Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Peter99

Whatever Happened To............................?

2 hours ago, RICK SCOTT said:

And what would Kids Today make of the fact that back then your Fish 'n' Chip Supper came wrapped in Old News Papers.

Classed as a cheap meal back then too, Now look how much Fish, Chips And Peas cost, But we still love 'em..........................

Always taste better out of newspaper Rick.

Pete

27 minutes ago, Steve S 60 said:

Can anyone remember the Mudlarks?

download.jpeg.004e5867725fbeda7dd089f9e092080d.jpeg

I suspect this was based on boat travelling families. One of the members on here is from a gyspy familty who lived and worked the rivers. He hasn’t been on here for ages but he’s still out and about dj’ing. 

Pete

2 minutes ago, Ahoy Sailor said:

I wonder if he’s received his telegram from the Queen yet? 

He probably did some time ago. Incidentally, you now have to apply for one (so with the elderly getting more numerous and the dreaded memory loss the palace are probably trying to save money), and of course it's now a card, as the Queen has abandoned telemessages.

Who collected Marbles and Cigarette cards? like most people i collected the Special marbles (not the clear with a little colour swirl in them) but those really beautiful coloured ones, there are bound to be people on here old enough to remember these, and of course the iron bullies.

Cigarrete Cards were another collectors item and available with certain packs of tea packets too, oh the good old days of lose tea ( which you can still get) but looks more like granules and doesn't taste the same and having to pour your tea through a tea strainer.

There were football Player cards, Butter flies, Trains, etc.I'm sure there will be some one who can put some examples up on here for you to look at.

AND there was a game i think called Black Jack where you put a Jack on the back of your hand tossed it up and picked up another jack and catching the Jack from the back of your hand as well, and then put two two Jacks on the back of your hand and repeated this prosess until you Failed and the winner was the one with most jacks succesfuly picked up.

I think you could get both lead jacks and plastic ones too.      

Edited by RICK SCOTT
more info

58 minutes ago, RICK SCOTT said:

Who collected Marbles and Cigarette cards? like most people i collected the Special marbles (not the clear with a little colour swirl in them) but those really beautiful coloured ones, there are bound to be people on here old enough to remember these, and of course the iron bullies.

Cigarrete Cards were another collectors item and available with certain packs of tea packets too, oh the good old days of lose tea ( which you can still get) but looks more like granules and doesn't taste the same and having to pour your tea through a tea strainer.

There were football Player cards, Butter flies, Trains, etc.I'm sure there will be some one who can put some examples up on here for you to look at.

AND there was a game i think called Black Jack where you put a Jack on the back of your hand tossed it up and picked up another jack and catching the Jack from the back of your hand as well, and then put two two Jacks on the back of your hand and repeated this prosess until you Failed and the winner was the one with most jacks succesfuly picked up.

I think you could get both lead jacks and plastic ones too.      

We used to play marbles in the cast iron drain covers in the school yard.  I think the object was to get your marbles in the top row of the grating.  Football cards were popular, swapsies always took place at school.

Jacks was definitely  a girl's game.  I think one version involved bouncing a small rubber ball while you picked up the jacks.

2 minutes ago, Steve S 60 said:

We used to play marbles in the cast iron drain covers in the school yard.  I think the object was to get your marbles in the top row of the grating.  Football cards were popular, swapsies always took place at school.

Jacks was definitely  a girl's game.  I think one version involved bouncing a small rubber ball while you picked up the jacks.

Yes, was a great time Swapping your Ciggy Cards, Play time game of Knocky Down (Leaning cards up and trying to knock your opponents cards down) and the usual game go flicking cards trying to cover or touch cards to win them (must have been a name for that game), We were easily pleased in those days Steve but they were Fun Times. 

2 hours ago, RICK SCOTT said:

Who collected Cigarette cards? 

I still have this set, and a letter by the artist with a couple of sketches showing me how to draw birds better.  Charles Tunnicliffe was an amazing artist, and was responsible for a number of collections of cards, my father has an original painting on his bedroom wall by him of an otter, which one day will be mine.

1104706377_Tunnicliffebirdportraits.jpg.1ea9f61e77cd699a3683081d8d6d8f6d.jpg

10 hours ago, the yank said:

It looks like your marble has a distant cousin - 

marble.jpg

There are lots of them around, mostly in collections now, I stupidly gave one away years ago with the Eiffel tower in it, thinking they were common, never seen another of that.  I've seen blue ones and green ones and even some with coloured objects inside.  But they are scarce objects.

2 hours ago, TattooDave said:

There are lots of them around, mostly in collections now, I stupidly gave one away years ago with the Eiffel tower in it, thinking they were common, never seen another of that.  I've seen blue ones and green ones and even some with coloured objects inside.  But they are scarce objects.

Those marbles reminded me of this - really good hobby as a kid. We had a couple in our house. I don’t think it’s been mentioned yet.

https://goo.gl/images/TZw7zG

33 minutes ago, Peter99 said:

Those marbles reminded me of this - really good hobby as a kid. We had a couple in our house. I don’t think it’s been mentioned yet.

https://goo.gl/images/TZw7zG

That stuff has spawned many a talent, the clear resin used these days is superior in quality and the imagination holds no bounds.3d-goldfish-art-in-clear-resins-by-gerardo-chierchia-2__880.jpg.ec87e61904f62547ae203fa0e1bad578.jpg3D-Goldfish-Art-in-clear-resins-by-Gerardo-Chierchia16__880.jpg.f93ca56342f9c441238ccc72aac5f299.jpg

Whatever happened to the twonk that put a picture of Jocky Wilson behind Dexy's Midnight Runners on their TOTP appearance singing Van Morrison's Jackie Wilson Said, even though Kevin Rowlands said he told them to do it for a joke, I have come to disbelieve a lot of what he says.  He/ she is probably head of BBC research by now.

Dexys-Midnight-Runners-008.jpg.1f0b4038fdbea55c01372003b9938f1e.jpg

35 minutes ago, Spain pete said:

Jumpers for goal posts  , mother screaming your tea's on the table , pleading with Mrs Jones  can we have our ball back please, OH HAPPY DAYS 

All the kids on our estate used to play football on the local Grammar School playing fields.  It was great in the summer as they put some nets up for us.  Trouble is, the PE teacher wasn't too impressed with us kicking a ball against his cricket nets.  He'd come racing across the playing fields in his old Rover P4, but we'd be long gone by he time he got there.

2006AE9724_jpg_ds.jpg.61fbb66e2bb0ce403df945fc63619558.jpg

Pestered Mum and Dad relentlessly for one of these , my pleas were answered in the end ( no doubt just to shut me up ) and I gleefully bounded out onto the lawn to give it some ... unfortunately Dad had just cut the hedge and I picked up a handful of blackthorn spikes in about a minute , all attempts to repair the sagging hopper were to no avail ( bicycle repair patches would just not stick to the plastic) and he was unceremoniously confined to the dustbin ... :(

Edited by WoodButcher

19 minutes ago, WoodButcher said:

Pestered Mum and Dad relentlessly for one of these , my pleas were answered in the end ( no doubt just to shut me up ) and I gleefully bounded out onto the lawn to give it some ... unfortunately Dad had just cut the hedge and I picked up a handful of blackthorn spikes in about a minute , all attempts to repair the sagging hopper were to no avail ( bicycle repair patches would just not stick to the plastic) and he was unceremoniously confined to the dustbin ... :(

did you mean one of these?

2416661315_57a15c8bc4_o.thumb.jpg.880ca63405b214366278b2bc6010d6ec.jpg

On 02/07/2018 at 13:02, Steve S 60 said:

The guy who came round the pubs at the weekend selling little pots of cockles, mussels and whelks.

Oh yes-When He came into the pub,we would all shout-" Ast got any crabs on thee,cock?"(Stokie Humour)

2 hours ago, WoodButcher said:

Still a major problem even since the so-called crackdown on scrapyards dealing in cash , f*c*in' pikeys will never stop unfortunately ... :(

Just to be a slouch of a pc twerp, but, its not just effing "pikeys" is it. Plenty of other thieving miscreants out there robbing. 

I actually know quite a few traveller/showmen families. I had the honour of speaking at a close friends funeral recently - I was the only speaker, and thought I might bottle it, but I didn't. Not, great speakers my friends, but they are fiercely loyal. One of my friends prefers to complete business in a bare knuckle boxing match - he's fearsome and fearless. His brother is less physical, but would think nothing of sticking a shot gun up you're arse. He thought it amusing that he had been red dotted by armed police three times last year.   

:pirate:

2 minutes ago, WoodButcher said:

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one and leave it there , my history with them goes back decades and I shall not be viewing them as loyal loveable rogues any time soon ... :thumbsup:

That's fair enough - I didn't intend to paint them as romantic, lovable rogues. They are however, the most discriminated group of people in the UK.

Incidentally, my dad who was a wrong un, and dead by the time I was eleven years old, had us evicted and made homeless, for stripping lead from church roofs. He wasn't a traveller, I'm not really sure what he was. He did die with a Rosary in his hand.

7 hours ago, Soulsides said:

Whatever happened to nicking the lead off the church roof ?

I was living in one of those dodgy little council estates in an “ungentrified” corner of Islington in London as recently as this century. Fantastic, four-storey buildings, full of charm, put up in the 1920s that somehow escaped the Blitz.

Anyway, coming back home from a Sunday afternoon out and there’s a man on a ladder up doing something to the open porch at the entrance to our block.

A couple of people had sort of given the guy a cheery wave as they went past. He responded similarly and we did the same going through the door he was above, which also got us a hearty hello.

Local paper comes through the door a few days later and it turns out our cheery chum was up there on the ladder in broad daylight nicking all the lead off all the porches on that small estate.

Got to say that even now I take my hat off in salute to his completely brazen approach to thievery! 

10 hours ago, Peter99 said:

That's fair enough - I didn't intend to paint them as romantic, lovable rogues. They are however, the most discriminated group of people in the UK.

Incidentally, my dad who was a wrong un, and dead by the time I was eleven years old, had us evicted and made homeless, for stripping lead from church roofs. He wasn't a traveller, I'm not really sure what he was. He did die with a Rosary in his hand.

10 hours ago, Peter99 said:

There is a difference Peter between a pikey and a gipsy ( round here anyway) think a pikey is more like a diddicoy ( lol) pretend gipsies . 

Comment now!

Comments are members only

Join Soul Source - Free & easy!

Sign in

Sign in here.

Sign in now!

Adverts