Peter99

Whatever Happened To............................?

Still get Poppets, 25p a box round here.

Still get mint poppets,the dark  choccy covered ones,mmmmmmmmmmm.Revels ripped off orange choc poppets,toffee,and cocanut   ones  all then slung in with the others and branded Revels.

I was partial to these though - sweet peanuts!

Sweet-Peanuts.thumb.gif.e7bbeda08989ba8b

Bloody hell you are bringing out the big guns now Pete! loved these, just a thought anyone reading this thread are going to find all these techni colour  photos of the sweets from our early days  are if like me are going to be conjuring up in their imaginations the wonderful aromas and tastes of the said items as we run through the pages one after another hitting the sense centres conjured up by our vision.I could almost be eating the previous three ,panther bar,sweet crunch peanuts and the choccy tool bars!Not a good thread for those on a diet! Mind you there are some counters such as the school dinner pink flubber and stew to provide some balance ha ha. 

Edited by manusf3a

I have to say though when our Mum was working shifts and Dad wanted to go down the pub, he took us with him and we got the obligatory bottle of fizz and a packet of crisps, we then had to sit outside or the in the back of the car (firms van, no back seats) until he was done. You'd probably get done for child negligence nowadays if you did that !

We had Sunday walks Chris that would end up at the pub ,if the weather was good we would be sat outside at a table with a bottle of shandy(about 0.001 per cent) and a bag of crisps while they my Mum and Dad that is  went inside.My Dad too had the use of a works van when not many folk round our way had cars and also share the experience of sitting in the van when my Dad would nip in for a pint ,we always got the kid bottled shandy I thought was the biz and walkers crisps(apart from golden wonder the only brand about).

Edited by manusf3a

We had Sunday walks Chris that would end up at the pub ,if the weather was good we would be sat outside at a table with a bottle of shandy(about 0.001 per cent) and a bag of crisps while they my Mum and Dad that is  went inside.My Dad too had the use of a works van when not many folk round our way had cars and also share the experience of sitting in the van when my Dad would nip in for a pint ,we always got the kid bottled shandy I thought was the biz and walkers crisps(apart from golden wonder the only brand about).

Whatever happened to Rishy XL Cheese Crisps, undoubtedly the undisputed king of the potato snack when we were kids, unspoiled by the addition of onion?

Edited by Steve S 60

Whatever happened to Rishy Xl Cheese Crisps, undoubtedly the undisputed king of the potato snack when we were kids, unspoiled by the addition of onion?

What a sheltered life I must have had, I've not heard of quite a few of the things on here, were these named after a cheesy football team?

What a sheltered life I must have had, I've not heard of quite a few of the things on here, were these named after a cheesy football team?

Sorry Dave, should be XL not XI, thought I'd edited it.  Rishy XL Crisps were a northern brand I think.

Sorry Dave, should be XL not XI, thought I'd edited it.  Rishy XL Crisps were a northern brand I think.

Sounds much better as a football team, were they extra large crisps? Enquiring minds want to know, well mine at least.

Don't know how widely they where available, but they where made in my home town, Conisbrough in South Yorkshire, the factory shut around 1974.  :thumbsup:

Whatever happened to... Go carts made from old pram wheels and a bit of flat wood, leathel down a steep hill, still got a scar on my knee to this day.

Whatever happened to... Spin the bottle, Kick out can and Peggy - Games we played on the council estate.

Whatever happened to... Giant mud flaps for scooters, fashioned out of conveyor belt rubber from the pit, great for doing wheelies.

Whatever happened to good old marbles. Different ways of playing with them - I remember one game played in school playground grates.

marbles_1416257369.thumb.jpg.204a8ffe6b8

The good old days Peter, when a onesie was a normal size marble, not an overgrown romper suit.

Whatever happened to good old marbles. Different ways of playing with them - I remember one game played in school playground grates.

marbles_1416257369.thumb.jpg.204a8ffe6b8

thPWXE39WL.thumb.jpg.909636f43c79d4c9cf4thBWXS1BFS.thumb.jpg.9e3012bfb3812ce8e93thNS876MS3.thumb.jpg.59d4d799c92f4b874d4

I always felt the Americans went over the top with marbles, these are very collectable, called "sulphides", somehow you'd just hate to lose one in a game.

And sticking with the rural theme , whatever happened to making your own "Itching Powder" from handpicked , sun-dried  Rosehips , a far superior product to the stuff that the 'townie' kids had to buy from the Joke Shop .... :wicked:

6-rose-hip-inside.jpg

And what happened to our favourite summer holiday activity , being sent out with my best mate , a farmer's son , at the age of twelve / fourteen , armed with a pitchfork , a box of matches and a .410 ... !!!

Task for the day ... stubble burning after harvest , a wonderful way to spend a still , warm August day ... :yes:

The .410 was for the bunnies hiding under the straw , waste not want not ... :wink: 

straw-burn-2.jpg

Whatever happened to looking for a dock leaf when you'd got nettled.?

My back garden is always full of monster nettles , but there was no Dock to be found ... so I imported some from my Dad's garden , I regularly get nettled when wandering about in the dark whilst out with the 'scopes at night and now I can treat it immediately ... :thumbsup:

Comment now!

Comments are members only

Join Soul Source - Free & easy!

Sign in

Sign in here.

Sign in now!

Adverts

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.