valuable piece of vinyl, if it has a story to tell.

This Northern Soul top 500 classic came out on several different label designs. This example being particularly attractive but NOT the first original release.

The very first WIP 6009 45 was issued in 1967 and has the Red/Black &Pink round “Eye” middle left hand side on the label.

This variation with the tall WHITE lower case “i” logo left hand side (see scan) is the 1970 2nd. press. British Island only used this styled logo for only a very short time 11 releases + any re-issues from January 1970 to October 1970.

Although this 45 carries the 1967 catalogue number WIP 6009 it was pressed between January & October 1970. But still rarely seen for sale in neat clean condition - we shall swap the cover for the authentic plain wavy-top pink one that matches this date of the release.

The auction is not and never will be just for trophy pieces, it is also a tool for information and interesting reading that brings collectors to the site. We do hope this listing lifts the fog surrounding this issue; of what can only be described as a ripping Northern Soul floor-destroyer.

Rest In Peace JOE TORQUAY sleep easy..

The winning bid was £ 70.00

10162_1sm.jpg10162_1sm.jpg10162_2sm.jpg

Lee Jennings

Going And Get It (bring It To You) / Hutmen

FUNK Fanciers & Detroit Doyens will be equally riveted to this rarely seen snarling endangered Michigan species, on one of Motor City best-loved independent labels.

Bruce Scott & Sonny Marshall collaborate to carve out a guttural slab of Northern Soul - FUNK infused dance; right in-step with today’s favoured styles.

After drooling of the elaborate label design (so much more intricate than the plain yellow), then check out that distinguish Lee Jennings vocal as he “Out Pickett’s The Wicked Man himself” strutting his bulldozing vocal through a sea bass guitar, horns and a competing tortured screaming sax.

Funky but not too Funky, in your face Northern Soul that stops just short of “too much” attitude! It has of course been an highly regarded collectors piece for Motor City vinyl addicts and the flipside instrumental is considered a Deep Funker.. the vocal version would fit perfectly into the In-Vogue preferences of the cutting-edge turntable drops.

Rest In Peace JOE TORQUAY we admired you from afar..

The winning bid was £ 71.00

10159_1sm.jpg10159_1sm.jpg10159_2sm.jpg

Tina Turner

We Need An Understanding / Too Many Ties That Bind

The impossible 1963 version NOT to be confused with the 1968 POMPEII66675 Johnny Northern assisted retake of the same title. Not only is this 45 a more than a 1000 times rarer, it is also a totally different mix to the 100 mph 1968 retake! But still possessing all the power & more..

Tina struts her stuff on a wave of pumping horns that she (as she does) outstrips the arrangement as her vocal peaks and snarls her way to an impressively lengthy sax-break, as the guitar driven dance rhythm relentlessly plucks away.. fabulous Northern Soul from a Queen of the sound.

Deep Soul fans, I cannot even begin to tell you of the soulful quality that lay on the flipside. And I’m sure I’m gonna cause a huge controversy when I dare to suggest it most probably inspired the make-up of the timeless masterpiece “A Change Is Gonna Come” released through RCAin 1964.. the similarities are there for everyone to hear.. Ike Turner’s ballad is a Soulful triumph in it’s own right… did Sam Cooke “borrow” or was it the other way round?

Dates suggest Sam was 2nd .. but hey they probably had coffee together one evening in L.A. and got jamming and they both used scaffolding for what was one of the greatest recordings of the last century..

Wanna hear the original concept - get ready for DEEP SOUL at is Rarerst and DEEP SOUL at it’s most moving.

Take a listen to Tina Turner “Too Many Ties That Bind” and astonishing piece of Deep Soul, that will no doubt spark lively debate.

Rest In Peace JOE TORQUAY you meant so much to so many..

The winning bid was £ 151.00

10163_1sm.jpg10163_1sm.jpg10163_2sm.jpg

Soft Touch

Look Up, Look Down / Plenty Action

Wanna hear something very special, a slice of pure Soul Class from the hot-bed of slick Sweet Soul harmony, San Francisco an under estimated spawning ground for high-quality Soul.

Inspired by such gifted groups as The Natural Four, The Ballads etc. Philip Hunt again guides a team towards Soul excellence. Having cut some sublime material with the Diabolics, he travels over the bridge from Oakland to again crafts a seamless journey into Sweet Soul Slumberland.

Swirling strings decorated a sharp lead vocal, later joined by a tortured hairline cracked falsetto and the backing lifts, the strings pulling the whole thing together, this is Sweet Soul at it’s most memorable.

Those of you, who like a bit of attitude from there man-time will enjoy the Norman Whitfield inspired FUNK infused stroller on the flip. Full of competitive banter, as advice flies back and forth on a wave of understated horns and bass guitar stroking. A tidy Funker.

This group are good, I’d like to hear more of them.. local soul but very well constructed.. and so RARE

Rest In Peace JOE TORQUAY no one can take your place..

The winning bid was £ 161.00

10155_1sm.jpg10155_1sm.jpg10155_2sm.jpg

Little Hank

Mister Bang Bang Man / Don't You Know

A timeless Twisted Wheel ANTHEM!

But try find it as the original non-hit USA PROMO copy in flawless condition iside a birth-sleeve. Our 15 year old sales data suggests this is no-easy capture for the collectors of Northern Soul classic PROMO’s

Rest In Peace JOE TORQUAY ..in our thoughts for a long time to come..

The winning bid was £ 50.00

Tried too mate, but still not quite up to Joe's standards - RIP Joe

Social source share