Peter99

Whatever Happened To............................?

It was the Corona man who came to our estate. Unfortunately we didn't have enough money to buy stuff :( but in hindsight none of us ever got into fizzy drinks :thumbsup:

Corona was at the expensive end for our house also Chris apart from the odd bottle or two to go with the bar of choc and the bag of crisps that would be the  what we called "Treat night", when my Dad got paid usualy a Thurday night, the bottle of pop  unlike the bar of choccy and the bag of  crisps each of us got was shared between all,three kids and my Mum and Dad.My gran though who I stayed with most weekend's when young used to have four bottles a week delivered ,ah luxury,along with the cakes and scones she used to bake that I would watch every step of the process while listening to her many tales of Scotland and heroes ,adventures and animals.She used to do a wicked elderberry and blackcurrant drink we used to help her pick the ingrediants for from the nearby Hazel Woods(Sounds like a girls name does it not)

Corona was at the expensive end for our house also Chris apart from the odd bottle or two to go with the bar of choc and the bag of crisps that would be the  what we called "Treat night", when my Dad got paid usualy a Thurday night, the bottle of pop  unlike the bar of choccy and the bag of  crisps each of us got was shared between all,three kids and my Mum and Dad.My gran though who I stayed with most weekend's when young used to have four bottles a week delivered ,ah luxury,along with the cakes and scones she used to bake that I would watch every step of the process while listening to her many tales of Scotland and heroes ,adventures and animals.She used to do a wicked elderberry and blackcurrant drink we used to help her pick the ingrediants for from the nearby Hazel Woods(Sounds like a girls name does it not)

I have to say though when our Mum was working shifts and Dad wanted to go down the pub, he took us with him and we got the obligatory bottle of fizz and a packet of crisps, we then had to sit outside or the in the back of the car (firms van, no back seats) until he was done. You'd probably get done for child negligence nowadays if you did that !

d

Still around ?

Blow Football.jpg

the pic on box lid bears no relation to the disappointing contents. Us 60s/70's kids were often duped by toy adverts. Striker anyone remember that?.

Whatever happened to this................

apeel.thumb.png.abcab9bb65077bdfc9eeac43

had the orange in this format can't recall name of it

d

Still around ?

Blow Football.jpg

the pic on box lid bears no relation to the disappointing contents. Us 60s/70's kids were often duped by toy adverts. Striker anyone remember that?.

It is orange!

:lol:

brand I had was different, one pictured wi the dayglo colour I thought. It was lemon. ? 

the pic on box lid bears no relation to the disappointing contents. Us 60s/70's kids were often duped by toy adverts. Striker anyone remember that?.or flight deck 

remember Striker very well, my brother still has it.  He also kept a board game called Wildlife, we played it last Xmas, still good fun, considering it was 40 years old!

And these...

wayfinders-1966.jpg?w=292&h=300

63835d1257978727t-escape-compasses-l-l_i

Remember having a pair of the Moonshots.  Handy if you ever got lost in a lunar landscape.  Came with a lunar landing module which had a magnet on the back.  A picture of the moon's surface on the inside of the shoe box lid so you could land your module.  Hours of fun.

I feel a Johnny 7 Gun getting a mention soon , please don't , I wasn't bloody allowed one Doh ! but my mate Mr. clever bollocks got one !!!  :(

Some things you just never get over.  I got one, but had to wait until my 21st birthday.

With "The Man From Uncle" about to hit the cinemas, how about this beauty?  Might have problems getting through airport security though.....

The dream of all dreams, the whole set in the case, holy grail for budding child spies.

I can't comment on any of the toy/ game related threads thanks to my earlier misdemeanour regarding my Christmas present of a carpentry set, see earliest childhood memory thread or whatever it's called.  I feel deprived, which is a change from my usual feeling of depravity, however as an adult I did amass quite a collection of Britain's, Johillco, Charbens, Pixieland Kew and other hollow cast lead animals, circus stuff, farm carts etc. which I have in the most disposed of via ebay and done very nicely out of too.

th_(2).thumb.jpg.c0d250ee277a0787ec759e2th78JLNT64.thumb.jpg.c38a98f97fb4aee0c41th5JV6KZ61.thumb.jpg.5b5f716c1ca267be54d

Whatever happened to this................

apeel.thumb.png.abcab9bb65077bdfc9eeac43

I was going to say whatever happened to that other Bird's creation, Angel Delight, but it's still going, unlike Instant Whip, which I believe has left our shelves.

I was going to say whatever happened to that other Bird's creation, Angel Delight, but it's still going, unlike Instant Whip, which I believe has left our shelves.

Detestable stuff, second only to that horrible school pink blancmange that even now has the capacity to make me heave.

You need to keep up Chris! :rofl:

Manus posted these up on an earlier reply - although in fairness he did call them "ma knackers"!

$_35.JPG?set_id=8800005007

Manus posted these up on an earlier reply - although in fairness he did call them "ma knackers"!

Whatever  ever happened to my mum and the neighbours talking about thefts fron their washing lines,knickers etc,there was an Arnold Lane about or a "Snowdropper",as they were more commonly known.

These came free with Kellogs breakfast cereals in about 1963, as a young lad of 10 years old I thought they were great, a real eye opener on the world !!

Kellogs cards_0001.jpg

Kellogs cards_0002.jpg

Boo gar ,my mistake the above was mean to be a reply to Pete saying about his mum and the neighbours talking about heavy breathing on the phone,nothing to do with cards ,sorry Chris.

Edited by manusf3a

Whatever happened to Tarzan and Jai?

ron-ely-tarzan.thumb.jpg.4634da889bda131

I dont know Pete but Cheetah went off to own his own mansion ,sit around the pool drinking bottles of his favourite beer and being driven round hollywood on the back of a motorbike till he got so old he needed to go into care. The famous words "Um Ba wooCheetah,Umbaw oo! 

Edited by manusf3a

Whatever happened to kids on reins?

Being pampered lazy gits staying too long in pushers,my non pc answer,known many examples over recent years,I'll get my coat before the mothers start!

One kid a freinds son of four and a bit still insisted on being in the pusher when he could get away with it is anything more than a walk to the end of the path.I see lots of kids that look to my mind to old for pushers.The reins would help the mother or father keep control with another two kids in a pram buggy,when all the ages were close as in my family ,11 months between me and my sister and 18 between her and my brother I can rember walking along with a hand on a double buggy legs going like pistons to keep up round the town

Edited by manusf3a

Detestable stuff, second only to that horrible school pink blancmange that even now has the capacity to make me heave.

I remember the way it used to come out of the metal jugs it would stand in rows in,I cant say pour because it was in a state somewhere between liquid and solid and poured the way you would imagine "Flubber",would.This combined with the pink colour  and it would be served hot to top it all off made this desert one of the most hated.The memory of seeing this substance being splatted for the first time still stays with me from my first day at infant school dinners! served with what was essentialy prison duff that it got splugged over the top off by a dinner lady holding one of those standard metal jugs!.No matter what food the school kitchen was cooking  the same smell used to come from the kitchens,infant and junior school used to dish up a version of stew with big chunks of meat and carrots in served in those jugs and it had a strange aroma to it that I can almost smell today if I concentrate and I still cant make out what it is -was?it would leave a taste in your mouth for hours afterwards not helped by the pudding or water that was there to drink.No doubt the school toilet paper usage soared on stew day!

Oh yeh,I wonder what has happened to the infamous brown paper parcel wrapped in string that kids would be given especially in infants school to bring home in certain articles of clothing  that fell victim to "Stew days",effect on the bowels".Parcels of shame as they wrapped soiled trousers and pants and every other kid knew this as the bearer of such a parcel walked among them at hometime and in my day most kids even at infants after the first few months made their own way home there wouldnt be many parents waiting at the gate to spirit away the parcels and their bearers saving the child shame and embaressment from his or her peers!.

I remember the way it used to come out of the metal jugs it would stand in rows in,I cant say pour because it was in a state somewhere between liquid and solid and poured the way you would imagine "Flubber",would.This combined with the pink colour  and it would be served hot to top it all off made this desert one of the most hated.The memory of seeing this substance being splatted for the first time still stays with me from my first day at infant school dinners! served with what was essentialy prison duff that it got splugged over the top off by a dinner lady holding one of those standard metal jugs!.No matter what food the school kitchen was cooking  the same smell used to come from the kitchens,infant and junior school used to dish up a version of stew with big chunks of meat and carrots in served in those jugs and it had a strange aroma to it that I can almost smell today if I concentrate and I still cant make out what it is -was?it would leave a taste in your mouth for hours afterwards not helped by the pudding or water that was there to drink.No doubt the school toilet paper usage soared on stew day!

Oh yeh,I wonder what has happened to the infamous brown paper parcel wrapped in string that kids would be given especially in infants school to bring home in certain articles of clothing  that fell victim to "Stew days",effect on the bowels".Parcels of shame as they wrapped soiled trousers and pants and every other kid knew this as the bearer of such a parcel walked among them at hometime and in my day most kids even at infants after the first few months made their own way home there wouldnt be many parents waiting at the gate to spirit away the parcels and their bearers saving the child shame and embaressment from his or her peers!.

Can't remember getting much joined up meat at school, Manus.  It was minced by the time we got it, apart from the odd occasion we got hot pot or tattie hash.  I can remember one lad who would eat anything, so we'd all pile our unwanted turnip, cabbage, sprouts etc onto his plate.  Tapioca or semolina used to be the most hated school duff.  Used to get a spoonful of rose hip syrup with the semolina, as if that was going to make a difference.

And what happened to...................:(

Oh oh Chongo.....it's Danger Island next.

Comment now!

Comments are members only

Join Soul Source - Free & easy!

Sign in

Sign in here.

Sign in now!

Adverts

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.